1963 Sunroof Coupe Project on eBay

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
John Bulmer
356 Fan

1963 Sunroof Coupe Project on eBay

#1 Post by John Bulmer »

Interesting 63 sunroof project coupe on eBay. Anybody familiar with this car? Could be a fun project.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Tru ... .m14.l1318

jb
John Bulmer
Alberta, CANADA

Roland Paterson
356 Fan

project coupe

#2 Post by Roland Paterson »

Don't you love it when there is no PAYPAL... Very reassuring for OS purchasers.

Dave Rogers
356 Fan

#3 Post by Dave Rogers »

do you understand that paypal takes about 4% commission for overseas sales !

There are other ways to finish the deal thru the bank etc ,

And paypal will not "save" you from someone who is trying to steal from you ,
the Thief can just close his account after taking your money out....

Dave

charles kourmpates

#4 Post by charles kourmpates »

Not a bad start. :shock:

Now, exactly what do you think it would take, just to make this car a safe driver?

Best finacial guess. :D

Don't be shy.

Charles

Bil Brown
356 Fan

356B sunroof for sale on ebay

#5 Post by Bil Brown »

I know the guy that owns both the cars on ebay. I`ve called, but no reply. I emailed thru ebay asking if the cars are available for inspection. He told me "Eric does`nt want other people involved". I had told him I was asked to do a PPI on the cars, but for some reason, he does`nt want me to look at the cars.........buyers beware! Has anyone had any luck in contacting the owner?....or asked to inspect the cars?.......Bill Brown #467
Bill Brown

John Bulmer
356 Fan

#6 Post by John Bulmer »

Bill

I spoke with Eric on Monday night. Now of course my memory is not 100 % but hopefully I can remember some of the pertinent details. He purchased the car from the person who disassembled it for restoration. All parts are there (to his knowledge, but he hasn't inventoried them). Car is in generally good condition, with some floor pan rust - but he's supplying a replacement pan with the car.

He's in the process of moving so that could be why he's not been too receptive to calls or emails (he might have mentioned that he's not so good at the computer, but that could also be another eBayer that told me that).

I was hoping to get the car for a fairly good price as a good initial project to start with. Unfortunately the reserve is higher than what I would like to pay (sorry, won't share the reserve with anyone to maintain the spirit of the auction).

As an aside I also had a decent chat with the lady selling the 61 Notchback in Oklahoma and the lady with the 62 coupe in Washington. No firm purchase plans yet, but then again the shopping is way too much fun.

Cheers

jb
John Bulmer
Alberta, CANADA

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#7 Post by Adam Wright »

John-
I sold the 61 Notchback earlier this year to Deborah in OK. The pictures and videos of the car are still on my website

www.unobtanium-inc.com

Just check in cars in inventory, the car shows as sold, but the pictures and video are still up.

It was a very fun car, I am sorry to see Deborah sell it, she really liked it.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Pat Daily
356 Fan

#8 Post by Pat Daily »

Charles

I think it might take close to $40K to finish the job if you do a lot of the assembly work yourself. Having it painted, assembling the parts, having it upholstered, having the engine rebuilt, installing the glass. I base this on my knowledge of my friend with the tan 1956 356 that went to Randall Yow. It was not quite so far along as this one.
Pat Daily
Midlothian, VA
356B coupe (121123 aka "Fast Frieda") 

JOEL JENSEN

#9 Post by JOEL JENSEN »

Dave Rogers wrote:do you understand that paypal takes about 4% commission for overseas sales !

There are other ways to finish the deal thru the bank etc ,

And paypal will not "save" you from someone who is trying to steal from you ,
the Thief can just close his account after taking your money out....

Dave
Dave,
Pay Pal always takes 4% from the seller, regardless of location. I have dealt with Europe as buyer and seller for several years. If you use a bank account to transfer funds, there will be a very large surcharge for converting your dollars to Euros or Pounds. The reason so few European sellers don't offer Pay Pal is that due to the current ratio of dollars to European currencies, the likelyhood of increasing your buyer base in the US is negligible and doesn't warrant incurring the Pay Pal fee. If the dollar ever gets back to it's position of being equal or stronger than the Euro, you will likely see a sharp increase in the number of sellers offering Pay Pal. BTW, Pay Pal insures your money. It's not dependent on the willingness of the seller to meet his obligation and they are notorious for favoring the buyer over the seller.
Regards,
Joel

Dave Rogers
356 Fan

#10 Post by Dave Rogers »

I will have to disagree about paypal

I bought a GPS in England for 150 UK pounds, never got it , paypal agreed, went to the guys account and returned my .......7,35 UKP which was all he had in his account !

I am still out my money , Paypal does not care.....

There are many stories about paypal not paying up,
sure they will grab the money in the sellers account , but what happens if the money is gone ?

Paypal is not going to dig into their pocket !

it foolish to think they protect you....

Dave

Al Zim
356 Fan

63 sun roof super coupe

#11 Post by Al Zim »

I was looking at the engine and it has the characteristics of the P07xx xxx engines but does not have proper serial number to be in the last 500 engines made in 1963. I can only assume that the block is from a 356C/912 and the engine has been rebuilt using the original third piece, or a used c engine was installed using the 3re peice. Before spending any money on this project I would look closely at the car and all the parts. I will bet it will cost you 60K to bring this car back to life. al zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/