Kardex access

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Mike Zois
356 Fan

Kardex access

#1 Post by Mike Zois »

Rumor has it, there's a member that has limited access to the Kardex that can see if an engine and/or trans is original to a Porsche? Anyone know who that is?

KTF
Mike Zois
57 Tubeframe Speedster
356 Registry# 17974
58 A Coupe, searching for parts
70 914/6 under restoration
73 911 RS Cabriolet
74 914 2.0 (sold)
Reno, NV

Tom Farnam
356 Fan

#2 Post by Tom Farnam »

Mike, can not say whether it's based on actual Kardex, but Eleven Parts provides this service on its web site at http://www.elevenparts.com.

Just go to the web site and click on the Karroserie plate for access. You can insert either either the Chassis ID or the Engine ID. Not sure about trans matching.

See my post under the topic "Basic Documentation" at http://www.356registry.com/forum/viewto ... highlight= for more details.

Tom
Tom Farnam C356C Reg. #450
D'Ieteren Roadster 89639
62Roadster at comcast.net
http://www.356registry.org/Members/Farnam/ Racewalking - www.walkingtom.blogspot.com

Mike Zois
356 Fan

#3 Post by Mike Zois »

I also have a 914/6 in my shop....can he get information on that model as well?
Mike Zois
57 Tubeframe Speedster
356 Registry# 17974
73 911 RS Cabriolet
74 914 2.0 (sold)
Reno, NV

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#4 Post by Adam Wright »

I think Marco at Eleven Parts only has 356 info. I have sent him early 911 and 912 #s before and he kicks it back.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Wil Mittelbach
356 Fan

Kardex Access

#5 Post by Wil Mittelbach »

Recently talked to Marco whilst in Zurich, whereupon he indicated he has no 356 Kardex file, and has only engine # relative to VIN # data. I had heretofore thought he had complete Kardex data. He was rather abrupt!
- Wil

Tom Roos
356 Fan

#6 Post by Tom Roos »

This doesn't aid your current quest, but at the recent Porsche Parade, in Charlotte, PCNA was there giving out Kardex info. They had a "customer relations" or some such booth set up and you could stand in line with your serial number and get info from their computer.
I walked up with a list of 5 serial numbers and they were very accommodating. The information was available only for viewing. You were able to take notes, but no print outs were offered. They gave out the build date, options, colors (in and out) along the engine and transmission number. It appeared that they were viewing Kardex info that had already been scanned into a database, and was relatively easy and quick.
It's all there, we just have to get them to give it up! Incidentally, in this setting, there was no proof of ownership required, just a serial number.
Tom Roos

Neil M. Fennessey
356 Fan

#7 Post by Neil M. Fennessey »

If you do get in touch with Marco looking for a motor number to match your VIN please be gracious and thank him for helping you. I recall hearing that he was rather irritated with folks who asked for his assistance without bothering to thank him and that because of this, he was considering charging for the service. Please understand that his kindness to this community takes his time away from his other responsibilities.
Back to the Ivory Tower I go!
 - Neil
'67 912/356D (Ol' Blue)
'82 HP 34C

Tom Farnam
356 Fan

#8 Post by Tom Farnam »

Adam reminded me of some earlier emails about Marco Marinello's willingness to provide engine and transmission numbers. (Marco owns Eleven Parts, also a twin-grill roadster which he campaigns in vintage car rallies, etc.)

Found the following from a December 2007 email:
Marco only charges you $20, if you can't send him a photo of the VIN plate. You have to show it is your car. When I asked him about charging for the kardex lookup (we were in the lunch line together at ECH) he said that everytime a car would come up on EBAY he would get 20 emails from people wanting to see if it is matching #s. I think he was getting a little overwhelmed. It is a great service he provides to the 356 community, but I think every man has his breaking point.

Bottom line here is that if eople provide a service, whether for free or a nominal fee, we should be willing to tell them we appreciate it, instead of treating it as something to which we are entitled and asking why they don't want to do more.

