Original Styled Key Fobs

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
steve shea
356 Fan

Re: Original Styled Key Fobs

#16 Post by steve shea »

I have an Eads fob, really nice but I think it is B style. No Reutter logo, only the porsche crest and it is slightly bigger. I also have an original in blue and a Fowler in black. Other than the aging of the leather the Fowler is identical. Silver rivets, chain, lining etc. I agree with Joris, Don's is by far the best! He is NOT making these any more. Does anyone know if the early red paper documents folder is being reproduced?
steve shea

steve shea
356 Fan

#17 Post by steve shea »

BTW I used to have an original green A fob with the Reutter logo embossed in gold and the Porsche logo on the other side was plain, green. Has anyone seen one like that? It came with a 55' coupe and I no longer have it.
steve shea

Charlie White
356 Fan

#18 Post by Charlie White »

Dick,

Here is the back of the sales brochure you mentioned. Also here is a picture of the key fob from the factory "Advertising Articles" brochure dated 10/63. Upon closer examination of the picture you mentioned, it looks like the round ring attached to the key is attached to the chain, and that the curly end of the key fob chain is actually hanging behind mostly out of sight, suggesting that the pic you mentioned actually shows the key fob with the curly end. What do you think?

CW
Attachments
KF01.jpg
KF02.jpg
KF03.jpg
KF04.jpg
Charlie White

John Lewenauer
356 Fan

#19 Post by John Lewenauer »

I (Mr. Clearly Wrong) submit that, for advertising purposes, they put the ring and key on the chain (per Mr. White) so the Porsche crest would hang upright.
1964 356 C Coupe, Togo/Fawn, Chassis 126634
Enjoy some pictures of my Togo 356 at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603043153749/show/

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

#20 Post by Barry Brisco »

John, I agree with you. Not that you are "clearly wrong" but that you are right: that marketing photo of the key in the door lock looks better for advertising purposes with the fob logo right side up. But the factory brochure image that Charlie posted shows the chain oriented in the fob the same way all the photos of original fobs I received for use in the original key fob article at http://porsche356registry.org/resources ... -fobs.html, with the twisted piece coming out of the narrow end of the fob.

That is the way I believe the fob and chain were originally assembled, and the way they were used "back in the day".

Thanks,
Barry Brisco
1959 356A Coupe 105553, Ivory / Brown
2009 987 Cayman, Carrera White / Beige (daily driver)

Carl Zapffe
356 Fan
Tag: Flying down country roads in Door County

#21 Post by Carl Zapffe »

Way to go, John! :D Smart of you to make that observation. Sometimes the simplest answer is right under our collective noses, but it takes someone like you to step back and ask what the REAL purpose for this picture was, which was to sell the Porsche logo and their cars.
Carl Zapffe
Fräulein Zuffie

Richard Milstead
356 Fan

#22 Post by Richard Milstead »

Charlie, John,
You are probably right that the "Marketing Dept'" arranged a fob to look nice for advertizing purposes. I have studied Charlie's picture and can't quite see how both ends of the chain (twisty and ring) could both be visable in the configuration as shown but certainly see how for the picture they could have taken a fob apart and reversed the orientation of the two ends. I attach a photo stolen from Paul Hatfield"s web site "Engines in Back.com" (I hope he will forgive the transgression) that shows the two parts apart so simply reversing the orientation would accomplish the desired result. However they managed the feat, arranging the fob in this way does make for a better photo op. Clever those Germans!
Dick Milstead
Attachments
DSC01663%20(Medium).jpg
Dick Milstead

Charlie White
356 Fan

#23 Post by Charlie White »

Dick,

That round ring is easy to remove from that end of the chain, and placed on the other end of the chan just below the curly ring, leaving the curly ring hanging in that picture
behind. That was my reasonsing. I also agree with the notion that they definitely would have wanted the crest right side up.

