windshield wiper positioning and blades

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Len Christie
356 Fan

windshield wiper positioning and blades

#1 Post by Len Christie »

I am not OCD about originality, but would like to (1) know just where each wiper parks normally on my "64 SC and (2) the shape of each wiper arm. Are the two different with one, the right sided one, being angled? Any help much welcomed!
Thanks.
Len
still looking
I searched. Anyone Know if the Stoddard offering or "repro original wiper arms for the SC are correctly angled fpr the windshield. tried asking Stoddard but no responsehttp://porsche356registry.org/356talk/post/edit.html?f=1&p=135626#
Last edited by Len Christie on Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

Re: windshield wiper positioning and blades

#2 Post by Dick Weiss »

Len,

Both arms are the same including their bent ends so the blades will be parallel to the bottom of the windshield when parked.

Dick

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#3 Post by Geoff Fleming »

Just a bit of trivia here, regarding wiper arms. There were also wiper arms that parked on the passenger side. I had these when i first bought my '63.
After re-setting the drive to get the arms to park on the driver's side, I found that they were contoured differently and had to get a pair of regular arms to make them fit.
Who knew?

Len Christie
356 Fan

#4 Post by Len Christie »

Many thanks folks. Seems there are many variations. My car has 2 different arma; one angled and one straight so their positioning is not interchangeable. The "park" with the left side (angled one) pretty flat at the base of the windshield, but the drivers side is 3-4" off the base and in the line of sight for the driver. Seems wrong?????????????
Len

roy mawbey
356 Fan

#5 Post by roy mawbey »

Len,

It might help if you look on the http://www.stoddard.com site. Click vintage parts, then 356 parts, then electrical, then on the drop down windshield wipers. The page that opens shows all the different arms and wiper blades they supply. They do vary in size on model types. Drawing dimensions are shown on the page.

Geoff, my RHD wipers park horizontally on the windscreen rubbers on the right side. The RHD and LHD arms have the angle at the end of the arm that are opposed to each other. I believe RHD versions are no longer available and if I had to use LHD versions the parking position would also have to be changed to the LHD side.

I attach a photo of my RHD wipers parked. They do not obstruct vision when parked and I have seen so many 356 cars with arms parked at an angle 1/4 of the way up the screen. Len is correct in trying to get this matter correct. Hope he does it.
wiperpostion.jpg
Roy
RHD356Asuper75 106954
ROY ALAN MAWBEY

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#6 Post by Dick Weiss »

The R/H drive A cp (to which I have access) had the straight-ended short VW wiper arms and w/the wiper blades having the screw retainment many years ago and solving the problem, I acquired a pair of the proper length arms for the A series and angled the tips to suit the parked location to the right side of the windshield so the proper length wiper blades fully sweep the glass vs being short approx. 3" @ the top.

Dick

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

#7 Post by Barry Brisco »

Len Christie wrote:Many thanks folks. Seems there are many variations. My car has 2 different arma; one angled and one straight so their positioning is not interchangeable. The "park" with the left side (angled one) pretty flat at the base of the windshield, but the drivers side is 3-4" off the base and in the line of sight for the driver. Seems wrong?
Len, wiper arms are easily replaced and/or modified. After 50+ years it seems reasonable to assume that some, if not most, 356s no longer have their original wiper arms in their original configuration.

It is my understanding that the arms should park on the drivers side, and that originally both arms were the same type and shape. Adjust their parked position relative to the bottom edge of the windshield as you see fit.

Best regards,
Barry Brisco
1959 356A Coupe 105553, Ivory / Brown
2009 987 Cayman, Carrera White / Beige (daily driver)