Original Styled Key Fobs

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Denny Zamler
356 Fan

Original Styled Key Fobs

#1 Post by Denny Zamler »

A few years past, someone was offering reproduction original styled Key Fobs with the correct style of chain and "twisted" end.

I have searched the messages and asked others. No luck.
To your knowledge, is there someone offering the reproduction Key Fobs or thinking about it?
I am sure others would be interested.

Thanks,

Denny Zamler
Denny Zamler
West Palm Beach, Fl

Max Handley
356 Fan

Re: Original Styled Key Fobs

#2 Post by Max Handley »

Contact email Spyderwerks@comcast.net

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

#3 Post by Barry Brisco »

Max, the photos of the 356 type keychains on that page do not show the end of the chain with the "twisted" part. So based on those photos it is not possible to tell if they are an accurate match to the original, but I would bet they are not.

Here is a photo of an original key fob chain that my father was given by the dealer when he bought his 59 coupe new in November 1958. The leather fob is a recent reproduction with the dark red lining, and is very close (but not exactly) like the originals. My father's leather fob disintegrated long ago.
key-fob-chain-original-brisco.jpg
My father remembers that the chain was inserted into the leather fob such that the twisted part stuck out the narrow end. In that way, the keys could be tucked back into the fob.

I have seen many 356 key fob reproductions sold and used in such a way that the key ring came out of the narrow end (and almost none of them have the correct "twisted" piece). That is not the way the original fobs were designed and used. But I could be wrong: occasionally my spouse gently suggests that I am in error. Though not about this particular issue. ;-)

For photos of several original key fobs that also show the chain used in the way I have pictured, see http://porsche356registry.org/resources ... -fobs.html

Best regards,
Barry Brisco
1959 356A Coupe 105553, Ivory / Brown
2009 987 Cayman, Carrera White / Beige (daily driver)

John Lewenauer
356 Fan

#4 Post by John Lewenauer »

I don't see any pictures in that link. Only red Xs. The pictures properties circle back to the registry here.
1964 356 C Coupe, Togo/Fawn, Chassis 126634
Enjoy some pictures of my Togo 356 at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603043153749/show/

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#5 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Denny Zamler wrote:A few years past, someone was offering reproduction original styled Key Fobs with the correct style of chain and "twisted" end. Thanks, Denny Zamler
Hi Denny,

Stuart Zeh was selling the repros with the twisted end a few years back. They were the closest to the real thing you will see.

He is probably out of them, but call me and I'll get you his info.

I hope all is well!
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Barry Brisco
356 Fan

#6 Post by Barry Brisco »

John, here is the photo on that website of their "Leather Key Fob"

Barry Brisco

John Lewenauer
356 Fan

#7 Post by John Lewenauer »

clearly WRONG.

I bought one of Stuart's. Very faithful repro and I much enjoy it in my car.
Attachments
356 fob (Large).JPG
Repro fob 356 (2).JPG
Repro fob 356 (1).JPG
1964 356 C Coupe, Togo/Fawn, Chassis 126634
Enjoy some pictures of my Togo 356 at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8292359@N06/sets/72157603043153749/show/

Barry Brisco
356 Fan

#8 Post by Barry Brisco »

John and Sebastian, thanks for reminding me, yes I bought one of the fobs Stuart Zeh was selling a few years ago. Very nicely done. It is the fob shown in my photo. I think Stuart told me that a minor difference was that the inner lining material was a slightly darker shade of red than the originals. He said this was done on purpose so people could tell his repros weren't originals. But since few people have seen an original, I'm not sure how helpful that difference really is.

And before I bought one of Stuarts, I think a year before I bought a repro that looked identical to the ones he sold but I bought it at the LA Lit show. Don't remember the name of the seller.

I wonder if Stuart got his fobs from the same source as the LA Lit show seller. They appear exactly the same.
Barry Brisco

DianeMorrill
356 Fan

#9 Post by DianeMorrill »

Hi Denny,

Please check out the new key fobs on at Goodie Store. These are reproduction of the old style......

Have a good day....
Diane

Bob DiCorpo
356 Fan

#10 Post by Bob DiCorpo »

Barry,
The key fobs at the LA Show a few years ago were being sold by Reinhold Plank from Italy. He had them made and brought them to the show in order to see how popular they were. He sold out what he brought with him, since the price was only around $50 each or less.
A few months after the show I emailed him and asked if I could purchase a dozen or so for some of my local club members. He emailed back that someone else in the US had already contacted him and would have the exclusive sales rights to the fobs in the United States. I later found out that it was Stuart Zeh. Those were the best repros I've seen. Regards, Bob
Bob DiCorpo
'56 Speedster
Massachusetts 

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#11 Post by Adam Wright »

I have one of Stuart's in my car, very nice.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Jon Finkelstein
356 Fan

#12 Post by Jon Finkelstein »

Me too. I have one of Stuart's -- black with a maroon lining. Looks incredible.
Jon Finkelstein
64 SC Coupe
Reg # 18992

Barry Brisco
356 Fan

#13 Post by Barry Brisco »

DianeMorrill wrote:Please check out the new key fobs on at Goodie Store. These are reproduction of the old style.
Hi Diane,

Are you referring to the fob shown on this page?
http://porsche356registry.org/goodiesto ... oductid=70

Here is the photo on that page:

Here is a photo of two original fobs (courtesy of Paul Hatfield):
Barry Brisco

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#14 Post by Joris Koning »

I would like to add a couple of things as there have been two other reproductions of the key fobs that I am aware of.

Warren Eads did a reproduction about 13-15 years ago. This was a nice reproduction and I would rate it between the really poor reproduction and Reinholds (Stu did not make these, he was Reinholds agent in the US)

By far the best reproduction ever made of the key fobs was done by Don Fowler. I am aware of several and they are extremely nice and almost impossible to tell from the originals. Many of Don's fobs have found their way to some of the best show cars out there. As far as I know Don is no longer making these.
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Richard Milstead
356 Fan

#15 Post by Richard Milstead »

Folks,
Just to show that those old guys in the Factory deception deptartment really did exist, I invite those of you who have a copy of Miller and Merritt's "Porsche: Brochures and Sales Literature 1948-1965 (most recent printing) to check out the photo on page 124. The picture is from the back cover of an original sales brochure entitled "Ripened by Trial" printed in Jan 1956 and shows a key that is attached to a key fob inserted into the door lock of what is obviously a square backed (pre 1957?) door handle. And why is that significant? The fob in the picture is virtually identical (except perhaps for the chain length and weight) to the key Fob in Barry's first post above. That's right the one with the Porsche Crest and the ring attached at the "small" end of the fob. The comment to the poster who said that that was "clearly wrong" maybe not so much! If some one has a copy of that brochure and could post the picture for our general edification I'm sure others would find it interesting. Incidently I bet those old guys are enjoying this immensely
Dick Milstead
Dick Milstead