6V Battery Hold Down

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Tony Aguirre
356 Fan

6V Battery Hold Down

#1 Post by Tony Aguirre »

Have a 63 S90 T-6 and I would like to know or get some pictures on exactly how the battery is held in place. I cannot figure out what type of strap loops over the battery and fastens in front to hold it in place. I also cannot figure out where or how such a strap anchors to the bulkhead. I've checked the websites of the "regular" vendors and see a strap (one vendor lists it as a 12V strap) but would like to know what else behind the battery it secures to.

Thanks,
 Tony Aguirre
63 S90
Member 12928

Dave Wildrick
356 Fan

Re: 6V Battery Hold Down

#2 Post by Dave Wildrick »

Tony Aguirre wrote:Have a 63 S90 T-6 and I would like to know or get some pictures on exactly how the battery is held in place. I cannot figure out what type of strap loops over the battery and fastens in front to hold it in place. I also cannot figure out where or how such a strap anchors to the bulkhead. I've checked the websites of the "regular" vendors and see a strap (one vendor lists it as a 12V strap) but would like to know what else behind the battery it secures to.

Thanks,
If your T6 is like the C cars, the battery is held in place at the bottom by an adjustable clamp on a bracket attached (welded?) to the battery box floor. Of course, this does not work well for Optima batteries, but the Registry web site tech section shows more than one device to secure these also (or you can insert an Optima into a cloaking device, which is a hollow battery shell, sold by several Registry vendors).
Dave Wildrick
Houston, TX
64C coupe
65C coupe

Tom Farnam
356 Fan

#3 Post by Tom Farnam »

Tony, at least in my T6 Roadster, the lower bracket which Dave W. mentions does not really hold the battery vertically, but only positions it horizontally. There is a rubber strap which goes over the battery and battery cover to provide vertical positioning. It is part #644.611.155.00, and appears as #2 in B/C Parts Manual illustration #9/3A, copy attached. If you want a great demonstration of why you should buy Bill Romano's DVD version, compare this with the PET catalog. Even my jpg copy (for posting) is better than the PET.

The strap is shown in NLA's catalog as http://www.nlaparts.com/store/product_i ... ts_id=1597 for $24.95. Reasonable price for a specialty item of heavy duty rubber straping. This is not the same part as the one listed by Stoddard as 901.611.025.20, which is longer to fit the 12v battery.

The rubber strap uses hooks which go into two small holes on the vertical bulkhead behind the battery, and a matching set of hooks on the other end go into a "loop" of stiff wire on the top edge of the lower bracket.

If you need photos of the actual installation let me know and I'll take some for you this weekend.

Tom

Tom Farnam C356C Reg. #450
D'Ieteren Roadster 89639
62Roadster at comcast.net
http://www.356registry.org/Members/Farnam/ Racewalking - www.walkingtom.blogspot.com

Tony Aguirre
356 Fan

6V Battery Hold Down

#4 Post by Tony Aguirre »

Tom,

You have been overly helpful in your explanation with attachment. I do not need any further info but sincerely appreciate your offer. That’s what I love about this list, always someone out there with the knowledge and expertise and above all, the willingness to assist.

Thanks again and also thanks to those that replied to my post as well that I did not address personally in this e-mail.

Tony
63 S90
Member 12928

Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2008 7:12 AM
To: 356talk@356registry.com
Subject: [356Talk] 6V Battery Hold Down

Tony, at least in my T6 Roadster, the lower bracket which Dave W. mentions does not really hold the battery vertically, but only positions it horizontally. There is a rubber strap which goes over the battery and battery cover to provide vertical positioning. It is part #644.611.155.00, and appears as #2 in B/C Parts Manual illustration #9/3A, copy attached. If you want a great demonstration of why you should buy Bill Romano's DVD version, compare this with the PET catalog.

The strap is shown in NLA's catalog as http://www.nlaparts.com/store/product_i ... ts_id=1597 for $24.95. Reasonable price for a specialty item of heavy duty rubber straping. This is not the same part as the one listed by Stoddard as 901.611.025.20, which is longer to fit the 12v battery.

The rubber strap uses hooks which go into two small holes on the vertical bulkhead behind the battery, and a matching set of hooks on the other end go into a "loop" of stiff wire on the top edge of the lower bracket.

If you need photos of the actual installation let me know and I'll take some for you this weekend.

Tom

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Pq19AXor

Tom Farnam C356C Reg. #450 62Roadster@comcast.net (62Roadster@comcast.net)
D'Ieteren Roadster 89639 http://www.356registry.org/Members/Farnam/

Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.
 Tony Aguirre
63 S90
Member 12928

Tom Farnam
356 Fan

#5 Post by Tom Farnam »

Tony, it's my pleasure to help while the increasingly older memory still works. That really is what Curmudgeon status means.

BTW, there are a couple of interesting "tells" for what work may have been done on your car's battery box included in this thread.

1- Does the bulkhead behind your battery still have the pair of small holes for the strap?

2- Is the "loop" still on the battery clamping device on the battery box floor?

If either is missing, chances are pretty high there's been some metal work done in there by someone who did not understand those little details. (Or thought they should "improve" the design by leaving them out.)

Tom
Tom Farnam C356C Reg. #450
D'Ieteren Roadster 89639
62Roadster at comcast.net
http://www.356registry.org/Members/Farnam/ Racewalking - www.walkingtom.blogspot.com

Dave Wildrick
356 Fan

#6 Post by Dave Wildrick »

Tom Farnam wrote:Tony, at least in my T6 Roadster, the lower bracket which Dave W. mentions does not really hold the battery vertically, but only positions it horizontally. There is a rubber strap which goes over the battery and battery cover to provide vertical positioning.

Forgot about the rubber strap. Neither of my C cars had the strap or the battery cover when I got them. I use a piece of 2 x 4 to wedge the Optima battery in place (before using the clamp at the bottom) and then cinch it down vertically with a nylon strap.
Dave Wildrick
Houston, TX
64C coupe
65C coupe

Dan Macdonald
356 Fan

#7 Post by Dan Macdonald »

Here are a few photos of my C coupe battery area. This is an Optima battery with a "cloaking device." The 6 volt battery cover is too small to fit over the "device."
All of the rest of the fittings, I think, are correct as original.

Dan Macdonald 
'59 A Coupe (105327) 
'57 Speedster (82954) 
Registry #1921 (1982) 
DMAIA@aol.com
My YouTube Channel: Tinmeister 356