Need help why my hood will not close.

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Mark Erbesfield
356 Fan
Tag: Project Meister

Need help why my hood will not close.

#1 Post by Mark Erbesfield »

I need help with getting my hood to fit. Clearly from the pics you can see that the leading edge of the hood has had some sort of damage and subsequently been beaten into submission. I am not familiar enough with these hoods to know what they should look like. The front of the tub does not look to have ever been damaged to my eye. When I lower the hood and use a sheet of paper for clearance, it snags only at the very bottom/front/center. You can see some deformation of the hood at this location, but nothing on the tub itself. You can also see a small kink in the front edge of the inside lip of the hood. Is this small kink keeping the hood from closing? What is the best method for repair? Are the clearances in this are so tight that the little bit of material will keep the hood from closing. The hood is tweaked a little, left to right, but I am not concerned about that, what is confusing is why the hood will not lay into the groove of the front panel. I want to get some opinions before I start working the area. I am positive this is the original hood, numbers and paint match. I believe it has been this way for 20-30 years and no one has fixed it. Maybe no one could figure it out? Thanks
Attachments
Hood top view
Hood top view
Hood partially open
Hood partially open
Side view of hood edge
Side view of hood edge
Front leading edge of hood
Front leading edge of hood
Underside of hood
Underside of hood
Inside view of nose
Inside view of nose
Nose latch area
Nose latch area
Drives side high view
Drives side high view
Front view down low
Front view down low
Front view
Front view
57 356A
68 912
73 911S
66 Land Cruiser FJ45LV
71 Land Cruiser FJ40
79 450 SL

karl schuenemann
356 Fan

Re: Need help why my hood will not close.

#2 Post by karl schuenemann »

It looks like that hood pull knows, but is not going to tell.
Karl Schuenemann
1959 A coupe

Richard Shilling
356 Fan
Tag: Ex 356 Mechanic

#3 Post by Richard Shilling »

Take a picture of the top of the hood in the closed position, and both sides from the fenders and post them.
Richard Shilling
1965 356C dolphingrey 

Mark Erbesfield
356 Fan

#4 Post by Mark Erbesfield »

Richard Shilling wrote:Take a picture of the top of the hood in the closed position, and both sides from the fenders and post them.
I thought about posting those and will, but what you will see is perfect gaps at the rear and sides, no room for much movement there.
57 356A
68 912
73 911S
66 Land Cruiser FJ45LV
71 Land Cruiser FJ40
79 450 SL

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#5 Post by Steve Harrison »

Hey Mark,

I'd install the rubber seal and the upper catch, (with a pull cable also of course) first. The seal matters as to closing because of the "crush" of the gasket. Make the adjustments and repairs with it on.

The front lip looks like it could indeed be a bit bent down. Always hard to tell from a picture really what's going on. But I'd start there if the rear and side gaps are good like you say. (Love the rare blunt nose hood handle BTW ;)

Mark Erbesfield
356 Fan

#6 Post by Mark Erbesfield »

Yes the handle is Über rare. Steve, if you happen to be in the big city, let me know. Would love to show you my new project and get your thoughts about my direction. Back to hood. There is something snagging the lip and keeping it from fully closing. Is the small wrinkle on the hood enough to do that? According to my paper slip test it is, just not sure about how to fix it without full access to backside/inside. Again, don't want to work it til get opinions from others with better eyes and exp. thanks
57 356A
68 912
73 911S
66 Land Cruiser FJ45LV
71 Land Cruiser FJ40
79 450 SL

karl schuenemann
356 Fan

#7 Post by karl schuenemann »

you might try spraying some primer or paint on the lip area to see where its contacting,
Karl Schuenemann
1959 A coupe

Mark Erbesfield
356 Fan

#8 Post by Mark Erbesfield »

karl schuenemann wrote:you might try spraying some primer or paint on the lip area to see where its contacting,
Just like the dentist does. I have determined what is hitting, I just not sure what it should look like from the factory. Can anyone post pics of their 57 hood? Thanks
57 356A
68 912
73 911S
66 Land Cruiser FJ45LV
71 Land Cruiser FJ40
79 450 SL

karl schuenemann
356 Fan

#9 Post by karl schuenemann »

Even with this thick towel there is no problem shutting all the way.Where exactly does it hit? I know my pull is boreing but it was helpfull.
Attachments
PC291131.JPG
PC291137.JPG
PC291136.JPG
Karl Schuenemann
1959 A coupe

Mark Erbesfield
356 Fan

More hood pics, help needed.

