Questions about air conditioning

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Cliff Murray

#16 Post by Cliff Murray »

Gee, we didn't have AC or that other crap in the SUMMER of 1959 when we drove the 356 to the west coast and back for vacation. I sat in the back seat huffing on my parents' cigarette smoke. Seemed perfectly comfortable going through Death Valley as we laughed at the many water cooled cars that sat by the side of the road blowing steam. No need to worry, they all had bags of water hanging on their grills.

It's your car, your choice, but what you are creating with the modern updates is neither as good as a modern car nor is it a 356.

Al Zim
356 Fan

Air Conditioning a 356 in Texas

#17 Post by Al Zim »

I suggest you rethink your daily driver 356. Ijust finished a round trip drive from Ft. Worth To San Antonio. The only thing I did not see happening was two (or more) people in the car having sex! If you are out on the open freeway you will have to do 75 to keep up with traffic and in the Dallas Ft. Worth area that and better to stay with traffic in town. If your wife takes a hit from a Pick up truck or SUV plan on finding another wife. In my opinion in traffic these cars are no longer safe. al zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Jake Raby
356 Fan

#18 Post by Jake Raby »

Gee, we didn't have AC or that other crap in the SUMMER of 1959 when we drove the 356 to the west coast and back for vacation.
When the speed limit was 50 MPH and the fuel was leaded.
It's your car, your choice, but what you are creating with the modern updates is neither as good as a modern car nor is it a 356.
Its not supposed to be as good as a modern car, just better than the original.

And it is still a 356. On the outside you'll never know the difference.. The engine will be on display (and running with EFI installed) at all the major Porsche events next year. Stop by to see it and I'll be happy to explain how it was developed.

Cliff Murray

#19 Post by Cliff Murray »

Buy a 1972 911S, loaded. Done. Easy.

Jake Raby
356 Fan

#20 Post by Jake Raby »

Too easy. I have a loaded 76 912E that gets 40 MPG, has intermittent wipers, A/C and a sunroof and I have driven it 140K since I installed my engine in 2002. ..or I could just drive the Boxster.. Too easy. Too generic. Not radical enough.

BUT its time that someone broke the silence and did something with the 356 foundation that takes it to the next level. Its been that time for two decades.

I live for the people that say "Why did you do that?"

Mark Todorovich
356 Fan
Tag: Drive em

Questions about air conditioning

#21 Post by Mark Todorovich »

Jake I'm fascinated by your response. What is the horsepower and specs
of your 912E that gets 40 MpG. I've been looking for an older simpler
car to replace my Audi S4 (18 to 26 MPG). I drove a 76 911 for more than
300,000 miles until 1986. The first year of galvanized body and 40 MPG
sounds very interesting. As much fun as my 356's are. St. Louis is not
the right climate for them everyday . It's rained here about 5 days a
week for two months and the winters can be damp and cold with salt.

-----Original Message-----

Too easy. I have a loaded 76 912E that gets 40 MPG, has intermittent
wipers, A/C and a sunroof and I have driven it 140K since I installed my
engine in 2002. .

Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.
Mark Todorovich 4243
52 Coupe
56 Speedster project now underway
63 Cab?

Cliff Murray

#22 Post by Cliff Murray »

It's all good, original unmolested cars will go up in value, fewer left. Everybody wins.

Jake Raby
356 Fan

#23 Post by Jake Raby »

Cliff Murray wrote:It's all good, original unmolested cars will go up in value, fewer left. Everybody wins.
Cliff, yet again you fail to understand that this isn't molesting the car at all.. It all bolts in, no drilling, no cutting and no compromising. It will all unbolt in a weekend so you can make the car as original as you want.

As for the 912E, documentation of the engines history can be found by searching www.shoptalkforums.com as I have posted everything these since the day the engine was dynoed.

The car has seen 2,700 miles on DE coursesw as well as all the street miles I have put on it as an absolute daily driver. After 140K it still averages 37 MPG with my RAT/SDS EFI arrangement that looks bone stock as I have retained the stock plenum, runners and injectors and driven the unit with a programmable ECU from SDS to maintain the stock look.

The best MPG it has gotten was 41 when I drove it from my shop in North Georgia to Tampa Florida on 3/4 of ONE tank of gas! The car is the best touring car money can buy with a 21 gallon fuel tank and almost 800 mile range with the engine I have created for the 912E application.

The specs on the engine are basically my 2056-125 engine kit coupled to the SDS EFI kit running 9.3:1 CR... All components were Cryogenically thermal cycled and I haven't adjusted the valves once since February of 2003... they have been checked often.

Thats about it.. Lets try to keep this thread on topic, feel free to PM me if you want more info about the 912E. here is mine at Roebling Road in 2004 when it had about 60K on the clock.