The T.A.N. Works- & "Porsche Whisperers"

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Vince Cappelletti
356 Fan

The T.A.N. Works- & "Porsche Whisperers"

#1 Post by Vince Cappelletti »

[color=#0000FF][b]Hi Listers,
I would like to share with you a personal experience that adds credence to the Travel Assistance Network [T.A.N.] of our Registry.
During our trip to the WCH in Park City in late September, I found myself on a blustery and rainy Saturday morning, just east of St. Louis, with a car that would not start. I did not relish trying to diagnose the problem out in the parking lot and the prospect of finding a garage that could lend a hand did not look good.
I recalled having printed up a copy of the T.A.N. before I left, but to my dismay, realized I left it on my desk instead of placing it in my owners hand-book. So my next bet was to call George Dunn, one of our leaders, and a member of the SOG who I knew was about to depart from the Atlanta area. He came up with the name of a TAN-list member in St. Louis.
He was [color=#0000FF]Mark Todorovich[/color], and he turned out to be out knight in shining armor.

In short order I was talking to Mark, and explaining my problem. Mark mentioned that he was recovering from a back injury, and probably could not do a lot personally, but he offered to call the wrench who worked on his cars to see if he would lend a hand. The issue there as Mark explained it was the "wrench" had some health issues, and might not be able to take it on.

A short while later Mark returned my call and said if we could get the car to his friends shop, he would be willing to help get us back on the road. He provided a detailed address to get to the garage, behind the house , next to the Candy Factory, in Affton, Il. A part of greater St. Louis. Trusty AAA had a flat-tow ready and we were soon on our way.

Upon our arrival we were met by Mark and his trusty mechanic whose name for all of you to remember is: [color=#0000FF]RUDY GOODUES.[/color] His shop is located behind his home, and yes, right next to the Candy Factory, [the name of which eludes me now] [color=#0000FF]@ 8211 New Hampshire Street, there in AFFTON, IL. ZIP-63123. Rudy's Telephone number is: 314-481-4982.[/color] Rudy is from the old school of mechanics and his first concern was to get the car inside the shop and covered nicely with quilts and Blankets with only the engine lid open. Mark had mentioned that Rudy was dealing wityh heart issues as a result he works in short bursts and rests in-between. Here it was late Saturday afternoon and he was telling us that Mark would get us to a nice hotel, and when we got settled in to give him a call and leave him our number. He would get started on it shortly.

Mark took on the role of Chauffer, drove us to the Drury Hotel which was nearby. It just happened to have a great Italian Restaurant, [Bartolino's] where we later had dinner.
As soon as we got checked in we called Rudy and left a message on his answering machine with our Hotel and Room number. A couple of hours later we had a call from Rudy indorming us that he managed to get it running and he would be checking out a few more things and that we could pick up the car in the morning, and he would asl Mark to pick us up.

Sure enough Mark called in the morning and said he would come by and pick us up and take us to Rudy' shop. Now get this, this is SUNDAY morning, and he is playing Chauffer?

True to his word, the car was running like a top, and Rudy insisted tha we take it for a test run to assure ourselves all was in working order. He diagnosed the problem as Points that needed to be re-filed and re-set, along with re-adjusting the timing.

Later as we were well on our way to Kansas City, Ursula who had been a "Dressage-Rider" for many years made mention that at her "Menage" they used to have a "Horse-Whisperer" who looked after their Horses, and then she said: "Rudy is a 'Porsche-Whisperer',which is a fine compliment for a fine Gentleman.

Our sincere thanks go to [color=#0000FF]MARK TODOROVICH,[/color] a Registry and T.A.N.-List Member and to
[color=#0000FF]Rudy Goodues, a True "Porsche-Whisperer"[/color]Best Wishes to all for a Merry Christmas,
Vince Cappelletti
Registry Member #5491
Prostate Cancer Survivor-
Thanks to the Cyberknife-[A misnomer!][/b][/color]

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

Re: The T.A.N. Works- & "Porsche Whisperers"

#2 Post by Adam Wright »

I love this club!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Brotherhood is strong!!!!!!!!!!!!
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Pat Daily
356 Fan

#3 Post by Pat Daily »

Keep the Faith!
Pat Daily
Midlothian, VA
356B coupe (121123 aka "Fast Frieda") 

Alex Mestas
356 Fan
Tag: It’s only a hobby.

#4 Post by Alex Mestas »

Hi Vince
What a great recap of your experience. Just as one would expect of a follow 356er. I would encourage our Registry members to sign up for the travel Assistance Network (T.A.N.) by clicking on the Resources heading on the Forum home page. Anyone can do it. I have absolutely zero mechanical skills so I know exactly who to call if my car or any fellow members car ever broke down in my area. That's what this botherhood is all about.   
1963 356 T-6 Coupe Signal Red.
1973.5 911 T Coupe Ivory.
1989 911 Carrera Targa Grd Prix White.

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#5 Post by Steve Harrison »

Way cool Vince,

Nice of you to give a public thanks to everyone who helped.
The TAN is realy a nice feature of our club.
You just know you'd jibe with everyone on the list, by virtue of them being on it.
Car guys are car guys,..no matter where they live eh?

