What type & size of tires to use / what fits? / "best" tire?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

What type & size of tires to use / what fits? / "best" tire?

#1 Post by Barry Brisco »

This topic is one of three new permanent "sticky" topics in the Main Discussion Forum. This topic is for an ongoing discussion of what type & size of tires to use / what fits? / "best" tire?

As long time 356Talk members know, certain topics are discussed over and over again. This is because the topics are obviously of interest to many 356 owners, and because it is not always easy to search the Forums and find earlier discussions of the topic.

Whenever a new topic is started relating to "what tire to use?" that topic will be locked and then linked to this permanent sticky topic, where everyone is welcome to discuss that question and share their knowledge.

In this way, those posting about a frequently asked question are quickly directed to the permanent topic about that subject, where they can find a long history of discussion and hopefully answers to their question.

NOTE: in this permanent "sticky" topic, please keep your posts focused on the subject being discussed and avoid "me too" and "I agree!" type posts that do not add useful information to the discussion. Extraneous "chit chat" type posts in this topic are subject to removal. For more information, see this topic in the Forum and Site Q&A

Thank you.
Barry Brisco
1959 356A Coupe 105553, Ivory / Brown
2009 987 Cayman, Carrera White / Beige (daily driver)

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

Re: What kind of tires to use / what is the "best" tire?

#2 Post by Barry Brisco »

Wm Lozada wrote:Contemplating replacing the tires on my dad's pre-a coupe. Currently running 185/65/15 Continentals on reproduction aluminum Rudge knock offs.

Realized when disassembling to have a look at the rear axle seal, that in order to take the rim/tire off, we had to deflate the deflate the tire!

I know the tire topic has been beat to death. I've read the resources on the registry site, talked to the vendor of the repro Rudge Knock Offs etc., but here's the deal:

I think we have come down to a type and size of 165HR15 and we're looking at the Coker Vredestein:

http://store.cokertire.com/165hr15-vred ... -tire.html.

They are on back order until August; but, as I started researching on the web, I came across various guys with some in stock, but I was curious:

1. What's the difference/preference:

VREDESTEIN 165HR15 SPRINT CLASSIC
VREDESTEIN ORIGINAL STYLE 165R15 SPRINT+

2. Will the problem of having to deflate the tire be resolved (imagine if we had a flat!!)?

3. Any other recommendations?
steven mclean wrote:On my 55 coupe running 155/15 bf goodritch bought at tire rack,com,makes rim look larger like it has 16" rims Have them on three of my cars now very happy with them.Will go under rear fender well no problem.
Barry Brisco wrote:
Wm Lozada wrote:1. What's the difference/preference:
VREDESTEIN 165HR15 SPRINT CLASSIC
VREDESTEIN ORIGINAL STYLE 165R15 SPRINT+
The difference is explained on the Vredestein website:

Sprint+
http://www.vredestein.com/Banden_Bandty ... dtypeID=16

Sprint Classic
http://www.vredestein.com/Banden_Bandty ... dtypeID=17

I prefer the latter because they look more vintage. They seem like good tires. I've had them on two different 356s I've owned.
Edwin Ek wrote:Check DFW Tire in Dallas-Fort Worth. They have a website. Mention the Early S Registry and you'll get a 10 or 15% discount.
Alex Mestas wrote:The Vredestein Sprint Classic is a great tire that looks good on our 356's
Bob DiCorpo wrote:This company has a better price than Coker on the Classics.
http://www.tiresunlimited.com/ALL%20TIR ... lassic.htm
George Walling wrote:I'm running the Sprint Classics on my 55 Speedster and like the looks. I've always had to deflate the tires to take them off or put them on the rear of the car. I would have probably tried the 155 X 15 size if I could have found them here in this little town, But I went with the Sprints 165 R 15 for now. I will try the 155 next time but for now I carry a can so spare tire and I also have a 12 volt air pump and a small lawn mower 12 V battery. I keep charged up and in the trunk in a plastic box just in case I do have a flat. The reason for the can of spare tire is just in case I leave home and forget the 12 volt battery. I have been told that any of the pre A cars that had 16" wheel and have been changed to 15" have the same problem of getting the tire to clear the brake drum and rear fender lip ever since the tire companys quit making the 5.60 X 15 tires and went to the new tire sizes. I did have a 6 V air compressor years ago that I carried but of cource now they are not found. Well hope this helps you and gives you some other ideas to fix your problem. Have A Great 356 Summer.
Salvatore Inciardi wrote:I have to join the recommendation for Vredestein Sprint Classic tires...I bought a set of 165 HR 15's for my '64C....I bought them through http://onlyoldiesgarage.com/xcart/home.php

Very good pricing...speak with Sam.
Bill Coghlan wrote:I had my rims straightened earlier this year and purchased a set of Sprint Classics from Universal Tire in Hershey, PA - they shipped them directly to the wheel shop - as I recall, the shipping was very inexpensive compared to most - it might have been a promo at the time, not sure, but I did shop around. https://www.universaltire.com/vredestein.html

The combination of the wheel repairs and tires improved the handling of my car dramatically.
Franny Brodigan wrote: We just put BFGoodrich white walls on our '58 Cab and they are really great tires with great grip. We found a wide range of prices on the web so shop around a bit for whatever you decide on.

