Period Correct Stuff

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Roy Lock
356 Fan

Period Correct Stuff

#1 Post by Roy Lock »

With us old curmudgeons getting senile, it’s time to put into writing things that we know. Too much is left to folk lore even right now.

A previous thread on fog light plugs piqued my interest enough to start digging stuff from my stash boxes to start documenting things I’ve found throughout the years and many 356’s I’ve seen and owned.

But everyone has to keep in mind that this is only first hand experience. There are always more correct answers as well as questions that arise when presenting this material. In other words, nothing is cast in concrete.

I hope others will continue to add to our collective knowledge of our cherished rides by posting more images from their stashes.

Luggage rack hole plugs

From my T-6 B coupe; 213246 came these plugs. These nylon plugs went into the holes where the luggage rack mounted. If your car did not come with a luggage rack, it had these plugs.

Original script

Today we can get script from our usual Porsche parts peddlers in nice shrink wrapped packaging. In the days of old, the period correct parts came in the same packaging, but the background was yellow with brown letters. You can distinguish original script by the base material. Period correct script was made in bronze/brass, the newer script is a lighter material; aluminum/pot metal. Period correct script can be easily repainted in 14/18k gold without fear of ruining the details.

Touch up paint

Touch up paint came from the dealers in these odd shaped tubes. The twist top consisted of a brush and a small dab of rubbing compound. The container came in a flimsy blue paper box. The container was always in the color of the paint and the paint code. This one is Condor Yellow 6010. It came from the dealer as you would see it. In a plastic zip type bag with the white and brown paper Porsche parts tag on it.

These images are sized so you can download the images and print them on a 4X6 print. I sincerely hope others will continue adding to this thread.
Last edited by Roy Lock on Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roy Lock  
Registry #1704
356 Club of SoCal #0018
62 S90 Roadster "Ole Blu"
63 S90 Sunroof Coupe "Fritz"
70 Dodge Challenger T/A "Pinky" 

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

correct stuff and odd bits

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

Here's one for you: how about the plastic inserts that goes in the drain holes in the body below the quarter windows? A friend has a "C" coupe with one still in place. I have never seen them offered by any of our vendors. In fact, on my car, a previous owner must have had the holes bondo'd over.

Mike Wilson
Lomita, Ca
'63 B coupe

Dave Wildrick
356 Fan

Re: correct stuff and odd bits

#3 Post by Dave Wildrick »

Mike Wilson wrote:Here's one for you: how about the plastic inserts that goes in the drain holes in the body below the quarter windows? A friend has a "C" coupe with one still in place. I have never seen them offered by any of our vendors. In fact, on my car, a previous owner must have had the holes bondo'd over.
On C cars, these plastic (or rubber?) plugs resemble those that are also found at each of the lower corners of the channels for the windshield and rear window glass, 2 beneath the windshield, and 2 beneath the rear window.

In my 64C coupe, for example, the rear plastic (or rubber?) plugs had deteriorated to the point that water was coming in through the holes they are found in. When I replaced the seal for the rear window and for the windshield, I removed the remnants of these plugs and filled the holes with silicone rubber.

Otherwise water entering the holes drains to the interior of the car. If the plugs in the channel beneath the rear swing-out windows are shot, the water drains into the wheel well.
Dave Wildrick
Houston, TX
64C coupe
65C coupe

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

windshield plugs

#4 Post by Mike Wilson »

Dave: do you have a part number on these that I can look up?

TIA...

mike wilson

Dave Wildrick
356 Fan

Re: windshield plugs

#5 Post by Dave Wildrick »

Mike Wilson wrote:Dave: do you have a part number on these that I can look up?

