Craigslist Scammers

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Thomas Mehling
356 Fan

Craigslist Scammers

#1 Post by Thomas Mehling »

They should really know better than to try to sell unique cars. Anyway, be on the lookout for this car being sold through Craigslist. If anyone knows the owner, please let them know that someone is trying to sell their car.

The original listing has been removed (surprise!).

Herrick Griffin
356 Fan

Re: Craigslist Scammers

#2 Post by Herrick Griffin »

I believe this is the same scam that's been floating around the internet for quite some time now. We had a few threads on it in the old forums, but they've since passed.
Herrick Griffin
1963 S Coupe

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

#3 Post by Barry Brisco »

There are always various scams on craigslist, ebay, and many other online sales sites. The scammers copy photos and descriptions of cars for sale online and post them. There are two easy ways to protect yourself against the crooks:

1 - If it looks to good to be true (nice car at a price well below the obvious market value) it's a scam.

2 - The smart scammers price their non-existent cars just a bit below market value. So before you give any money to the seller, verify they own the car and that it actually exists in the location and condition they say it is in. That means seeing the car personally and meeting the seller personally, together at the same location, or having a trusted friend do that for you.

Best regards,
Barry Brisco
1959 356A Coupe 105553, Ivory / Brown
2009 987 Cayman, Carrera White / Beige (daily driver)

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#4 Post by Adam Wright »

I have found that most scams can be dealt with by emailing and asking for a phone number. 90% or more of the scammers don't really want to talk about it. It is also amusing to hear about:
1. They are deaf and can't talk on the phone, lots of deaf guys with cheap Porsches.
2. They just had jaw surgery and can't talk, lots of jaw surgery going around in the Porsche world.
3. Or my absolute favorite, I am on a conference call but need to sell this car fast, so email only.

If someone can't talk to you about a car, RUN AWAY!
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.