how hard is it to change oil cooler to a aluminum one?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

Re: how hard is it to change oil cooler to a aluminum one?

#16 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi Lemuel
It sounds like you have fundamental problems in both your engine and transmission you might entertain rebuilding both.
jacques

Lemuel Libunao
356 Fan

#17 Post by Lemuel Libunao »

i have never saw one ..either...anybody got a pic of a heat shield!

Lemuel

Eric Cherneff
356 Fan

#18 Post by Eric Cherneff »

Eric Cherneff
1966 912

356 Registry database manager

Sterling Vaden
356 Fan
Tag: Where is everybody going?

#19 Post by Sterling Vaden »

Adjusting the idle mixture screws will have little effect on the fuel mixture in 4th gear at 70 mph.

Really, though if the oil cooler fins are plugged up with debris, then replacing the cooler is a waste of money. Removing the generator and fan to check is not that hard. Cleaning the fins may just fix your problem. If it ran so many years without problem, why does it suddenly need a new part to run the way it did before?

Fixing the transmission may be harder, or maybe it is just the shifter adjustment.

Oil temperatures can also run high if you are using high viscosity oil. If you are using 20W-50, try 10W-40. (the second number is the important one in this case).
SV
356*D = 912
http://picasaweb.google.com/456311

Lemuel Libunao
356 Fan

#20 Post by Lemuel Libunao »

Tranny is ok ...I was a piece if rubber that got caught up in the linkage.....I'll get some time today..I mean tonight...

Lemuel Libunao
356 Fan

#21 Post by Lemuel Libunao »

Tranny is ok ...I was a piece if rubber that got caught up in the linkage.....I'll get some time today..I mean tonight...Maybe take out the generator...

Keith Mattioli
356 Fan

#22 Post by Keith Mattioli »

Here's a pic of the heat shield installed

I just received one from Ab and plan on installing it the first day I get from from work while it's still light outside :(
Attachments
100_2171.jpg

Lemuel Libunao
356 Fan

#23 Post by Lemuel Libunao »

i was at jim liberty's place i finally saw one this late afternoon..he had screws bolted it down...the tend to fall off from the vibration ..stock ones..

Lemuel

Lemuel Libunao
356 Fan

#24 Post by Lemuel Libunao »

well pulled out the generator...saw the oil cooler ...dirty but not plugged up...the fins can allow the air through....took the oil filter canister appart...its all globbed up....could it be?

Lemuel Libunao

Lemuel Libunao
356 Fan

#25 Post by Lemuel Libunao »

here is a few pics i took with that camera of my friend that has a tube ...soapy one is after the dark ones were before...shots..

i found out that the valves are tight...i cant get .004 for the intake and .006 exhaust..will that cause over heating??

Lemuel LIbunao

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

#26 Post by Barry Brisco »

Lemuel Libunao wrote: i found out that the valves are tight...i cant get .004 for the intake and .006 exhaust..will that cause over heating?
Yes. What do they measure at?
Barry Brisco
1959 356A Coupe 105553, Ivory / Brown
2009 987 Cayman, Carrera White / Beige (daily driver)

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#27 Post by Dick Weiss »

During many years of keeping 356's on the road, I've seen a lot ot the so-called heat shields missing on various engines--excluding the Euro heating system which never needed it--no way to attach it, anyway; it uses its own downward air flow pieces.

Since the double-flap lower air guide (flapper box) was introduced on the S90 in '59, it took awhile for the factory to include it on the later engines, but the little lip(s) on the boxes still existed for the heat shield piece even tho the heated cooling air was exhausted below and rearward of the engine vs. the single up-turned flap which exhausted directly against the muffler creating a 'heated envelope' near the oil pump.
However, checking the oil temp system indicates there isn't a lot of excess to be concerned if the oil cooler (early or mid-series steel) are clean for the air to flow thru even w/the 16-blade fan; the later hi-meshed cooler gets clogged easily if you have an oil leak from the pulley seal and having the 28-blade fan won't get enoiugh air thru the fins if the bottom 3rd of the cooler is clogged!

Having a good condition large oil pump will maintain a good flow of oil and cooled w/a 16-blade fan, but the later fan housing w/its venturi ring is a better choice for cooling.
If the small oil pump exists, carefull assembly is critical to get a good pressure and flow.
I have access to an A cp which I couldn't fit the heat shield panel w/o cutting it narrower during its rebuild in '04, so I made special deflectors onto the single-flap box to 'flow the air' downward before the stock muffler, and added shields to the box's inner sides preventing any heated air getting to the pump. The oil temp @ 85+ (or higher if no one's looking) never goes past 1100 o'clock w/regular oil, small pump, and calibrated instrument--verified w/a heat gun.

Dick

Lemuel Libunao
356 Fan

#28 Post by Lemuel Libunao »

Barry , I ran out of time today...had to run to work...but at tdc..both valce closed on 1cylinder...tried to put .004 into intake and it wont go....006 to exhaust won't go through the filler gauge..meants no clearance...

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

#29 Post by Barry Brisco »

Barry Brisco
1959 356A Coupe 105553, Ivory / Brown
2009 987 Cayman, Carrera White / Beige (daily driver)

Sterling Vaden
356 Fan
Tag: Where is everybody going?

#30 Post by Sterling Vaden »

As long as the valves are not holding open, you are OK, but they should be set to proper clearances. So if you wiggle the rockers and they wiggle, this is not the source of your problem.

I guess that finding glop in the oil filter canister means that it is not flowing or filtering. Clean the pinhole in the center return tube or fix whatever problem that is causing it. The oil filter canister does dissipate some heat, but probably not enough to influence engine temperatures. If the rest of the oil is real thick though, that could be a problem.
SV
356*D = 912
http://picasaweb.google.com/456311