What kind of oil should I use / what is the "best" oil?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Joseph Flood
356 Fan

Re: What kind of oil should I use / what is the "best" oil?

#31 Post by Joseph Flood »

I just read through this thread and found it very interesting.

I checked the Mobil 1 website and found this:

Question:
Correct Oil for Older Engines with Mechanical Pushrods
Do you have an oil for a 1967 Austin-Healey that has the correct additives for older engines with mechanical pushrod and such?

Answer:
Yes, Mobil 1 15W-50 should provide excellent performance for your vehicle. It has boosted antiwear (ZDDP) to help better protect the push rod / sliding cam valve train. The higher viscosity is also appropriate for older engines where clearance in bearings and piston/liner may be greater.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/Mot ... hrods.aspx

It seems like this information fits for our Porsche engines too.

Also, has any one used an oil analysis service to test the condition of their oil prior to changing it?

thanks,
--Joe

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#32 Post by Brian R Adams »

And here's Mobil's link to specs:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/Mot ... _Guide.pdf

Under Mobil 1 15W-50 it says Phosphorus 1200 and Zinc 1300 PPM.

However, it's much more expensive oil than you need to get those levels of ZDDP. Full synthetic oil is in my opinion more appropriate for modern engines having oil change schedules averaging (in 2010) around 7,800 miles — and as high as 20,000 miles in some cars, certainly far above the 1500-2500 miles bandied about on this forum for 356s.
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Curt Crowell
356 Fan

#33 Post by Curt Crowell »

Somebody asked about doing an oil analysis. Here's one done on oil removed from a "C" engine after 3300 miles using Brad-Penn 10W-30. Note additive levels eg zinc. Curt
Attachments
Oil analysis 18 June 2011 C75.jpg

Joseph Flood
356 Fan

#34 Post by Joseph Flood »

I emailed Blackstone Labs, another oil analysis company, about which oil he recommends for classic cars. Here is there response:

"Joe: We see quite a few samples from older classic cars like that and for the most part the oils are thicker, in the 15W/40 to 20W/50 range. Companies like Brad Penn and Valvoline are popular, though that doesn't mean other oils out there won't do a good job as well. You don't have to worry too much about additive levels in the oil, just try to match the viscosity with what the engine was designed for."

I believe the traditional oil change intervals derived from the breakdown of the oil, not the engine. I would think with the modern oils extending your oil life should not be a problem. I sent Blackstone Labs this as a follow up question, let's see what they say...

--Joe

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#35 Post by Brian R Adams »

From what they wrote, I'm not sure Blackstone Labs are going to be the end-all source of enlightenment on oil for 356s. Just make sure the viscosity is high enough? Seriously?
Welcome to the era of policy-based evidence-making.

Difficile est saturam non scribere (Juvenal)

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#36 Post by Vic Skirmants »

And don't forget, that with the partial filtration in stock form, the best insurance is to dump the old stuff at 3000 miles to get rid of the contamination.

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

#37 Post by Steve Proctor »

Reason to use good oil despite frequency of oil changes??? In a rebuilt 912 engine with full flow filter oil system running a System 1 oil filter, oil changes and filter cleaning at 3K or less and running Rotella with red STP when I could find it, blue if not, in 35K miles or so, can see the very beginning of pitting on the noses of lobes on an Elgin regrind cam (not a wide lobe). I recall Harry Pellow talked about cam nose pitting, citing that as the reason to use his "Maestro-master" cam. Is the cam pitting an artifact of a regrind, zinc or lack thereof in the oil or just bad karma??

STP
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#38 Post by Vic Skirmants »

All stock cams pitted after 1963. I'm assuming a change in metallurgy back in the day.

