Original Jack Stand

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Tony Aguirre
356 Fan

Original Jack Stand

#1 Post by Tony Aguirre »

As many of you can see by my recent front compartment posts, I am trying to freshen up my front storage area especially after seeing some pristine examples last Sunday at Dana Point.

Anyway, what are the colors supposed to be on the jack stand? The base appears to be some type of blue, but what about the portion that moves up and down on the vertical rod?

Thanks in advance,

Tony
63 S90
 Tony Aguirre
63 S90
Member 12928

Jon Wright
356 Fan

#2 Post by Jon Wright »

Hey Tony: I might suggest that you go to the Registry website, Technical Information, and go to Eric Chernoff's site on tool kits. He is thorough and good. A very good site with lots of info. Hope you are doing well and the S90 is kicking and scoting.

Jon Wright
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jon Wright »

Tony, as an addendum, Ken Daughterty has a color code for the base that matches. Kend356@insight.com. Give him a shout. Good guy.

Jeff Tanko
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jeff Tanko »

My understanding is that it was the same satin black that covered many of the original parts. If that's wrong, somebody pelase let me know.

Edit: I'm refering to the Vigot jack the early cars had. Do the later cars use a different jack?
www.regaltbird.com Speedster #80486: restoration complete :)

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

Re: Original Jack Stand

#5 Post by Barry Brisco »

A few years ago on the old list, Ken Daugherty posted that the color he found that is a very close match to the original is an early 60's VW beetle color called Sea Blue, code L360.

Thanks Ken,

Barry
Tony Aguirre wrote: Anyway, what are the colors supposed to be on the jack stand? The base appears to be some type of blue, but what about the portion that moves up and down on the vertical rod?

Jack stand paint

#6 Post by Guest »

Tony,
Go to your local hobby store, look for Testors paint in the 1/4Fl.oz bottle of "Flat Enamel # 1172, Sea Blue" It's a perfect match.
Back under my rock I go :)

Jim Alton
356 Fan

#7 Post by Jim Alton »

The best match I found at the Hobby Store is Testor's Model Master 35109 FS BLUE. 35109 is a US Military specification number for a blue that's pretty close to the original--maybe just a wee bit lighter. This paint comes in 1/2 ounce bottles.

Jim Alton
Los Angeles County, CA
1958 Porsche 356A Cabriolet
1965 Porsche 911 Coupé
1966 Volkswagen Type 2
2003 Porsche 986 Boxster

Albert Tiedemann
356 Fan

#8 Post by Albert Tiedemann »

All:

When my car was newish [1959 Super Coupe in 1961] I prepared for the 8th Porsche Parade. I used the color National Blue from Rustoleum which was a near match [nothing is "perfect"--but some things can be "exact"--right Vince?] to restore the jack.

I use this color when restoring jacks today. This applies to the early jacks not the prehistoric ones.
Albert Tiedemann, C356C
"The Hermit"