Generator to Fan Housing Gasket?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Mervyn Hyde
356 Fan

Re: Generator to Fan Housing Gasket?

#16 Post by Mervyn Hyde »

Reviving this. I recently fitted a (missing) cardboard gasket to my BT6 and when I check the alignment between the Gen pulley and the crank pulley, it 'looks' OK to the eye. However if I hold a straight edge across the Gen pulley (also new from Stoddarts), it is about 1/8" further rearwards than the edge of the crank pulley (that is to the rear of the car).

This reflects the fact that the new Gen pulley is wider than the crank pulley. Is there a reliable way to check the alignment from belt edge @crank to belt edge @Gen?
Merv
TYP356
1963 356B T6
1968 911 SWB

DonCichocki
356 Fan

#17 Post by DonCichocki »

Mervyn,
A piece of 12" long by 3/8" or 10mm diameter rod held in the lower pully "V" then moved over to the generator pulley "V" will show you any offset between top and bottom pulleys. Once that is done set your belt tension with the proper # of shims, take off the belt, re-assemble the gen. pulley halves with that shim stack and recheck alignment with the rod. If it's off you can add or if you're lucky subtract shims from the backside of the generator pulley to bring them into alignment with the proper belt tension. Does that make sense?

DonCichocki
356 Fan

#18 Post by DonCichocki »

After re-reading your post it sounds like you would have to move the generator pulley forward (towards fan shroud) to bring it into alignment, my above suggestion probably will not work, sorry.

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#19 Post by Brad Ripley »

This cardboard spacer question has come up before. Part of the question is, When did Porsche make the change to the cardboard spacer? I don't have inside information about it but, if you look at your 356B Parts Catalog (first big thick one), you will see the 1/5 illustration and callout #16 and callout #17 (the"pie plate". Note the font type change and then page 4. The date change on that page is 2/64. So, I conclude that the spacer was put in engines probably a few months prior. The pie plate was changed to accommodate the thickness of the cardboard spacer. BTW, the 912 book is the same.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#20 Post by Mike Wilson »

Brad: doesn't the pie plate also cover the holes in the fan to prevent the whistling?

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#21 Post by Brad Ripley »

Mike, depends of which plate is the pie plate. See illus below. I was referring to callout #17; the cardboard spacer is between that and the fan house.
Attachments
Cardboard spacer.jpg

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#22 Post by Mike Wilson »

Ah! I was thinking about #11.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#23 Post by Dick Weiss »

W/or w/o the big shroud gasket on the generator plate, use a straight edge on the pulley's edge/rim to check parallelism of the belt to the generator pulley--after trial assembly of the shims when nut is tightened.
BTW, make sure the fan shroud fits the engine correctly as the generator, when clamped w/its strap to its stand, can effect final alignment of the belt when adjusting the shim assembly to suit.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#24 Post by Wes Bender »

There is a small amount of fore and aft play with the fan housing. Just make sure you don't try to move it so far that it touches the oil cooler. It's an expensive repair if vibration wears a hole in it.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Mervyn Hyde
356 Fan

#25 Post by Mervyn Hyde »

Thank you for all this. We have the 1st Australian 356 Register Holiday next weekend and we are all trying to get our old cars ready for the long trip (only a 1000kms in my case).

The so called 'pie plate' in the case of this early 63 BT6 is quite indented so as to accommodate a gasket, it seems (Brad's image). When I fitted it, I noticed a slight difference in the generator position and moved the generator brace slightly towards the front of the car. That raised the question in my mind about the alignment between the pulleys.

I have used some straight edges and a level gauge along the pulleys' edges, and they do appear to be in alignment. I will however use Dan's suggestion of a rod in the 'V' of the two pulleys.
Merv
TYP356
1963 356B T6
1968 911 SWB

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#26 Post by Wes Bender »

Either way will work. The straight edge method has the benefit of checking without removing the belt.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Mervyn Hyde
356 Fan

#27 Post by Mervyn Hyde »

Thanks Wes. I did remove the belt and used a 1/4" pice of wooden dowling in the grooves to check again. I had to move one shim. Also released the bolt on the generator strap to relieve any stress there and retightened. Seems fine now.
Merv
TYP356
1963 356B T6
1968 911 SWB