outside temp guage?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Lemuel Libunao
356 Fan

outside temp guage?

#1 Post by Lemuel Libunao »

where do you mount the outside temp guage..

i have seen them by the handle on the right side ...but does anybody have measurements from the glove box and bottom of the dash?

thanks
Lemuel Libunao

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

Re: outside temp guage?

#2 Post by Barry Brisco »

Lemuel, as that was an uncommon factory option, I'm not sure there is a "factory" location. The position probably varied depending on the whim of the installer and the owners preference.

here's a photo of where a friend of mine mounted an outside temp gauge in his 356B T6 coupe outlaw, centered above the radio hole. The button just to the left of it is a starter button.
interior steering wheel.jpg
Again, not "factory". I suggest you mount it where you think it looks best.

Best regards,
Barry Brisco
1959 356A Coupe 105553, Ivory / Brown
2009 987 Cayman, Carrera White / Beige (daily driver)

Charlie White
356 Fan

#3 Post by Charlie White »

Information about the outside/inside thermometer can be found in Service Bulletin F 11/63, and in the B/C Factory Workshop Manual, pages S TRA 49-50. See:

http://derwhites356literature.com/LittleKnownFacts.html

CW

PS: the measurements are 405 & 10 mm.
Attachments
IOthermometer2a.jpg
Charlie White

Barry Brisco
356 Fan

#4 Post by Barry Brisco »

Charlie, thanks for your post! I stand corrected.

Best regards,
Barry Brisco

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jules Dielen »

I believe there was the option of ordering the car with the temp gauge instead of a clock (so clock deleted). I have seen this on C cars, not a B as in Charlies drawing.

It would then go in place of the clock like Barry's friends car has (it is FREEZING in that pic!)
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Barry Brisco
356 Fan

#6 Post by Barry Brisco »

Jules, when the ignition is off the outside temp gauge needle goes to zero. ;-) It's a powered gauge, not a passive design like a mercury thermometer.

Best regards,
Barry Brisco

Richard Milstead
356 Fan

#7 Post by Richard Milstead »

Barry,
There were essentually two "standard" ways to mount the Outside/Inside Thermometer optional accessory available for the late T6 and C models (An Outdoor only version was not available in this timeframe at least officially). If installed by the Factory this was listed as #9168 and required a 6 week lead time. If ordered to be installed by the dealer (or someone else) it was #9167. Charlie's drawing shows how the dealer was instructed to mount it. The picture below shows a car with it installed by the Factory. As can be seen from this photo the reason for the 6 week lead time is obvious, the configuration of the Dash was actually different. As a side note, the Accessories Brochure does not seem to indicate that either/both Fahrenheit or Centigrade versions were available or at least were distinctly orderable. In original installations I have only seen Centigrade versions but it is true that both Motometer and VDO the OEM suppliers did make both versions. Also the dial on originals that I am familiar with have green numbers.
Dick Milstead
Attachments
d63c_3.jpg
Dick Milstead

Richard Milstead
356 Fan

#8 Post by Richard Milstead »

Barry,
The outside gauge is absolutely NOT powered. It is a gas filled capilary tube and registers all the time. I have no idea where you got that idea. Please inform me as I currently have an original Porsche from a 65 C and it certainly doesn't work that way!!!!!
Dick Milstead
Dick Milstead

Jack Staggs
356 Fan

#9 Post by Jack Staggs »

Barry, your first response was a mere 5 minutes after the question was asked, hardly enough time for folks that aren't guessing to respond. I hope Lemuel didn't butcher his dash at your suggestion. Oh yeah, I forgot once again! This is 356 TALK, a conversation, not 356 HELP. Sheesh.

p.s. Nice job Charlie, posting the correct advice at 3:56!
p.s.s Reproduction temp gauges are electric.

Richard Milstead
356 Fan

#10 Post by Richard Milstead »

Another Image. The attached is the photo and description from the Accessories Catalog showing the Factory installation configuration. Hopefully the image which was originally scanned from a poor Xerox and then compressed to fit here will be clear enough to be seen.
Dick Milstead
Attachments
phpmVIwl3AM.jpg
Dick Milstead

Charlie White
356 Fan

#11 Post by Charlie White »

Dick,

I like the two gauges in the center of the C dash! And it makes sense that it took six weeks to get a factory installation on order. One other comment in the workshop manual is that the temp gauge can replace the clock, and the clock can go to the right side of the dash by the grab handle. If the center hole is already there, you have a choice, but I like the factory layout better.

CW
Charlie White

Charlie White
356 Fan

#12 Post by Charlie White »

The config from the workshop manual. Thermo gauge in center, clock to the right.

CW
Attachments
IOTherClock356C.jpg
Charlie White

Barry Brisco
356 Fan

#13 Post by Barry Brisco »

Richard, my friends gauge is powered. Jack has noted that the repros are powered. I am not disputing that the originals were not powered. I am always glad to be corrected!

Best regards,
Barry Brisco

Graham Kidd
356 Fan

#14 Post by Graham Kidd »

I restored a late model SC coupe with the clock and outside guage mounted in the middle like the ones shown and the following picture is a Carrera 2 thats in the workshops with the temp in the middle and clock off to the right,I will try to get a better picture next week.

Lemuel Libunao
356 Fan

#15 Post by Lemuel Libunao »

so the hole is 60 mm....

right.. well the guage measures 60 ...so i want to make a 61mm??

Lemuel