55 Continental Cab Rocker Panels

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
George Bryan
Registry Hall of Fame

55 Continental Cab Rocker Panels

#1 Post by George Bryan »

Hi all. A good friend & I were having a discussion about his 55 cab restoration. The car is bare metal and has what appears to be the original rocker panels (but who knows). Above the jack spur, on both sides, is a slight uniform curved indentation made. It is dimensionally the same on both sides. It appears to be rolled/made into the sheet metal as part of the rocker, as opposed to something locally formed or cut out.

Was that original to this car, or was the rocker supposed to be straight across the bottom? The catalogs show different part numbers for Pre-A (rolled under) vs A/B/C (flat) rockers and no good pics could be found by us that clearly showed the difference....(other than pics showing the early rocker panels were rolled under vs the later flat type...but no close ups of the area in question).

Would appreciate input form the Pre-A owners, and those more experienced on the fine points of the early cars. There is a serious bet of one beer riding on the original or not answer.

Thanks. Regards,
George Bryan #1175
Last edited by George Bryan on Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuck House
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: 55 Continental Cab Rocker Panels

#2 Post by Chuck House »

George Bryan wrote:Hi all. A good friend & I were having a discussion about his 55 cab restoration. The car is bare metal and has what appears to be the original rocker panles (but who knows). Above the jack spur on both sides is a slight uniform curved indentation made. It is dimensionally the same on both sides. It appears to be rolled into the sheet metal as part of the rocker, as opposed to something locally formed or cut out.

Was that original to this car, or was the rocker supposed to be straight across the bottom like the more recent? The catalogs show different part numbers for Pre-A vs A/B/C rockers and no good pics could be found by us that clearly showed the difference.

Would appreciate input form the Pre-A owners, and those more experienced on the fine points of the early cars. There is a serious bet of one beer riding on the original or not answer.

Thanks. Regards,
George Bryan #1175
George,

Pre-A rocker panels are very different from A and later rockers. The pre-A rockers have a formed recess above the jack spur as you mention. They also have a very different curvature profile among other differences. See the photo below from Zim's. It is a replacement part but originals have those same features.

Chuck House
Southern California

George Bryan
Registry Hall of Fame

#3 Post by George Bryan »

Chuck, thanks very much. The pic you sent is exactly what is on the car. I'll savor the beer & buy you one next time I see you. Regards, George