Tom

ps - Isn't there a 914-6 registry which would be a better source of that data?
Last edited by Tom Farnam on Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
D'Ieteren Roadster 89639
http://www.356registry.org/Members/Farnam/ Racewalking - www.walkingtom.blogspot.com

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#9 Post by Adam Wright »

Incidently, I have found that if a 914/6 still has a real 914/6 engine, i.e. the # is stamped on top of the engine, not near the generator stand, it is almost always matching #'s. They made so few of these cars and normally you find them with 4 cylinders in them or with an early 911 motor. But if it is a real six with a real six engine, my money would be on that it is matching #s.

Also, it scares me that Tom still has my emails from years ago. Remind me never to invite you to a New Years party! I could never live it down....
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Tom Farnam
356 Fan

Kardex access

#10 Post by Tom Farnam »

Who said it was yours?

Guess it's a reminder, once that message goes onto the internet, it has a life of its own.

Now, about the New Years party pictures - - - -

See you at the ECH?

Tom

At 08:17 AM 7/11/2008, Adam Wright wrote:
[quote]Incidently, I have found that if a 914/6 still has a real 914/6 engine, i.e. the # is stamped on top of the engine, not near the generator stand, it is almost always matching #'s. They made so few of these cars and normally you find them with 4 cylinders in them or with an early 911 motor. But if it is a real six with a real six engine, my money would be on that it is matching #s.

Also, it scares me that Tom still has my emails from years ago. Remind me never to invite you to a New Years party! I could never live it down....

KTF-
Adam
63 Coupe 212104
60 Roadster 88775
99 Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG
Registry 17369

www.unobtanium-inc.com

Tom Farnam - 356 Registry #450 C356C 62roadster@comcast.net http://www.356registry.org/Members/Farnam/
Northern VA - D'Ieteren Roadster 89639 (custodian since 1971)
Racewalking to save lives. Curious? Go to: http://pages.teamintraining.org/nca/nikesf08/tfarnam

Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.
D'Ieteren Roadster 89639

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

Kardex access

#11 Post by Ron LaDow »

"Adam reminded me of some earlier emails about Marco Marinello's
willingness to provide engine and transmission numbers. (Marco owns
Nine-Eleven, also a twin-grill roadster which he campaigns in
vintage car rallies, etc.)"

Just to give everyone an idea of what sort of service Marco is kind enough to offer: This match info does *not* come out of some magic database. Marco goes through his files manually to find the matches.
None of the people I pay taxes to are willing to do that sort of clerical drudge for nothing.
Thanks,
Ron LaDow

Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#12 Post by Adam Wright »

I have to amend my original post, Marco charges 20 Euros, which no longer means 20 dollars. Still a good deal.
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Gary Leong
356 Fan

Matching engine # to chassis #

#13 Post by Gary Leong »

Marco performed this service for a friend of mine recently. He offered the option of supplying just the chassis number - to which there was a charge. If however, a photo of the chassis plate was emailed (the one beside the fuel tank & the Made in Western Germany tag) he provided the service for free.
He generously assists "owners", but has in the past has had his time wasted by "others".
I have much admiration for anyone who assists our 356 community in this way.
You rock Marco! As do all the experts on this list!

Mike Zois
356 Fan

#14 Post by Mike Zois »

I bit the bullet and paid for the COA. After a week, I called 1-800-PORSCHE and pressed option # 5. I inquired and was told that the engine and trans were original with written confirmation to follow in 3-4 weeks.
Mike Zois
57 Tubeframe Speedster
356 Registry# 17974
73 911 RS Cabriolet
74 914 2.0 (sold)
Reno, NV

Gary Leong
356 Fan

COA incomplete

#15 Post by Gary Leong »

I was lucky enough to get a copy of the original Kardex way back when they still did that - about 14 years ago for both my cars. Got a COA just out of curiousity a couple of years ago - interesting how the info differed i.e. what was missing from the COA. My friend's COA did not have the engine number listed at all - hence the comms with Marco.
Interestingly, another friend here in New Zealand, just went to the Porsche importers & gave his chassis number - a week later they came back to him with all the info, simply printed on their Porsche letterhead. However, to qualify this - I think it helped that this was (a) for an early 911 - not a 356, and that his 911 was ex-UK - John Moyes at AFN heads the Porsche Classic dept (at least did when I used to visit him) and his database was extensive. We assume that the info came via Porsche UK.
Any UK members have updated info on this?