CW
Charlie White

Richard Milstead
356 Fan

#24 Post by Richard Milstead »

Not being fortunate to own an original fob, I just got out my "Zeh" repro to see how the chain could be reversed. With some effort and a pair of pliers it could be done. However, in checking out this repro the spacing of the two rivets at the small end appears to be closer than either Paul's which I pictured or the other originals that I have seen pictured. If the rivet spacing on my example was a wee bit wider it would be very easy to quickly reverse the ends of the chain by taking the ring off and then pulling the chain through which leads me to wonder if the fob was originally intended to be used either way at the discression of the owner. Personally, I have found the usually seen configuration to be a somewhat awkward particularly for the 4 different keys to my "C" Cab. That many keys doesn't fit well into the repro key fob when they are pulled back into pouch. Probably not an intended feature of the original design but just a thought.
Dick Milstead
Dick Milstead

Carl Zapffe
356 Fan

#25 Post by Carl Zapffe »

I'd be interested in hearing how this was done "back in the day" since I have an original key fob, but I never use it. Too valuable and too delicate to use. Besides, it's red to go with the original color of my interior.

With my repro fob case, I have the ignition key on the round ring with the other keys pulled up into the case when in use. Like Richard, I have three other keys including a spare, a trunk key, and a side pocket key for securing the leather pouches in my open roadster. I assume that this is the smart way to do this so that the three keys don't bang against the dash and scratch the paint, but now I am not so sure reading the other posts in this thread. How was this done "back in the day"? Was that twisted end functional or just decorative?
Carl Zapffe
Fräulein Zuffie

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

#26 Post by Barry Brisco »

Carl Zapffe wrote:How was this done "back in the day"? Was that twisted end functional or just decorative?
As I said, here is one data point: My father remembers that the chain was inserted into the leather fob such that the twisted part stuck out the narrow end. In that way, the keys could be tucked back into the fob (and yes, for open car owners with a hood lock key, or a glovebox key (cabs), or a shift lock key (T6), that is a lot of keys to stuff into the fob, but coupe owners don't have that problem and the majority of cars sold were coupes, not open cars).

And as I said, all the photos of original fobs I received for use in the original key fob article show the twisted piece coming out of the narrow end of the fob.

Certainly owners could have reversed the chain, it's easy to do with a pair of needlenose pliers, just spread the link connected to the twisted piece to remove it and put it on the other end. But I believe the way the fobs were delivered to new owners was the twisted piece stuck out of the narrow end of the fob.

Best regards,
Barry Brisco
1959 356A Coupe 105553, Ivory / Brown
2009 987 Cayman, Carrera White / Beige (daily driver)

John Lewenauer
356 Fan

#27 Post by John Lewenauer »

A reenactment of the Porsche ad using my car and Stuart fob.
Attachments
key fob ad.jpg
1964 356 C Coupe, Togo/Fawn, Chassis 126634
Enjoy some pictures of my Togo 356 at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603043153749/show/

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#28 Post by Adam Wright »

Here are some shots of mine in action, bought from Stu a few years back.
Attachments
kee3.jpg
kee2.jpg
kee1.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Carl Zapffe
356 Fan

#29 Post by Carl Zapffe »

So, the twisted end was decorative and served no functional purpose other than keeping the keys from sliding out of the pouch...

This may be heresy, but I like the present day setup much better with the main key on a ring coming out of the small end of the pouch and the other keys kept inside the pouch on a second ring so that they don't swing back and forth against the painted dash. It's much more ergonomic that way.
Carl Zapffe
Fräulein Zuffie

Steve Vogel
356 Fan

#30 Post by Steve Vogel »

Zims also sells a nice fob with the Porsche crest, but it has rings at both ends of the chain, for those who prefer that style/technique. See borrowed pic.
Attachments
Zims Fob.jpg
Zims Fob.jpg (18.39 KiB) Viewed 2045 times
'56 356A Aquamarine Blue Metallic, 1600N, All original