1953 porsche American

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
chip perry
356 Fan

Re: 1953 porsche American

#46 Post by chip perry »

Mark, the car didn't come with a Brumos plate frame, but now that you mention it, that's a great idea! I guess I'll start hunting for one on eBay.

I agree with Chris' lament about today's very high State tax rates on automobile purchases!

Any other old pics that folks may have from when Gary Kempton owned the car would be interesting to see on this forum.

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan
Tag: Drive 'Em!

#47 Post by Mark Pribanic »

chip perry wrote:Mark, the car didn't come with a Brumos plate frame, but now that you mention it, that's a great idea! I guess I'll start hunting for one on eBay.

I agree with Chris' lament about today's very high State tax rates on automobile purchases!

Any other old pics that folks may have from when Gary Kempton owned the car would be interesting to see on this forum.
I have a few from when he showed the car at The Amelia. First in Black, then in Green. I'll find them and post them up.
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617
Florida Owners Group Trustee - 2008-2010
Neptune Beach, Florida USA
Instagram: Mark.Pribanic

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#48 Post by Jules Dielen »

chris romney wrote:What I find amazing, and it shows you how much things have changed (not for the better) in the last 65 years is the sales tax on the America coupe. If you look at the receipt Kurt posted, the sales tax on the purchase price of $3410 was a whopping $45 or 1.32%. Even if he was only charged sales tax on the $1545 he paid (purchase price less trade in value on the MG) it was still only 2.9%. Today it's 6.35% and taxes are so high in CT that GE moved their headquarters to Boston which isn't exactly known for low taxes.
I just got back from a trip to Holland, where sales tax is 21%. I feel lucky here in AZ with 8.1%
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

chris romney
356 Fan

#49 Post by chris romney »

Jules, I'm assuming the 21% was VAT, (value added tax) not sales tax. Is that correct? VAT's of 20-30% on cars are common across Europe, as well as displacement taxes. The US is still a far better place to be a gearhead, particularly if you want to own several cars, or something with power.

Mark Sabbann
356 Fan

#50 Post by Mark Sabbann »

chip perry wrote:Any other old pics that folks may have from when Gary Kempton owned the car would be interesting to see on this forum.
Were there two versions of the American Roadster? This one at the 2007 Holiday has a single grille. Ownership unknown.
Attachments
122_2204.JPG
122_2202.JPG
122_2203.JPG
Mark Sabbann
1964 SC Coupe 'Essy'
1965 C Coupe 'The Yellow Delicious'

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#51 Post by Adam Wright »

Mark Sabbann wrote:
chip perry wrote:Any other old pics that folks may have from when Gary Kempton owned the car would be interesting to see on this forum.
Were there two versions of the American Roadster? This one at the 2007 Holiday has a single grille. Ownership unknown.
The first run was I think 13 cars and they were all aluminum. 12371 was the only steel one with a fixed windshield. It was supposed to be the first of an actual run of them but Porsche pulled the plug, and Heuer went bankrupt I think.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#52 Post by James Davies »

The yellow and green America Roadster above is 10465, the 2nd one built, owned and restored by Ron Roland, the author of one of the best do-it-yourself restoration guides for the 356.

The America Roadster was a work in progress, and Gläser built them in batches of a few at a time, changing lots of details between batches. Phil Carney wrote some nice articles for the Registry Magazine on these cars a while back.