#10 Post by Mark Erbesfield »

I am still perplexed with my hood. The lip of the front nose does not look like it has been compromised. The inside lip is hitting at the latch location and the hood does not look extremely bent. I know this is hard to do over the internet. Can others post pics of their A hoods for me to look at as well as the nose section lip area. I have added some sharpy marks to highlight some of the contours that appear to be factory. The hood has definitely been crunched before, just trying to figure out where to work it.

Thanks for helping.
Attachments
356A details 014.jpg
356A details 013.jpg
356A details 008.jpg
356A details 006.jpg
356A details 005.jpg
356A details 003.jpg
57 356A
68 912
73 911S
66 Land Cruiser FJ45LV
71 Land Cruiser FJ40
79 450 SL

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#11 Post by Adam Wright »

Sometimes it isn't the hood, but the line it is trying to meet. Kind of like the shoe, not the foot.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Mark Erbesfield
356 Fan

#12 Post by Mark Erbesfield »

Adam Wright wrote:Sometimes it isn't the hood, but the line it is trying to meet. Kind of like the shoe, not the foot.
Yea, I thought I had a pic of that. Will get one, but the line does not look damaged. There is a small bump on the front, but does not look like enough to move the lip. The curve looks smooth and round to me. That's the problem, I have not seen enough of these to make any decisions where and how to move the metal to get it to fit. I could of course get it to fit, but might not be proper.
57 356A
68 912
73 911S
66 Land Cruiser FJ45LV
71 Land Cruiser FJ40
79 450 SL

Mark Erbesfield
356 Fan

Additional pics

#13 Post by Mark Erbesfield »

Ok, found a few more pics. Note small dent on right front of nose, but does not appear to have moved the lip area.
Attachments
356A details (268).jpg
356A details (261).jpg
356A details (262).jpg
356A details (260).jpg
Gaps look ok.
Gaps look ok.
356A details (257).jpg
356A details (256).jpg
Top view
Top view
57 356A
68 912
73 911S
66 Land Cruiser FJ45LV
71 Land Cruiser FJ40
79 450 SL

kurt hoelter
356 Fan

#14 Post by kurt hoelter »

if the numbers are truly matching then maybe look carefully under the fenders for signs of a replaced clip. repair work forty-fifty plus years ago was done in the old style and hard to distinguish from factory but often fit poorly due to somewhat lower standards at the body shop than the factory. this was the case on my coupe. if the hood line is proper, (make a template from copper or one of your paint sticks), and compare it to another, you will have to massage the lower area as necessary. use very small increments. best,
kurt hoelter
1953 coupe #50748
1960 roadster #87689

Mark Erbesfield
356 Fan

#15 Post by Mark Erbesfield »

kurt hoelter wrote:if the numbers are truly matching then maybe look carefully under the fenders for signs of a replaced clip. repair work forty-fifty plus years ago was done in the old style and hard to distinguish from factory but often fit poorly due to somewhat lower standards at the body shop than the factory. this was the case on my coupe. if the hood line is proper, (make a template from copper or one of your paint sticks), and compare it to another, you will have to massage the lower area as necessary. use very small increments. best,
If I had another to compare it to I would. This is why I have asked others to post pics. This car has never had work done to it. Original undercoating, factory seams, perfect, that I am sure of. I can make it fit, I am just trying to get the most info I can so I know where the adjustment needs to be, hood or nose. My guess is hood bc the nose looks perfect, but maybe it is a little of both. The small dent on the front could have push the nose a little and it may not be noticeable. Thanks for helping.
57 356A
68 912
73 911S
66 Land Cruiser FJ45LV
71 Land Cruiser FJ40
79 450 SL