356 Spotting

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
PaulLear
356 Fan

356 Spotting

#1 Post by PaulLear »

A friend saw this Speedster in Santa Rosa, California in front of Daphnes.

Pat Daily
356 Fan

#2 Post by Pat Daily »

VW Beetle rims.
Pat Daily
Midlothian, VA
356B coupe (121123 aka "Fast Frieda") 

John Alfenito
356 Fan

#3 Post by John Alfenito »

I believe the Speedster is a replica.
[url=http://www.infive.com][img]http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u316/WardAutomotiveGruppe/JohnLeaderPics/PixelButton.gif[/img][/url]

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan
Tag: Drive 'Em!

#4 Post by Mark Pribanic »

IMHO, any Speedster with 5.5" chromies is a dead give away for a replica. I'm amazed at how many auction cars (coupes as well) choose those sorry looking 5.5" chromie fakes over 4.5" painted steel wheels. Chromies 5.5" automatically throws up a red flag as a replica speedster or a restoration done by someone not in the know of 356's.

Just my $.02
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617
Florida Owners Group Trustee - 2008-2010
Neptune Beach, Florida USA
Instagram: Mark.Pribanic

Jim Beam
356 Fan

356 Spotting

#5 Post by Jim Beam »

Mark,
Well now, I don't know about the referenced Speedster, but I take issue with your 'coupes as well' comment regarding 5.5 chromies. I bought my 1963 B Coupe with the 'nasty looking' 5.5 chromies, along with the original steel wheels, in 1973 and the chromies have served me very well for the past 35 years. I am not going to tell you how to set up your car (do something about your nasty steelies) so that I can enjoy it. So, why should your comments reflecting ill as to how I set up my car so that you can enjoy it matter? My car is still on the road, still in good/great shape and destined, I hope, to be around for many years to come. I enjoy it. I enjoy driving it. I enjoy talking to people about it. And, I have yet to have someone come up to me and criticize the car for its chromies. I am trying to balance the history/concept/preservation of the car with my personal preferences that allow me to fully enjoy the car. Isn't that what is important in ownership of these cars?
Kick back. After all, in a thousand years none of this will really matter, will it.
Jim
'63B Coupe (with chromies)
'87 911 Coupe

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Jun 18, 2008 7:03 PM
To: 356talk@356registry.com
Subject: [356Talk] 356 Spotting

IMHO, any Speedster with 5.5" chromies is a dead give away for a replica. I'm amazed at how many auction cars (coupes as well) choose those sorry looking 5.5" chromie fakes over 4.5" painted steel wheels. Chromies 5.5" automatically throws up a red flag as a replica speedster or a restoration done by someone not in the know of 356's.

Just my $.02

------------------------
Drive 'Em!

Mark Pribanic
Florida Owners Group
1958 Coupe
Neptune Beach, Florida
Registry# 13617

Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.
1963B (T6) Coupe
1987 3.2 Carrera
1985 FJ60 Landcruiser
1993 Miata

Speedster sighting

#6 Post by Guest »

I think the chrome wheel reference was to the eight slotted version on the replica in the photo. When I test drove a Vintage Speedster about two weeks ago, the owner told me they now carry the disc brakes with the wide 5 bolt option and the ten slot wheels. Still what you'd technically call VW wheels, but they look somewhat closer to the original Speedster stuff. Now, how to get rid of the handbrake lever being in the wrong place. Jim Slawson, 62 S90 coupe.

Mark Pribanic
356 Fan
Tag: Drive 'Em!