What's not to like?

Steve

Mark Todorovich
356 Fan
Tag: Drive em

#6 Post by Mark Todorovich »

It was a pleasure to help Vince. Sometimes things happen because they are supposed to. i normally would be playing golf or Squash on any weekend morning. i was laying around my house alternating hot and cold for my muscle spasmed back when i got vinces call. It was a fun diversion to help him get on the road again. i love to take off in my cars and I've been helped in tha past by Ab & Tom Farnam in the DC area and Joe Leoni out west. Rudy, who i always call the local legend only has a few customers because his health doesn't allow him to be pressured with deadlines. He has kept my cars going for years. It's not surprising that he was able to get Vince's car running with a small amount of laying on of the hands and no new parts. The TAN can be a lifesaver, even if you aren't mechanical. enter your info in it. When I went to Banff from St. Louis after St. paul there wasn't anyone listed. Let's get some more folks out west who can help.
The picture is of Rudy and my son Cole in front of an S that Rudy brought back to life for Stratton Whitaker.
Merry christmas and happy Hollidays to all.
Attachments
Rudy Cole (Small).JPG
Mark Todorovich 4243
52 Coupe
56 Speedster project now underway
63 Cab?

Chuck House
Registry Hall of Fame

#7 Post by Chuck House »

Check your member profile page (Membership>My Profile Page) to see if you are enrolled in the TAN. Only members who enroll in the TAN can access the TAN list.
Chuck House
Southern California

Mark Todorovich
356 Fan

#8 Post by Mark Todorovich »

Rudy Goodues has had to give up his shop. he still works with a couple of clients with me I do the work and he gives advice. It's very reassuring to have his fabulous second opinion.

If you haven't voted For the final in WCSTA I am shamelessly electioneering.

link below

My Link
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=39078&p=242245#p242245

voting link
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=39248

thanks
Mark
Attachments
bberry 110.jpg
Mark Todorovich 4243
52 Coupe
63 Cab?

Mark Todorovich
356 Fan

Goodby Rudy Goodues

#9 Post by Mark Todorovich »

I am sorry to say that Rudy died in his sleep last Wednesday morning. I and many others will miss him greatly. A generation of mechanics who worked on these cars from when they were new is passing on. We are lucky that some of these Icons have contributed so much information to others in person or even more when they have left behind books, articles, and even video of their accumulated knowledge.
I spent many hours over the last years being Rudy's hands as we worked on cars using his knowledge with me doing most of the work. Stratton Whitaker here in St. Louis had the same relationship and we both are very gratefull for all of our interaction with Rudy.
Rudy had severe heart issues. He and his doctors feel that it very well might have been the result of the 60 years of exposure to solvents , chemicals and paints. Use Rubber gloves and breathing apperatice it might extend your life. I drove my 911 this weekend and thought of Rudy every shift as he was my shepard as we took that car from abused boy racer to a sweet running relatively stock 69T.
Rudy was a local legen and he will be missed.
Mark
Mark Todorovich 4243
52 Coupe
63 Cab?

Ned Gorski
356 Fan

#10 Post by Ned Gorski »

i never knew Rudy but i know his type.. its always sad when a good one passes.... sad news.. Reading this post inspired me to place my name on the tan list.. Oddly i never knew there was a list.. There are quite a few names on that list .. The list is quite crude looks like its in the order you placed your name on the list . understandable given when the list was started. This information would make for a usefull app for those traveling .. .. I have no idea how to make an app, but everyone on the list has a general location and a contact number one could easily make a interactive app available to list members. The app will give you names and numbers close to you when your broken down .it can also highlight shops and vw beetle shops and parts places . Similar to the gas buddy app .. but much more basic .or just a simple reformat of the list so its lists the tan members by the state, just a thought.
my condolences to all who knew Rudy, it sounds like he will be missed .

Regards Ned

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#11 Post by Steve Harrison »

Yea, the TAN is an invaluable resource. I am proud of everyone that's entered in it.
I'd like every member,...all 6,000 plus to be in if it were up to me. That's when being in a club counts,...on a tuesday night, raining, ten pm, and you get a call, or you are the one making the call....

Bummer about your friend Mark, like Ned, I didn't know Rudy, but I do know the type.
It's like when Ken D. went out....the 356 world is a little smaller in the 'old guard' department.

Also agree with Ned that the list could use some updating into this century. A simple ordering of the info by state and/or vicinity would be a minimal but optimum improvement.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#12 Post by Mike Wilson »

Originally the T.A.N. was sorted by state. I think when it was updated, the sorting format changed. It may be time to update the list again and sort by state but I fully understand that it is a volunteer who would need to undertake this and it will take time.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Mark Todorovich
356 Fan

#13 Post by Mark Todorovich »

I just read that Vince Passed last week . This was my first contact with him. What a gentleman with a spirit of adventure. He was stranded on a long trip and as pleasant as he could be. When Rudy told him the car was fixed we had to beg him to drive it a mile or so. He was ready to just take off.My condolences to his lovely wife.
mark
Mark Todorovich 4243
52 Coupe
63 Cab?