Weeping Rear Axle at retainer

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Marcus van Bers
356 Fan

Weeping Rear Axle at retainer

#1 Post by Marcus van Bers »

While I wait on the kit for my fuel cock I thought I would enquire about my rear axle weeping fluid. I did a search and everything I could find was in connection with the area around the rear brake. My axle is weeping (enough for maybe 1 drop every 1-2 days) where the retainer for the axle tube meets the transmission housing cover. I know there is a gasket behind the retainer which must not be doing its job. I am getting this weep on both sides but more so on the drivers side (passenger side might be enough for a drop per week). Is it possible to unbolt the retainer (and probably the boot as well so I can move it along the axle tube) and slide the retainer away from the transmission housing cover so as to apply a very thin bead of Permatex gasket maker? I'm trying to think of a way to address this without having to remove the entire axle tube and all the fun that comes with that. I can post a pic if that helps. Thanks.
63 B Karmann Coupe

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: Weeping Rear Axle at retainer

#2 Post by Vic Skirmants »

You can definitely do what you proposed.

Marcus van Bers
356 Fan

#3 Post by Marcus van Bers »

Vic Skirmants wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:59 pm You can definitely do what you proposed.
Thanks Vic. That is great news. Should I keep the rear wheels on the ground or should I raise it so the wheels hang?

And is one gasket maker better than another? I see Permatex has 4 different colours. I think I have the black and grey ones.
63 B Karmann Coupe

Marcus van Bers
356 Fan

#4 Post by Marcus van Bers »

So I think the black is best as it is oil resistant and has a heat tolerance. But do I leave the car on it's wheels or lift the back end? I'm thinking if I leave it on its wheels it will pull the axle tube away from the transmission housing when I remove the bolts for the retainer, or is that what the torsion bars are for?
63 B Karmann Coupe

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#5 Post by Martin Benade »

It’s got nuts and washers holding the retainer. It seems reasonable to have weight on the tires although I’d have never thought of that.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#6 Post by Harlan Halsey »

When doing that sort of thing I set the rear wheels each on a 6 X 6 so as to take tension off the axle boots. The gaskets are shims, their total thickness so as to just have free movement of the axle tube. You can replace gaskets by cutting them just so the cut is near the top and cuts in individual gaskets don't overlap. Coat the gaskets with your choice of sealant. The bolt holes in the cover plates should have been flattened before assembly with a press and a ball bearing if the gasket surface isn't flat to begin with.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#7 Post by Vic Skirmants »

When you pull the flange away, the axle tube is not going anywhere. It is held by the wheel bearings.