breaking up on accelaration #2

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
justindennis
356 Fan

breaking up on accelaration #2

#1 Post by justindennis »

Thanks for the responses, sorry for the misinformation on my dwell reading a dwell, I forgot you double 8cyl reading for 4cyl.

My car is a 67 912, with the stock distributer.

- Dwell is at 50 degrees, but to acheive this with a dwell meter I have to gap the points at .030?? When I set the points at .016 with a feeler guage the dwell meter reading is way to low.

- The distributer did pop up at speed out of slot gear...

- Reset by checking on #1, notch on crank pulley, and position of rotor lining up with the notch on the distributer housing

- To time, I have the distributer swung way over where condenser is hitting the oil line coming out of case.

- does not seem to be enough advance
- could have jumped time when distributer popped up?
- what do I do or how would I check this?

Using Pellows method of timing 3-4000 rpm and setting timing with timing light to mark 1.5" to right on the crank pulley

Thanks for the help guys, sorry for the misinformation last post!
Justin Dennis

Glenn Ring
356 Fan
Tag: On theSamba.com

Re: breaking up on accelaration #2

#2 Post by Glenn Ring »

justindennis wrote:- Dwell is at 50 degrees, but to acheive this with a dwell meter I have to gap the points at .030?? When I set the points at .016 with a feeler guage the dwell meter reading is way to low.
You're either reading or have the meter set to the 8 cylinder scale.

What distributor?

Forget that "making a mark 1.5" to the right.", get a modern timing light where you can dial in the advance. That feature delays the light so at 36 degrees, it lights up the TDC mark. With one of those you only need the TDC mark.
Glenn Ring

Restored Bosch Distributors

Ed Broadhead
356 Fan

breaking up on acceleration

#3 Post by Ed Broadhead »

Did you check the location of the gear with the slot drive? If the distributor moved up out of the slot, the gear may have jumped a tooth. The slot should be almost parallel with the crank pulley at TDC for #1.

Ed