Speedster headlight stoneguards.

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jon Warshawsky
356 Fan

Re: Speedster headlight stoneguards.

#16 Post by Jon Warshawsky »

mainespeedster wrote:Hello,
One more alternative is the adhesive clear plastic film available for 356 glass headlight lenses. This, I have seen on EBay recently. You could stick this on your lenses and then put on aftermarket mesh guards. It is a bummer to see little chips in your glass from road debris!
I hope this helps!
Garrett
Griots Garage also sells this. It works, but it might not be the look that sjfairweather was hoping for.
Jon Warshawsky
San Diego
1956 Speedster #82191

Mervyn Hyde
356 Fan

#17 Post by Mervyn Hyde »

An update on this. Is there anywhere now that does the pre-cut film for our headlamps?
Merv
TYP356
1963 356B T6
1968 911 SWB

Mike DeJonge
356 Fan

#18 Post by Mike DeJonge »

I have the stoneguards on my T5 coupe and I did not remove the glass lense. It is possible to put the stone guards in with the lense in also. With some judicious grinding on the lips that fit into the rings I was able to accomplish this. They have been on the car for the last 5 years
Mike dejonge
Restoration Design Inc.
52 Pre A Body Bumper X2
53 Pre A coupe
54 Pre A speedster
56 Speedster
60 D'letern Roadster
67 911
05 997

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#19 Post by Jim Nelson »

I did have a set of symmetrical Euro lights installed, but I went with the SMD headlight conversion (I can see at night now!), so back to my original sealed beam configuration. Bought a set of the Sierra Madre stone guards that fit over the light (as opposed to the Tenax-fastened ones), and about two weeks into that I noticed that one had a huge clump of dirt and was pushed in. Apparently it had taken a rock/dirt combo, and my lenses were untouched. Easy to put back into shape, but I'm pretty sure my headlight lens would not have fared well.

Norm Miller
356 Fan
Tag: Official curmudgeon

#20 Post by Norm Miller »

Regarding "original" guards, as I recall going back 60 some years the only 356 that came with stone guards was the 56 Speedster.
It's possible Porsche offered some iteration as an accessory.
Most were vendor supplied.
If you were driving at night in a snow storm, colder than a well diggers arse, you would have to stop to clean them.
Use your imagination where you'd likely find hot/warm liquid.

Norm