What kind of oil should I use / what is the "best" oil?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Salvatore Inciardi
356 Fan

Re: What kind of oil should I use / what is the "best" oil?

#16 Post by Salvatore Inciardi »

Thanks for the link and providing the reference that has been referred to in so many instances on oil selection...Not everyone has it...

Seems this should be THE reference anyone is given whenever there are any questions on oil, the viscosity needed, etc...All of the posts searching for "the best oil", which is the subject of this thread, should get it.

Thanks for providing it.

Bob DiCorpo
356 Fan

Looking for Castrol 20w50 Classic Car Motor Oil

#17 Post by Bob DiCorpo »

Would anyone have a source where I can buy Castrol 20w50 Motor Oil, formulated for classic car engines? It's the one with the high Zinc and Phosphorus content. Thank you, Bob
Bob DiCorpo
'56 Speedster
Massachusetts 

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

Re: Looking for Castrol 20w50 Classic Car Motor Oil

#18 Post by Barry Brisco »

Hi Bob,

I would suggest using Google to search for something like "Castrol Classic XL 20W-50 for sale usa"

Is that the specific Castrol product you are referring to? I find quite a few sources in the U.K. but so far none in the USA.

Or do you mean Castrol SYNTEC 20W-50? See http://www.castrol.com/castrol/generica ... Id=7032644

As this topic is about oil for our cars, it will be merged with the existing "sticky" topic about oils.

Best regards,
Barry Brisco
1959 356A Coupe 105553, Ivory / Brown
2009 987 Cayman, Carrera White / Beige (daily driver)

Dan Schaefer
356 Fan

#19 Post by Dan Schaefer »

I have my '64 C Coupe insured with Hagerty. In a recent Hagerty magazine, I note an ad for an oil that is formulated with a high ZDDP content for use in older engines with flat tappet cams. It comes in 10W-30 and 20W-50 weights and is touted as a "Cam saver formula". Apparently it contains some other additives, such as "Infused-Moly" for dry start protection plus a corrosion resistant to protect cars that are not driven daily.

It's called "Z-ALT Muscle Car Oil".

Anyone have any information on this product?

Dan Schaefer

Keith Mattioli
356 Fan

#20 Post by Keith Mattioli »

While doing some oil research on the Internet, in the attached URL I found the a product guide for Mobil 1 lubricants. This is dated July 5, 2011 so the information here is current and should reflect any recent reformulations that may have occurred.

http://www.mobil.com/usa-english/motoro ... _guide.pdf

I tried to attach a copy of the file but the system wouldn't allow me to attach a PDF file...

Some of the lubricants that received the SM and newly adopted SN approvals also carry relatively high levels of zinc and phosphorus. Mobil-1 15w-50 carries 1200 and 1300 PPM of P and Zn respectively.

Keith

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#21 Post by Brian R Adams »

Keith,

That's a great link, thanks. And nice find. They specifically say in the notes for the 15W-50 oil "... flat tappet applications" which is also reassuring.

However, when an oil rated "SM" (or "CJ") seems to deviate from the norm for typical SM oils, one must remain vigilant and keep tabs on the ZDDP, as there is nothing stopping the producer from abruptly lowering the ZDDP for a particular product. Note that only that particular viscosity of plain "Mobile 1" has the levels >= 1200 PPM. There will probably be nothing written on the container to indicate the ZDDP is higher for 15W-50 than for 5W-50. (If the container says something about flat tappet applications, that would be nice!)

By hunting down oils still rated SL (or CI-4) on the container, one can at least make a fairly safe guess in the store without having to find a data sheet on a web site. But as time goes by fewer and fewer SL/CI-4 oils will be available on shelves, so we will be forced to find specialty items such as this one. Happily, vendors are filling a perceived market niche now, they just need to make it a little easier for us to identify the good stuff.
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

K. Johnson
356 Fan

#22 Post by K. Johnson »

I use Mobile1 V-Twin Motorcycle oil. I rev it high, and I like the taste of Zinc!
KTF,
Kirk
member# 2112

Tom Wavrin
356 Fan

#23 Post by Tom Wavrin »

I took my car for its first drive today - a 30 miler that was over too quickly. I am using Brad Penn 30 wt break-in oil and would like to continue using Brad Penn but it is a hassle with cost of oil and shipping.
A friend has used Valvoline VR1 racing 20W50 for years with frequent oil changes. According to the Valvoline web site, with the 20W50 info updated this last June, the oil is not synthetic, is rated SM/SN, yet contains 0.14/0.13% Zn/PO4. Downside is the low ash content and detergency and possibly low acid neutralizing capacity. This oil is readily available, mid-range in price and has a long history of use. In one of my searches I ran across an interesting site called MotorOilEvaluator.com - free site - that explains some the terms used in the oil data sheets.

