disk brake caliper rebuild

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
jay harris
356 Fan

disk brake caliper rebuild

#1 Post by jay harris »

I'm currently rebuilding the calipers on my 65 coupe. Re assembly is very difficult with the retracting mechanism in place. Question is - is there a better way to go about this, or is it acceptable to leave the retracting mechanism out??

Mark Sabbann
356 Fan

Disk Brake Caliper Rebuild

#2 Post by Mark Sabbann »

What is the difficulty you are having? I rebuilt mine and used the recommended brake cylinder lube on the cylinders and rubber seals. I used a clamp with a wood block to give a firm steady pressure on the piston to push it back into the cylinder. If there is too much pitting of either the cylinder or piston, that may be the problem with reassembly. Also, make sure to align the piston top to the recommended 20 degree angle so the pads hit the rotor correctly and do not squeal.

There have been several discussions on this forum regarding whether the retractors should remain or be removed. Preferences vary, but the logical answer is that Porsche put them there for a reason and they should remain in place.
Mark Sabbann
1964 SC Coupe 'Essy'
1965 C Coupe 'The Yellow Delicious'

Ben Wainscott
356 Fan

disc brake rebuild

#3 Post by Ben Wainscott »

Jay,
Strongly agree with Mark's comments. I rebuilt mine a year ago using the retract mechanisims. There was a lot of discussion about leaving it out and pumping the brakes occasionly and so on, but if Porsche designed it to be there, I used it. It does take some force to put the pistion back in, but I mounted a C clamp in a vice and just cranked the pistons in (making sure to protect the surfaces). No issues and I never pump the brakes.
R/Ben
Ben Wainscott
65 SC S/R coupe
89 911 Carrera
63 Vespa 150
80 Vespa P200e

Fred Gruendig
356 Fan

DISC BRAKE CALIPER REBUILD

#4 Post by Fred Gruendig »

WHEN YOU USE A C-CLAMP TO PUSH THE PISTONS BACK IN MAKE SURE THE PISTON IS GOING IN STRAIGHT AND NOT COCKED. ALSO DON'T TRY TO POWER IT IN ALL IN ONE SHOT.
FRED
65'SC COUPE