A sad and happy story

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jim Nelson
356 Fan

A sad and happy story

#1 Post by Jim Nelson »

In late April, Registry member 7720 Tom Bechet passed away, ultimately from the fight against cancer and complications arising from a bone marrow transplant. He was my best friend for well over 30 years, and in his mid-50's, so this was a surprise, as this was not high on the list of possible outcomes.
I bought my first 356 from Tom in 1977, a '62 ruby red T6 Notchback with 19,000 miles, and it was a great car. In the late '80's, he bought a '63 S90 Cabriolet with a truly splendid document trail from an extremely meticulous second owner, who had bought the car in July 1965. When Tom bought the car, it had 65,000 miles on it, and it now has a bit over 71,000, so not a lot of miles in 20 years.
To my extreme surprise, he had arranged for me to take custody of his baby. So the little green 356 has made its way to the West Coast, and now it starts...
It has its original paint and interior. It has its original, complete tool kit. It had a replacement top (vinyl, ugh..) about 30 years ago. One headrest, seat belts, "anti-drone" mats, a Becker Grand Prix, two loudspeakers, and a travel kit, as per COA. It's numbers match, and the engine is a strong runner, surprising given it sat for about 18 months. Still, the running gear will get attention to make sure it's re-commissioned safely. It is missing its travel kit. It had a clutch at 69,000 miles. New tires at 58,000 miles. It averaged a bit over 22 mpg during break-in, and about 27 after that. The second owner documented every fillup, the cost, the location, and every dime he ever spent, as did Tom. It has the original owners manual, service manual, radio service manual and warranty, an early COA, and a host of other interesting reading. We found the original radio in the last box we looked in when cleaning his garage, and Becker has agreed to restore it.

So a few questions..
I have both sets of original keys. There are four! While I can find spots for three of them, I can't help but think I've overlooked something. One works for ignition and doors; the next for the gearshift lock; a third for the hood lock--but the fourth----is a mystery. Any ideas?

At the end of the day, I'll miss Tom tremendously--more than you could express on this board---, but at least I'll be happily reminded of all the good times as often as I can.
[/img]

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#2 Post by Jim Nelson »

Aha! Glovebox it is... Thanks very much for the help, I was starting to scratch my head...

Rich Behrends
356 Fan

#3 Post by Rich Behrends »

Your lucky to have such a great friend. As for the key I think it's the glovebox key.
Check out this link
http://www.lockandkeyid.com/gheglovebox
Rich Behrends
lurking since March 09

David Van Dyke
356 Fan

#4 Post by David Van Dyke »

Jim,

Tom Bechet thought a lot of you for giving you the custodianship of such a beautiful Cabriolet.

All original!!!! The real fun starts now.

This forum will be very helpful. What is the color..???GREEN.

I'd bet that after a couple of nice brisk drives the Cabriolet will spring back to a GREAT driver.

Do you still have the '62 Notchback?

Your story is just another reason to "Keep the Faith"

Best Regards,
David
David G. Van Dyke

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#5 Post by Jim Nelson »

I wish I still had the Notchback, it was 201641. Sold it in the mid 80's. Ruby Red/Grey Leather/Oatmeal, 1600 Super, , a wonderful runner. Gets better every time I tell the story, too.

Jim Beam
356 Fan

A sad and happy story

#6 Post by Jim Beam »

Jim
Glove box?
Jim
1963B Coupe
1987 911 Coupe

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Jul 21, 2008 12:22 PM
To: 356talk@356registry.com
Subject: [356Talk] A sad and happy story

In late April, Registry member 7720 Tom Bechet passed away, ultimately from the fight against cancer and complications arising from a bone marrow transplant. He was my best friend for well over 30 years, and in his mid-50's, so this was a surprise, as this was not high on the list of possible outcomes.
I bought my first 356 from Tom in 1977, a '62 ruby red T6 Notchback with 19,000 miles, and it was a great car. In the late '80's, he bought a '63 S90 Cabriolet with a truly splendid document trail from an extremely meticulous second owner, who had bought the car in July 1965. When Tom bought the car, it had 65,000 miles on it, and it now has a bit over 71,000, so not a lot of miles in 20 years.
To my extreme surprise, he had arranged for me to take custody of his baby. So the little green 356 has made its way to the West Coast, and now it starts...
It has its original paint and interior. It has its original, complete tool kit. It had a replacement top (vinyl, ugh..) about 30 years ago. One headrest, seat belts, "anti-drone" mats, a Becker Grand Prix, two loudspeakers, and a travel kit, as per COA. It's numbers match, and the engine is a strong runner, surprising given it sat for about 18 months. Still, the running gear will get attention to make sure it's re-commissioned safely. It is missing its travel kit. It had a clutch at 69,000 miles. New tires at 58,000 miles. It averaged a bit over 22 mpg during break-in, and about 27 after that. The second owner documented every fillup, the cost, the location, and every dime he ever spent, as did Tom. It has the original owners manual, service manual, radio service manual and warranty, an early COA, and a host of other interesting reading. We found the original radio in the last box we looked in when cleaning his garage, and Becker has agreed to restore it.

So a few questions..
I have both sets of original keys. There are four! While I can find spots for three of them, I can't help but think I've overlooked something. One works for ignition and doors; the next for the gearshift lock; a third for the hood lock--but the fourth----is a mystery. Any ideas?

[Image: http://www.postimage.org/gxGzuCr.jpg ] (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gxGzuCr)

[Image: http://www.postimage.org/aVAfFSS.jpg ] (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aVAfFSS)

At the end of the day, I'll miss Tom tremendously--more than you could express on this board---, but at least I'll be happily reminded of all the good times as often as I can.
[/img]

Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.
1963B (T6) Coupe
1987 3.2 Carrera
1985 FJ60 Landcruiser
1993 Miata