Tom - S. Oregon

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#24 Post by Brian R Adams »

Tom,

Assuming you don't have full flow filter system, just change the oil every 1500-2000 miles, and remove and clean the trap on the bottom of the sump every other time.

Brian

Dave Wildrick
356 Fan

#25 Post by Dave Wildrick »

Tom,
Another alternative with high zinc and phosphorus levels is Valvoline 4-stroke motorcycle oil 10w40 or 20w50. I used the 20w50 for several years, and it's available locally. Just saw it for $4.79/qt at Advance Auto Parts today.
Dave Wildrick
Houston, TX
64C coupe
65C coupe

Dan Epperly
356 Fan

#26 Post by Dan Epperly »

Sounds like this whole thing is yet another urban rumor that oil additive companies are making hay about in order to sell useless additives and overpriced oil. Check this out: http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/711.cfm

Matthew Devereux
356 Fan

#27 Post by Matthew Devereux »

Dan Epperly wrote:Sounds like this whole thing is yet another urban rumor that oil additive companies are making hay about in order to sell useless additives and overpriced oil. Check this out: http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/711.cfm
Perhaps these companies have just jumped on an existing problem and not just created a need via their marketing departments. There are many muscle car guys who experienced wiped out cams as well as Porsche engine builders who have seen more cam pitting in recent years. I can't say whether these problems extend to the 356 engine. Perhaps many problems are due to poor assembly,inferior manufacturing or materials. Does anybody really know for sure? There is no doubt wear additive levels have dropped in oils designed for modern engines but proving that this is a cause for many of the failures is tough to do. There are some experts that make this claim so I'll just use the good stuff. Its not a big deal financially when you are only using 4 quarts but gets expensive on my '95 Carrera that needs 11 quarts. Thank goodness I only do one change per year.
Matthew Devereux
'00 Boxster S
'58 356A coupe

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#28 Post by Brian R Adams »

Dan.

Nope, the author completely missed the mark. Do you find any of these keywords in that article?

ZDDP
zinc
phosphorus
flat tappet

Neither did I.

Frankly, its something of a "fluff piece" written by someone who must provide new content in a timely fashion to fill out the web site. The author obviously didn't make much of an effort to discover actual concerns of the collector car community. Google "zddp tappet cam" and find dozens of different articles. It's hard to imagine how someone writing an article about modern oils in old cars could possibly have missed the issue completely.

Michael Aiello
356 Fan

#29 Post by Michael Aiello »

Interesting thread. Mobil has an on line query service , theoretically answered by technical experts. Many of the questions are submitted by motor heads...so I sent the following:

"There is on-going controversy among motor sports and collector enthusiasts on the issue of ZDDP, specifically the concentration in oil formulations before and after the 2007 change in federal regulations. Personally, I have been using Mobil 1 synthetics since the 1980's, your formulation 0-40 exclusively since its introduction with absolutely no problems encountered, and will continue the practice in a restored all-aluminum early Porsche air-cooled motor. Your table indicates that the nominal concentration of zinc and phosphorous in 0-40 presently is 1000 and 1100 mg/l, respectively. Can you (1) address the subject generally, i.e., opine on what levels are appropriate for this application and then (2) provide the zinc and phosphorous levels in your Mobil 1 formulation 0-40 prior to the changes in federal regulations in 2007 and (3) perhaps recommend what product we might consider using for break in."

Awaiting their response.

tyler carlson
356 Fan

#30 Post by tyler carlson »

Another great on-going thread! Opinions vary wildly on this one. Synthetics-Mobil 1-Shell's Rotella-ZDDP levels-prefered brands and weight- etc, etc, etc. I prefer Valvoline VR1 racing in a straight 50wt. for most of the year and drop down to a straight 40wt. for a couple months in the winter. I live in California and our weather is mild. No matter what you choose-the soundest advice I can ad is to change it often. I say I drop mine every thousand but realistically it is at about 1200 depending how lazy I get. Filters change every other time. Seems like a waste of money-but that is why my motors last twice as long and have no problems/failures. The most important part....drive the car regularly. This doesn't mean 'regular' like once a month or 'drive your car to work day'....it means regular-like a minimum of a couple times a week. Driving to three meets a year-even if you change the oil each time doesn't cut it. Even a car stored in temperature controlled enviroment will have problems with seals and gaskets. Drive and enjoy your car.