clutch cable question

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Ken Rogers
356 Fan

clutch cable question

#1 Post by Ken Rogers »

Have a 65 C. I installed a new pedal assy. Trying to tighten up on clutch cable the adjusting screw at pedal is in about an inch on cable. I can get pliers on cable and shove cable forward. Still too lose.
I am wondering its all possible that the throw out bearing came off at fork? There should be clips holding bearing to fork. Why is it so sloppy? I don't think the 11 mm adjusting screw on the cable should go in further. Its half way home on the cable now and getting harder to adjust, the adjusting nut that is.
The clutch pedal has no tension on it at all. You can go all the way down. Sloppy loose. You don't think I have it adjusted enough?
Something gotta be wrong. I'd sure hate to drop the motor to check the bearing/ clutch assy.
OK, Clutch cable goes through the pedal hole. Then you put the adjusting nut with nut end facing front end of cable. Then after you get the right clutch tension 12/to 3/4 of an inch install locking nut. Should be done again for further adjustment. Please someone give me insight...Thanks
ken rogers

Al Zim
356 Fan

clutch cable

#2 Post by Al Zim »

On the pedal end of the clutch cable it should be about 4 inches long and 7mm in diameter the end on the transmission will be about 2 inches long a 6mm in diameter. Do you have the correct clutch cable? On the Pedal end, a spacer goes on the cable in front of the eyelet on the on the pedal this spacer is about an inch long. Adjusting your Bopwden tube will affect your clutch cable adjustment. If you have a higher mileage 356 there is an excellent possibility that the throw out forks are severely worn out and sloppy on the throw out bearing. The clutch may chatter when being released. If your motor mounts are sloppy, then it might be a good idea to fix them and the clutch as well as give the engine a good cleaning. This can usually be done in a weekend. al zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Ken Rogers
356 Fan

clutch pedal slop

#3 Post by Ken Rogers »

Al,
You sure did go deep into this subject. Thanks. I do understand your input. I did not change the cable. the cable it is the same one I am using I did not touch the back end where the tranny is. Can it be where the clutch pedal shaft was installed 180 degrees off from the assy? That would make the clutch pedal end shaft where the cable goes through hit the floor while pressing down on the clutch pedal. You can also adjust the pedals assy. complete forward or backward, but in my case I cannot move it forward or backward.
When I removed the old pedal assy because it was rusted, I installed a used assy in VG condition. I do not think that it would have anything to do with the specs difference.
I am perplexed. Man, to remove it all is a bummer. I remember the original locking position was about just a inch on the clutch cable.. Not all this slop, excessive freeplay.
ken rogers