Combo Gauge

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Tom Roos
356 Fan

Combo Gauge

#1 Post by Tom Roos »

Anyone have a good picture of the back of their Combo Gauge from a C car? I need help with what wires go where. Need a pic that has good view of wiring.
Thanks.
Tom Roos

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

Re: Combo Gauge

#2 Post by Barry Brisco »

Hi Tom,

I are you replacing the combo gauge in your D with a C gauge? Or maybe you also own a C car. Sorry, I don't have a photo that will help you.

But Joe Leoni's electrical book will show you the wiring for everything in a 356. I think Block's Books is now selling it. However, I don't see the A version of Joe's book listed on this page http://blocks-books.com/BLOCKS-BOOKS/356_Tech_Rest.html, only the B/C version. Contact Bill and ask.

Best regards,

Barry

Tom Roos
356 Fan

#3 Post by Tom Roos »

No Barry. I'm not replacing a gauge on my D. I also have an SC.

I've got Joe's book for A cars, but not for B/C cars.

A wiring diagram is not enough help for me. I need actual pics.
Thanks.
Tom Roos

Mike Acebo
356 Fan

#4 Post by Mike Acebo »

Tom,
Tough to take but here you go:
P1030883.jpg
Mike
C Coupe

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#5 Post by Wes Bender »

For anyone contemplating removing the combination gauge, it's always a good idea to mark the wires (and maybe the back of the gauge) so that you know where they go when it comes time to put it all back together. Optionally, you can take digital pictures. (One photo is worth half a dozen questions and answers....) This carries over to many other tasks on the car.

Cheers,
Wes
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Tom Roos
356 Fan

#6 Post by Tom Roos »

Thank you, Mike.
Tom Roos
Tom Roos

Bill Block
356 Fan

#7 Post by Bill Block »

Thanks for the mention -- BLOCKS-BOOKS stocks Joe Leoni's 356A, 356B-T5 & the 356B-T6/C ELECTRICS @ $80.00 (I have added a scan of the cover of the 356A manual to clarify) as well as Joe's Headlight relays @ $90.00 and his starter relay @ $40.00 + $4.00/shipment (not item). Please see the web site (I built it myself -- suggestions always appreciated)
BLOCKS-BOOKS.com
bill

Bill Block
356 Fan

#8 Post by Bill Block »

Thanks Barry,

I have added a scan of the cover of Joe Leoni's PORSCHE 356A ELECTRICS, which BLOCKS BOOKS stocks along with PORSCHE 356B-T5 & PORSCHE 356B-T6/C ELECTRICS each @ $80.00 and Joe's SLr starter relays @ $40.00 & HLr headlamp relays (A-T5 & T-6/C) @ $90.00 + $4.00/shipment.
bill
BLOCKS-BOOKS.com

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#9 Post by Greg Bryan »

I bought a combo gauge (C) on ebay and someone had very conveniently cut all the wires and left them in place. The order of the lights - far left is the generator light, next is the Oil Pressure light, the third for the left is for the gauge night illumination (I believe) and the far right is the parking brake light. The blue wire with yellow stripe is the power and has has 5 terminals that go to the Oil Temp and Gas Gauge (bullets) and 3 that go to the idiot lights (spade terminals). The blue/yellow comes from the ignition switch. The oil pressure light has a light green wire, the Gen light is light blue, the Oil temp gauge has a light green with black stripe, the fuel gauge is a light green. I believe the parking brake light is black with a gray stripe. Brown is ground.
Good luck
Attachments
IMG_4872small.JPG
IMG_4870small.JPG
Greg Bryan