Tool bag cleaning

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Hans Peter Beck
356 Fan

Tool bag cleaning

#1 Post by Hans Peter Beck »

I have an original blue tool kit from my Roadster a a green bag from my T2. What is the best method to clean the outside of the bags and remove light rust stains on the inside. After cleaning what product should be used?

Thank you.

Hans

Pat Daily
356 Fan

#2 Post by Pat Daily »

Hans

If memory serves me correctly, there was an article about restoring tool kit bags in the 356 Registry Magazine in the past year or two (I think maybe in 2006 or 2007).

I have tried 409 spray cleaner, gently scrubbing with scouring powder and even alcohol and laquer thinner and I can't seem to get rid of rust stains on the vinyl parts of my T6 tool bag.
Pat Daily
Midlothian, VA
356B coupe (121123 aka "Fast Frieda") 

Dan Macdonald
356 Fan

#3 Post by Dan Macdonald »

Eric Cherneff wrote a great article regarding the cleaning and refurbishment of tool bags for the Registry magazine. Maybe this could be put onto the Registry technical web page....Barry?
BTW, I used Eric's techniques for refurbishing my A and C tool bags and they look MUCH better.
Dan Macdonald 
'59 A Coupe (105327) 
'57 Speedster (82954) 
Registry #1921 (1982) 
DMAIA@aol.com
My YouTube Channel: Tinmeister 356

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#4 Post by Adam Wright »

There is one great trick, but you have to be very very careful.

Get a can of Goof OFF, and a scotch pad. Spray a little of the goof off on the pad, NOT the bag, and do circuliar motions. Have paper towels and 409 handy to get the Goof Off, off. The stuff is no joke. I wear gloves too.

It works but go slow.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.