LED Lights for beehive tail lights

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Rich Peters
356 Fan

LED Lights for beehive tail lights

#1 Post by Rich Peters »

James,

How about producing some of those great lights for the cars that need it the most.........the early beehive cars?
I'm curious how many folks that have earlier cars will speak out that we need your lights!
Seems like a great solution for our pre-A car.

Craig Bush
356 Fan

Beehive LED's

#2 Post by Craig Bush »

I'd buy six!

Rich Peters
356 Fan

Anyone else need beehive LED's?

#3 Post by Rich Peters »

I know there's more early 6v cars out there that need brighter tail lights.

Several weeks ago I sent a message to James to inquire if he was going to develop lights for beehive cars. He said he didn't know if the demand would justify the development.

Let's get more of us that have that horrible feeling that someone may not see our tail lights and run into the back side, to reply and request development of the LED's for beehives.

James Franzen
356 Fan

Beehive LEDs

#4 Post by James Franzen »

I am hopeful to address the beehive design before somebody else beats me to it.

I have a local guy that is willing to spot me an original beehive housing for the electro-mechanical design, but perhaps he is waiting for me to call and ask him to ship it to me.

In the meantime I am trying to get the 6 and 12 volt teardrops into production where I won't have to spend my days and nights assembling them. When that happens I will have more time to look at the beehive design.

Jim Franzen

Cu Layer Inc.
James Franzen
Cu Layer Inc.

Ken Richardson
356 Fan

Count me in, too

#5 Post by Ken Richardson »

I am in for a set of bee hives in 12 volt! '53 coupe sure is hard to see with those tiny dim lights on the back!
Ken Richardson
Charleston, SC

Bruce Coen
356 Fan

Until then.......

#6 Post by Bruce Coen »

There are a couple of things that you can do to make some improvement. The original beehive light assemblies had single filament sockets and bulbs. I believe that the inner pair of lights were the low candlepower taillights and the outer pair were the higher candlepower for stop and turn.

The repro assemblies that I got from Stoddard have dual filament sockets. I wired the lights in parallel so that my car now has all 4 low CP filaments illuminated for taillights and all 4 high CP filaments illuminated for brake lights. It's not original but it doubles the total illumination. The fuses and wiring are more than adequate to handle the additional current. You can use your original rings and lenses on the repro socket assemblies.

Also, double check that your 6 volt car has 6 volt bulbs installed. The repro beehives come with 12 volt bulbs installed.

Thanks,
Bruce Coen
1965 Coupe #219262
2000 911 Cabriolet

Bruce Coen
356 Fan

One more thing.

#7 Post by Bruce Coen »

I forgot to mention another thing that will help your dim taillights.

If you install Joe's relay kit to make your headlights brighter, it will also have the side effect benefit of making your taillights brighter.

Even stock headlights draw relatively high current. This causes a voltage drop across the headlight switch, dimmer switch, fuse block and associated wiring. The result is less voltage to your taillights and parking lights. Joes relay kit removes this high current from the path and will make the taillights brighter as well as the headlights. Also less current through these 50 year old components will extend their life expectancy.

bc
Bruce Coen
1965 Coupe #219262
2000 911 Cabriolet