Lemuel Libunao
356 Fan

#39 Post by Lemuel Libunao »

here is my 2 cents ...since my late grandfather was in the petroleum biz ... petroleum chemist....if you look at oil under a microscope....the look like ball bearings... 10w oil goes smaller molecules and thus smaller ball bearing....and 30w oil bigger ball bearing....

the new cars have way tighter tolerances thus the need to have lighter (smaller molecule oil) to get in the in between parts...

our 356 was made for 30w... so when Al Zim is saying 30 w to use..he has a point... the thinner (smaller molecule oil) will get in the crevises and your car will leak...10w-30...10w-40 ...it means that the oil is 10 w but has the characteristic of 30 and 40 weight...at least this is what grandpa told me...

so i use 30w oil..and if the engine is tired and got a lot of milage..even 40w .... and change the oil at 1500 mile intervals..

my 2 cents
Lemon

Sterling Vaden
356 Fan
Tag: Where is everybody going?

#40 Post by Sterling Vaden »

And do not confuse the oil viscosity rating. The 10W means it flows like 10 weight in winter and 40 weight in summer, sort of. So we should be using oil with the second number, such as 10W-30, not 20W-50, if you want to use what is closer to the factory recommendation. In fact, for cold flow, you want to use oil that has the lowest first number possible. Anyway, from everything I have read, I still think this blog is the best read on the subject. Complete with a test at the end.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/faq.ph ... s_articles

SV
SV
356*D = 912
http://picasaweb.google.com/456311

Chris Ashworth
356 Fan

Brad Penn oil observation

#41 Post by Chris Ashworth »

Sorry guys, not trying to start an oil discussion. Was adjusting valves and noticed a grey coating on rockers, springs, and a distinct outline where valve cover gasket sits. It is not build up, more like a film. I have been using Brad Penn for about 3 years and have not had any issues, but the rocker boxes were always shiny and clean for the several years before switching to BP. Perhaps this is the delicious ZDDP clinging to everything. Have not checked my 911 for the same condition, oil brand switched at the same time.
Chris '64 C Coupe

Al Zim
356 Fan

Re: Brad Penn oil observation

#42 Post by Al Zim »

At the first shop I worked at (1962) we used Kendall oil. Then only available in a single weight. After advanced college degrees I ended up in Texas with a large garage behind the house. Kendall single weight was the only oil available (we used detergent oil) when the 20W/50 came out that is all we used. At that time Roger Chaney (PCA technical editor) only used Kendall Non-Detergent. We continually used that brand of oil till Conoco Phillips purchased the Kendall name an put their oil in the Kendall Bottle. As soon as Brad Penn (AKA Kendall) came on the market we immediately switched to it.
I cannot remember ever seeing the situation that you have described in any of the cars that we regularly service with Brad Penn. al zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

jeff gamble

Kendall oil

#43 Post by jeff gamble »

http://www.conocophillipslubricants.com ... +Motor+Oil

learned Kendall brand is back,, going to give the GT-1 High Performance w/liquid titanium straight SAE 40 a try vs. the Brad Penn syn 10-40 that leaks a little bit. $5.27 pr qt at Dons hot rod shop in Tucson.

Matthew Devereux
356 Fan

Re: Kendall oil

#44 Post by Matthew Devereux »

All of those oils are low on anti-wear additives (Zn and P). The 20W50 isn't quite as bad but the levels are still low.
Matthew Devereux
'00 Boxster S
'58 356A coupe

Peter Duston
356 Fan

#45 Post by Peter Duston »

I was a long time VW and porsche mechanic during the air-cooled era. I discovered the answer to this age-old question and it's very simple. Pick a quality brand or follow the brand the engine came with, change your oil frequently and NEVER change brands. All oil is different and reacts differently in your motor and with other brands. I have taken air-cooled motors apart with 100k miles with multiple brands and the inside was gunky. I have taken motors apart that had been run with only one brand of oil and found them exceptionally clean. My first hint was the 356C motor I took apart with 100k - only one brand and clean as a whistle. In the 70's and early 80's, the Porsche dealer in my area used Penzoil so I used only Penzoil ever afterwards in my Audi Quattro. After taking off the head at 185k to replace a cracked exhaust manifold, I decided to have the valves touched up. The machine shop could not believe how clean the head, etc was. No valve job and the car was running great at 235k with no sludge around the oil filler when I gave it to a local kid I now only use Mobil 5-30w in my Audi's and VW's because that's what came in them from the dealer and my engines are clean.