Electric winch for 356

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Alan Winer
356 Fan

Electric winch for 356

#1 Post by Alan Winer »

I have purchased an electric winch for use on my 356 trailer (content) but was told that utilizing the tow vehicle battery for the winch while the car is running can damage the electrics of the car. It was reccomended that I use a separate trailer mounted battery for this purpose. The electric winch, with it's remote control allows me to control the steering wheel while loading as opposed to endlessly cranking from the front of the trailer. Would appreciate any comments from those using electric winches. Please no wench jokes!
Thanks

Bill Leavitt
356 Fan

Re: Electric winch for 356

#2 Post by Bill Leavitt »

Alan Winer wrote:I have purchased an electric winch for use on my 356 trailer (content) but was told that utilizing the tow vehicle battery for the winch while the car is running can damage the electrics of the car. It was reccomended that I use a separate trailer mounted battery for this purpose. [...]
I would not try to run it off anything in the tow vehicle's factory electrical harness. The winch probably has a pretty good current draw, likely more than anything running to the back of the vehicle is rated for. Run a dedicated wire of suitably heavy wire back from the battery's positive post with an appropriately sized in-line fuse located close to the battery and you should be fine. Hook the ground side of the electrical hookup directly to the tow vehicle's chassis at the back of the vehicle.

Running/not running the tow vehicle's engine while doing this really shouldn't enter into the equation at all. I would probably run the vehicle's engine just to be sure you don't drain the battery down too far if it's marginal.

Kevin Wiggins
356 Fan
Tag: Fight the Power!

#3 Post by Kevin Wiggins »

My winch is hooked into the wiring harness of the trailer with a seperate battery on the tongue. I just plug it into my vehicle and I'm good to go. Works great. As you drive the vehicle it charges your battery.
Fight the Power!

Bob Campbell
Registry Hall of Fame

Electric Winch

#4 Post by Bob Campbell »

Alan,

Always run a winch off a dedicated battery. You can charge it before each use, or as Kevin suggests, charge it from the tow vehicle, or, I use an enclosed trailer with a solar charger mounted on the roof. Here in SoCal, that battery is always ready!

The remote winch controller is the best $125 I ever spent. Load it frontwards, backwards, it doesn't matter. You just walk along beside the car and steer it. Sweet.

You asked,

Bob
Bob Campbell
1956 Porsche Special
1962 S-90 Karmann Hardtop Elec. Sunroof
1964 SC Coupe
1965 C Cabriolet

It's either this or a real job.
http://www.356Services.com

Al Zim
356 Fan

ELECTRIC WENCH

#5 Post by Al Zim »

I would run a heavy wire from the battery to the rear of the car. Install a shut off at the battery and a plug at the rear of the car. I am guessing you have a light duty wench the 356 is light and you are porbably completing the work in a few minutes. It would be a good time to make sure you vehicle battery is not very old. Leave the engine shut off while using the wench. It might be time for the optima battery. Likving in Texas I have seen alot of wenches in use many of them I was standing too close to. al zim who still use a hand crank winch and a come along.
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Bill Leavitt
356 Fan

Re: Electric Winch

#6 Post by Bill Leavitt »

Bob Campbell wrote:The remote winch controller is the best $125 I ever spent. Load it frontwards, backwards, it doesn't matter. You just walk along beside the car and steer it. Sweet.
Bob, can you (or anybody for that matter) suggest a good remote controlled electric winch? I need a winch for my trailer and a remote feature like this would push me over the edge from manual to electric.

I did a 'net search but only came up with the Overton RC23 and RC30 (for marine trailers), neither of which received reviews that inspire a lot of confidence.

Ken Daugherty
356 Fan

Electric winch for 356

#7 Post by Ken Daugherty »

Bill, We bought one at Harbor Freight for our trailer. It has been
severely abused and overworked but it still works. If it ever fails we
will go get another one. HF tools are generally expendables.

Ken Daugherty
kend356@insightbb.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 1:57 PM
To: 356talk@356registry.com
Subject: [356Talk] Electric winch for 356

Bob Campbell wrote:
The remote winch controller is the best $125 I ever spent. Load it
frontwards, backwards, it doesn't matter. You just walk along beside
the car and steer it. Sweet.
Bob, can you (or anybody for that matter) suggest a good remote
controlled electric winch? I need a winch for my trailer and a remote
feature like this would push me over the edge from manual to electric.

I did a 'net search but only came up with the Overton RC23 and RC30 (for
marine trailers), neither of which received reviews that inspire a lot
of confidence.

------------------------
Bill Leavitt
356 Registry #12200
'64 SC coupe, deep in restoration
plus a bunch of other German air suckers

-------------------- m2f --------------------

To contact an administrator admin@356registry.com
To unsubscribe go to http://www.356registry.com/forum/m2f_usercp.php
Read this topic online here:
http://356registry.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 3289#13289

-------------------- m2f --------------------

Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.
Ken Daugherty

James Stein
356 Fan

winch

#8 Post by James Stein »

I ordered an electric winch with a remote from Harbor Freight and have used it for 2 years. Initially I powered it with a rechargable battery jumper power source. Now I use 20 ft heavy gauge jumper cables from the car battery directly to the winch power leads. The winch definitely operates faster and there is no worry about remembering to charge it nor having an inadequate charge. Lastly, jumper cables are a great item to carry at all times.
Jim '59 A Coupe