"Marvel Mystery Oil" gas additive

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Rick Phister
356 Fan

#1 Post by Rick Phister »

I have periodically used Marvel Mystery Oil as a gasoline additive over the years. I've no indication one way or the other that it lubricates valve train and upper cylinder as advertised; just makes me feel good about being nice to my engine (4 ounces per tank full about every 4 or 5 fill ups).

Does anyone have experience with this?

Pat Daily
356 Fan

#2 Post by Pat Daily »

I used it for years too. Was told by the previous owner to use it. Have not been using it the last few years since the rebuild.
Pat Daily
Midlothian, VA
356B coupe (121123 aka "Fast Frieda") 

Jon Wright
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jon Wright »

Rick: I use it, especially in this day and age given the various fuel reformulations and the additive of ethanol. I buy it a gallon at a time. Ethanol, I think, is a dryer fuel than the previous gas and messes with our older engines, especially my fuel injected 82 SC and 356 SC. Not too bad on my 88 Carrera. I'm not sure about the technical data on this, but I have used it for years on my various old engines both American, German, Swedish, and Italian. Hey, throw it in my 1990 Toyota truck every now and then. I think it is a good product. Just my 2 cents.

Bob Slayden
356 Fan

#4 Post by Bob Slayden »

I suggest 2 cycle oil instead of Marvel Mystery Oil. I mix it in 100:1 ratio, 1 qt/25 gals of gas or ½ qt per 12 gallons of gas. My procedure is to add the 2cycle oil and Stabil to every tank since I don’t know how long the interval may be between next use and gasoline life is way less these days. After I park my car, I let it cool off then pull the coil wire or an some cars use an ignition kill switch then turn the engine over several revolutions deliberately trying to “flood” the engine by pumping the accelerator thereby coating valves and more importantly the cylinder walls with that nice formulated to burn but very lubricating 2 cycle oil. Since I started doing this I’ve had no more “smoky” starts after long periods of sitting convincing me that I have stopped cylinder wall corrosion.

Bob Slayden
Sandy Springs, GA
’62 roadster

Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.

Bob Boudro
356 Fan

#5 Post by Bob Boudro »

Bob: I use a kill switch, but turn it over before starting to coat walls and also use 200/1 mix.
The richer fouled my plugs -(even with hotter) Also use a Yahama marine product called ring free, expensive but could not believe how clean everything was-(even the heads) on a tear down. Best oil I have found is Amsoil Motorcycle oil, and I use their multi filter by-pass kit, which has the added benefit of adding another qt. + 1 in cooler. The "Authentic" Porsche filter is nothing but a screen. My oil is pristine after 5K but I change it to add the additives which have been used up/burned off. Lubrication is NOT the place to save money!
Bob Boudro