TIA...

mike wilson

Sorry, I don't. I discovered their existence by accident when I was replacing the rubber on the windshield, rear window, and rear quarter windows on my 64C coupe.
Brad Ripley, Jim Breazeale, or Brett Johnson are more likely to know.
--Dave
Dave Wildrick
Houston, TX
64C coupe
65C coupe

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#6 Post by Brad Ripley »

Depends if a Karmann or a Reutter body. I think only the Karmann had this plug. No, there is no part number in any 356 book that I have seen. Can anybody take a photo of the plug in question? Perferably as installed and then the plug by it
self.

Roy Lock
356 Fan

Period Correct Stuff

#7 Post by Roy Lock »

Factory Koni Shocks

In the B T-6 Porsche Factory Accessories Catalog, item number 9225 shown are Koni Shock Absorbers. They appear to be stock Koni's. However, shown below is a set that is distinctly Porsche. It has the Porsche style lettering and month/year of manufacturer stamped on the body. In addition, on the rear shocks, Porsche part number 644.333.501.12 was also stamped on the body. S90's came with the Camber Compensator and Koni Shock Absorbers as standard equipment.
For this picture, I used chalk to highlight the lettering.

Touch-up Paint again

Here is an additional picture of the Touch-up Paint container. This one is Signal Red (6211)

The black top had a small synthetic bristle brush and twisted off. The red cap on the black top contained a small amount of rubbing compound. There was a BB in the body of the container which helped mix the paint when shook.
Roy Lock  
Registry #1704
356 Club of SoCal #0018

Steven Unterman
356 Fan

Period Correct Stuff Signal Red Lackstift

#8 Post by Steven Unterman »

Hi Roy,

I just sent you an email, but I can't tell if it went through. In any event I've been trying to find a signal red lackstift for my 65 SC. I don't know if yours is for sale, but if so I'd be interested in buying it. Please let me know and in any event thanks for the photos.

Steve Unterman
untermanS@aol.com

Roy Lock
356 Fan

Period Correct Stuff

#9 Post by Roy Lock »

Factory Koni Shock Absorbers ... again

From Charlie White, I received the following response to my previous posting on Factory Koni Shock Absorbers. Thanks Charlie for contributing to our knowledge.

On page 7/7A(1) of the 356-B T-6 Supplement to the 356-B T-5 parts book, it lists part number 644.333.501.13, description: "Shock absorber Koni,
blue, for Carrera 2" (underline included in the parts book). In the remarks column, it says "when 644.333.501.12 is sold out". This means that your shock, part #644.333.501.12 was used on Carrera 2's until sold out, and then replaced by 644.333.501.13, a shock with only slight modifications from 644.333.501.12. The reason I know this, is because the last digit in the number 644.333.501.13, i.e. 3, INDICATES a modification, this per a factory document I have, titled "The Porsche Part Number" dated August 1968, which thoroughly explains the sequence and meaning of each set of digits in all Porsche part numbers to that date!! So I feel 110% certain that your shock is a Carrera 2 shock.

There’s been a lot of water under the bridge from 12/62 to 7/2008. I do not know why they are dark grey instead of blue. If would be an interesting story. That is what makes this an interesting journey. After all, nothing is cast in concrete.

This is a rubbing (hey! my 35 years of engineering experience finally paid off) of the stamping on the rear shock absorber. It clearly shows the Carrera 2 part number as well as the date of manufacturer.

If any of our fine readers and posters find anything, please add to this thread.
Roy Lock  
Registry #1704
356 Club of SoCal #0018

Roy Lock
356 Fan

Period Correct Stuff

#10 Post by Roy Lock »

From a good friend who wishes to remain anonymous, I have additions to our body of knowledge.

Luggage Rack Plugs

As you can see these are different from the ones I previously presented. It is obvious that Porsche used what was convenient and available. Probably from their version of McMaster Carr. These plugs are made from a similar nylon material but have an indentation in it. Notice the color. Don’t let this fool you. They came clear/milky in color when new. These have aged and have wear from UV rays. It was just a plug and in many cases were painted over or marred by mechanics and painters. These were items that were not cared for.

Rear Reflector Plugs

More plugs. These are similar to the ones I have, no hole or indentation

See, nothing is cast in concrete.