Re: 356 Spotting

#7 Post by Mark Pribanic »

Jim Beam wrote:Mark,
Well now, I don't know about the referenced Speedster, but I take issue with your 'coupes as well' comment regarding 5.5 chromies. I bought my 1963 B Coupe with the 'nasty looking' 5.5 chromies, along with the original steel wheels, in 1973 and the chromies have served me very well for the past 35 years. I am not going to tell you how to set up your car (do something about your nasty steelies) so that I can enjoy it. So, why should your comments reflecting ill as to how I set up my car so that you can enjoy it matter? My car is still on the road, still in good/great shape and destined, I hope, to be around for many years to come. I enjoy it. I enjoy driving it. I enjoy talking to people about it. And, I have yet to have someone come up to me and criticize the car for its chromies. I am trying to balance the history/concept/preservation of the car with my personal preferences that allow me to fully enjoy the car. Isn't that what is important in ownership of these cars?
Kick back. After all, in a thousand years none of this will really matter, will it.
Jim
'63B Coupe (with chromies)
'87 911 Coupe
Jim,
I'm glad to see you are enjoying your coupe and especially driving it. My comment was in regards to 5.5" chromies and how the majority of time you see them being used on replica speedsters/roadsters and on coupes that go up for auction. It was not a direct shot at you.

It was just my observation & opinion on the use of 5.5" chrome wheels.
Mark Pribanic
Registry# 13617
Florida Owners Group Trustee - 2008-2010
Neptune Beach, Florida USA
Instagram: Mark.Pribanic

John Alfenito
356 Fan

Why criticise other guys' priorities?

#8 Post by John Alfenito »

Let's not overlook the real reason many guys opt for 'those sorry looking 5.5" chromie fakes' - it allows wider rubber, which dramatically improves handling.
[url=http://www.infive.com][img]http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u316/WardAutomotiveGruppe/JohnLeaderPics/PixelButton.gif[/img][/url]

Rusty Ferrell
356 Fan

356 Spotting

#9 Post by Rusty Ferrell »

Have all the list monitors gone on vacation?

Rusty

Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for fuel-efficient used cars.

Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.
Rusty

JOEL JENSEN

#10 Post by JOEL JENSEN »

The giveaway here may be the chromies, (I too have the ubiquitous 5-1/2" Mangels on my car and love the look and the MUCH better handling provided by the bigger contact patch)
but wide edges at the wheel openings is a better 'tell'. If you could see the interior the handbrake is likely in the center of the tunnel. Still a very nice car for a fraction of the cost of an original. Much easier to enjoy in the real world.

Mike Zois
356 Fan

#11 Post by Mike Zois »

BUT IT's A FAKE...it should be burned to the ground and all it's progeny hunted down as well.

%^B.
Mike Zois
57 Tubeframe Speedster
356 Registry# 17974
58 A Coupe, searching for parts
70 914/6 under restoration
73 911 RS Cabriolet
74 914 2.0 (sold)
Reno, NV

Speedster sighting

#12 Post by Guest »

The fake I drove at Vintage was a dang nice replica. And it was sure alot more fun driving with the top down. Yes, I would like to have purchased the roadster I wanted in 1986, but the one I liked was $10,000. My coupe was $5,500. If I'd known that the wife I pissed off buying the coupe was as temporary as she turned out to be, I'd have a roadster. Given that, the replicas are alot of fun to drive and the $25,000 -$35,000 + price sure beats a hundred grand. And thrill of thrills, a warranty. I'm still debating. 62 S90 coupe, or an 85 horse Vintage replica. After 22 years, it's a harder choice than the wife ever was.
Jim Slawson, SF Bay area

Bill Bixby
356 Fan

#13 Post by Bill Bixby »

If I ever run across a Speedster in Salt Lake (any 356 is a rare siting in Utah), the 1st thing I look at is door locks:Keyed most likely original, non keyed most likely fake.
Bill Bixby

Kevin Wiggins
356 Fan
Tag: Fight the Power!

#14 Post by Kevin Wiggins »

What are the "best" replicas? Are there certain builders that are really good?
Fight the Power!

Mike Zois
356 Fan

#15 Post by Mike Zois »

Intermeccanica, Beck, CMC and/or any that uses a tube frame w/o a VW pan. The rest is up to the individual that adds the components. Tube frames are real, not kits.

Rebodied VWs are junk and deserve all the scorn thrown at them. They shorten the frame, they flex and use shoddy materials.
Last edited by Mike Zois on Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Zois
57 Tubeframe Speedster
356 Registry# 17974
58 A Coupe, searching for parts
70 914/6 under restoration
73 911 RS Cabriolet
74 914 2.0 (sold)
Reno, NV