About the flat issue... We carry a tubless repair kit (any auto parts store) and a small foot pump in case of a nail or screw. The tire can be fixed on the car and then pumped up, providing the puncture is standard in the thread and the tire is still in good shape otherwise. It may save having to jack up the car and replace the tire. We haven't needed it yet, but the 987 Boxsters don't even carry a spare - just an electric pump and tire goo. I'm not a fan of the goo, so I have a repair kin in that car too.
Jim Liberty wrote:On my '52 and '55 I am running 3.25/16 rims. Tires are Avon 165/16, and I have to deflate the tires on the rear also, and do a lot of pulling and pushing to get them on. The same with my '55 Speedster yeras ago wit 15" rims. I suspect the tires that were stock with these cars were a lot narrower.
Norm Miller wrote:Wm,
Imagine if you had a flat? You wouldn't have to deflate it!
If you carry a std. 16" on the 3.5/4" wheel it can be installed without deflating,
Or. a 135X15 spare, works too.
Omar Almada wrote: Same problem on my 52 coupe rears. Dunlop 3.25x16 . no problem on the 53 cabrio with the same tires, and I found some 560x15 Firestones for the speedster and fit and look great.
Al Zim wrote:In the early 60's we worked on a lot of cars that hand 16 inch wheels. The rims were 3.25 inches across not 4.5 or larger. The fender cut on the rear was closer to the drum of the A and later cars. On the 16 inch rims we used Harley-Davidson tires that was pretty much all you could get. I was never able to find a 15 inch rim and tire that you fit on a pre-1956 vehicle while inflated. al zim

Pat Daily
356 Fan

#3 Post by Pat Daily »

Here is the link to Unlimited Tires in Ohio--I ordered my Vredesteins from them and had them shipped to my installer. Worked great. Their prices seem reasonable.

http://tiresunlimited.com/ALL%20TIRES/V ... lassic.htm

Here is the link for my installation with photos.

http://porsche356registry.org/356talk/t ... vredestein

I have had these tires for 2 years now with no problems and they seem to handle well, even when autocrossed.
Pat Daily
Midlothian, VA
356B coupe (121123 aka "Fast Frieda") 

Steve Domenicone
356 Fan

#4 Post by Steve Domenicone »

Falken Ziex ZE912s on 5.5 inch wheels. 195/65R15s. The fit is good except for a little rubbing in the wheel wells while turning the wheels all the way left or right. The tires have a nifty asymmetrical tread pattern as well.
Stephen Domenicone, LTJG, USN
VP-30, NAS Jax,
Jacksonville, FL  32299 

Dave Russell
356 Fan

5.5" rims and tire rub

#5 Post by Dave Russell »

I'm trying to run 5.5" rims on my 1960 roadster with drums. The age old question is , can I run a 195 / 70 tire without getting tire rub. Should I go down to a 60 series tire to prevent problems? Thanks Vancouver B.C.

Kevin Wills
356 Fan

Re: 5.5" rims and tire rub

#6 Post by Kevin Wills »

A 60 would be wider. 185 65s would be a better choice IMO.

Roy Lock
356 Fan

Re: 5.5" rims and tire rub

#7 Post by Roy Lock »

I am running 195/60 15's on my Roadster. The body work is very straight on the rear quarter panels and there is very little room to spare.

The fronts are fine.

Next time, I will install 185/65 15's. The force required to turn the steering wheel is not as great because there is less frictional footprint due to narrower tires.
Roy Lock  
Registry #1704
356 Club of SoCal #0018
62 S90 Roadster "Ole Blu"
63 S90 Sunroof Coupe "Fritz"
70 Dodge Challenger T/A "Pinky" 

Kai Lindfors
356 Fan

Re: Pics of wheel/tire combos please!

#8 Post by Kai Lindfors »

This is my first message here as a 356 owner to be (car arrives on Friday), so a big hello to everyone here.