Thanks ‘Good Friend’
Roy Lock  
Registry #1704
356 Club of SoCal #0018

Roy Lock
356 Fan

Period Correct Stuff

#11 Post by Roy Lock »

Fiberboard Battery Cover; 644.611.121.00

Here is a prime example of “Nothing is Cast in Concrete”. A fiberboard battery cover made from the same material and manufacturing methods as the fiberboard fuse box cover.

Conventional wisdom says that T6 battery covers are vacuum formed black plastic covers. However, here is one made from fiberboard. Dr. Brett Johnson in his book, A Restorer’s Guide To Authenticity, acknowledged their existence.

The fiberboard battery cover shown is composed of laminated paper pressed into the final shape and the part number stamped on the inner surface. The ends are not sealed and open to the elements. With a little moisture or water, it will delaminate. This is probably why Porsche switched to vacuum formed plastic.

This example is a little worst for wear. It’s slightly warped due to usage and age. There is minor moisture delamination. It is black with a semi glossy sheen. In a ‘virgin’ spot, I measured the thickness, it is about 5mm.

Here are 2 images showing the top/exterior of the cover. You can clearly see the warpage and delamination in some spots.

The next 3 images show the inside/interior of the cover. The last image shows the part number; 644.611.121.00, faintly stamped on to the inside lower lip in one spot.

Roy Lock  
Registry #1704
356 Club of SoCal #0018

Tom Farnam
356 Fan

#12 Post by Tom Farnam »

The fiberboard battery cover (and fuse block cover) were standard equipment on the twin-grill roadsters. My battery cover is not in quite as good condition as yours, but it's original to 89639, so is staying there. At least until someone offers me one in better condition.

Tom
Tom Farnam C356C Reg. #450
D'Ieteren Roadster 89639
62Roadster at comcast.net
http://www.356registry.org/Members/Farnam/ Racewalking - www.walkingtom.blogspot.com

Alex Mestas
356 Fan
Tag: It’s only a hobby.

Luggage rack grommets

#13 Post by Alex Mestas »

Hi Roy:
Stoddards sells the luggage rack plugs NLA-703-002-00
NLA sells the rear reflector plugs Lower hing pin Part No: 644 531 308 00
1963 356 T-6 Coupe Signal Red.
1973.5 911 T Coupe Ivory.
1989 911 Carrera Targa Grd Prix White.

Alex Mestas
356 Fan
Tag: It’s only a hobby.

Luggage rack hole plugs

#14 Post by Alex Mestas »

How many plugs per car 4 or 8. Do these plugs fit in the holes where the luggage rack mounts? if so I think there are 8 holes altogether, aren't there? ( for adjustment purposes) does that mean that even if your car has a rack you still need the plugs to place in the other hole on each corner?
1963 356 T-6 Coupe Signal Red.
1973.5 911 T Coupe Ivory.
1989 911 Carrera Targa Grd Prix White.

Roy Lock
356 Fan

Period Correct Stuff

#15 Post by Roy Lock »

Thanks Tom for verifying the usage of the fiberboard cover. I have always assumed that these were used in model year 1962, and maybe into model year 1963. I have no way of verifying the exact date vacuum formed covers were introduced. Since these would most likely be switched when the supply ran out, to give a hard date or model year would be impossible.

The cover I have is appropriately large to accomadate a 12V battery. As a matter-of-fact, this cover came from a Carrera 2 Cab. I always had lingering doubts about the usage of my cover, but Tom you have confirmed that these were on 62 B T6 Roadsters. My Roadster is two numbers after yours; 89641. Thanks for the affirmation.

I would like to hear from other owners of fiberboard battery covers. Is there another configuration, or is this the only one? Would it be safe to say these covers were used in 1962 (in all probability yes) and early 1963 (or through the 1963 model year).
Roy Lock  
Registry #1704
356 Club of SoCal #0018