Cessna Aircraft Kohler Engine Primer

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Michael Eker

Cessna Aircraft Kohler Engine Primer

#1 Post by Michael Eker »

There is an aircraft quality fuel primer on ebay now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cessna-A ... enameZWDVW

This could be used to bypass the fuel pump using two brass T pieces to provide a safe

priming system.

These aircraft quality pumps feature viton seals , and lock down after use completely

emptying the pump body of fuel and creating a positive seal so are 100% safe in use.

The item shown is made by Kohler but Essex pumps are very similar.

meker

Art McLemore
356 Fan

#2 Post by Art McLemore »

Aircraft primers inject fuel into the intake manifold(small amount), it would take a lot of pumps to fill two carb bowls!
Cheers,
art
Art McLemore

Christian Guthrie
356 Fan
Tag: How many is enough?

#3 Post by Christian Guthrie »

I think the primer would be more than adequate for the 356. The primer actually pushes more fuel than you think. Wen I was getting my pilots license, another student hydrolocked an engine by operating the primer "about 20 times" His thinking was that since it was so cold, he should give it a little more to help. Needless to say, maintenance had to pull the plugs and drian the cylinders of fuel. The student was required to take part in correcting the problem so he could see the error of his ways. We all thought it was hilarious.

Michael Eker

Airscraft primers

#4 Post by Michael Eker »

You are right, for a 356 it shouldn't be called a "primer" but a "float chamber filler".

Another web site says that the new highly volatile (RFG) gas on sale now can in fact create

pockets of fuel vapour inside the fuel lines and cause vapour locks, it

advocates replacing mechanical fuel lift pumps with an electric positive displacement gear

driven pump to force the gas through from the tank.

They even specify a sutable 6V pump.

http://www.fifthaveinternetgarage.com/p ... ter_3.html

I will stick with my "float chamber filler" though.

meker