The car is a 1962 T6 Super in ruby red and now sits on its original chrome wheels with Super hubcaps. I'm looking to go into a more street racey, slightly Carreraish look with painted wheels and no hubcaps. Also thinking of bumper delete and Speedster buckets but that's a different story...

The 1st question is should I go for 5,5 or 4,5 inch width. The 2nd question is what tire size is best for each width and for the street race look. I don't want to mess up the light steering or get any tire rub. Pros/cons/comments?

If any of you guys have photos you could post showing how a B looks like on either skinnier or wider wheels, with different tires, I'd be very grateful for your help.

Brgds from across the water in Helsinki, Finland

Kai

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

Re: What type & size of tires to use / what fits? / "best" t

#9 Post by Edwin Ek »

Kai,
What about 4.5's in the front and 5.5's in the back? Fights oversteer and doesn't affect steering feel. Looks good too, like a 70's 911.

I agree about going with painted wheels instead of chrome ones. Vredestein tires are very popular now. Sprint Classics come in both sizes for the stagger, are HR rated, not too expensive, and have a good vintage look.

165/78's on the front and 185/70's on the rear.

Kai Lindfors
356 Fan

#10 Post by Kai Lindfors »

Edwin Ek wrote:Kai,
What about 4.5's in the front and 5.5's in the back? Fights oversteer and doesn't affect steering feel. Looks good too, like a 70's 911.

I agree about going with painted wheels instead of chrome ones. Vredestein tires are very popular now. Sprint Classics come in both sizes for the stagger, are HR rated, not too expensive, and have a good vintage look.

165/78's on the front and 185/70's on the rear.
Hi Edwin

sorry for the late reply and many thanks for the advice. I did look for 165/70s and 185/70s but couldn't find any over here.

Instead I got 175/70HR15 Vredestein Sprint Classics in all four corners, the wheels are aftermarket 5,5 inchers. Got them installed a few days ago.

Cheers and enjoy the 356 weekend

Randy Kaplin
356 Fan

5"x15" Alloy Wheel Tire Size - 55 Speedster for autocross

#11 Post by Randy Kaplin »

I have recently been autocrossing my '55 Speedster at local PCA autocross events.

Over the course of the past year I have added alloy wheels ( XZX 165 x 15 Michelin tires) and 17.5 mm Swaybar kit (purchased from Willhoit) as well as Vic Skirmant's Camber Regulator on the rear (softer street version). All of these items have made a significant improvement in the corning and handling of the car. The Camber Regulator really changed the feel of the car when the backend starts to drift (very controlled feel to the car while it is drifting).

The limitation of the car now appear to be driver capability (that's my problem) and tire contact area. Needless to say the current tires provide minimal contact area and the car could benefit from wider tires, however I am certain the limiting factor is the rear wheel well clearance. Flaring the wheel wells is out of the question since the car has just undergone a restoration.

Any ideas regarding tire sizes or changes from the 356 Registry group or should I just leave good enough alone and work on the "driver capability" piece of the equation?

Thanks,

Randy
Attachments
P1030160.jpg
P1030161.jpg

John Lamorte
356 Fan

#12 Post by John Lamorte »

I have used Vredestein 185/70/15 on 5.5 rims for years and really like the look and the way they handle. I use 27 pounds of pressure up front and 30 at the rear. They wear nicely, do not make road noise and are a very good tire which looks period correct.

Freddy Rabbat
356 Fan
Tag: Real Carreras have 4 cams

#13 Post by Freddy Rabbat »

I am using the Michelin XAS H165/15 with Michelin tubes from Coker on the Carrera... it is far better than the old XZX I had there for 10 years and the H gives you some little peace of mind when driving at higher speeds... (pictures are in wide angle and overexposed to help see the tires)

On the T2 Coupe I use the tubeless Vredestein 165/15 that is a sensible solution with great quality/cost ratio!

Freddy
www.356carrera.net

John Lamorte
356 Fan

#14 Post by John Lamorte »

I have used the Vredestin 185/70/15 tires and really like them a great deal. They are not too expensive, wear well, have no road noise and look close to period correct.

Good luck!

Gene Wesolaski
356 Fan

Tire Recomendations

#15 Post by Gene Wesolaski »

Greetings,

It is time for new rubber on my New Hampshire 356A coupe. Because it is so rare that this comes about, I thought I would ask for recomendations good or bad. I don't mind springing for the extra coin but I would like something that is responsive, gives a nice ride and is quite. The car never sees a snowflake or raindrop if I can help it. I was thinking about a "Grand Touring Summer" tire, what ever that means. As far as the size goes, I'm open on that as well. Currently I have 195/75R15, they do not appear to be available through regular channels.

Thanks in advance.
Gene