reverse lockout lost

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Bob Strickler
356 Fan

reverse lockout lost

#1 Post by Bob Strickler »

A little help please. I recently put NLA shifter bushing kit in my '53 Cabriolet. Two black rubber grommet like things in the rear and a white nylon "cup" in the front. ez job. When I disassembled the front shifter there were no traces of a cup bushing. Just grease and metal on metal. Prior to this 3rd gear was somewhere just shy of the back of the right front tire and I was fearful of skinning my knuckles on the underside of the glove box. Now the throw is 1/2 - 1/3 of what it was. The nylon alone fixed this slop. Nice! However I lost the detent/lockout for reverse. Seems logical as the nylon cup had the effect of depressing the metal ball and shift lever downward. But I want my lockout back - as in - do not want ground up parts - aka trashmission. Is this a case of cake and eat it too? Is there an adjustment? thinner nylon part? grind down the nylon? your experiences and thoughts are appreciated.

Bob Strickler

Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.

Gerry McCarthy
356 Fan

Shifter Adjustment

#2 Post by Gerry McCarthy »

Bob:
Upon reassembly, you have clamped the shift tube in the wrong position, relitive to the coupler.(the part you put the 2 new black bushings into). Shift into reverse, loosen the pinch-bolt on the tube, that holds the coupler to the tube. Now, gently, without moving the coupler, press down and put the lever into where it should be in reverse, making sure the lower shank of the lever is leaning forward, viewed from the side. Now, tighten the pinch bolt.
This gets you "in the ball-park". small rotary adjustments might be required to get it so that, when pressed to the left, against the reverse lock-out, the lever slides easily into 1st. If it needs rotating to the left, you will have to move the lever to the right of the stop, to find 1st, if it needs rotating to the right, moving to the right of the stop will get 3rd. All the time you are micro-adjusting left-to-right, recheck that the lever is vertical in neutral. If you lean it rearward, you will not get, or it will jump out of 2& 4. leaned forward, it will jump out of 1&3. With a little trial and error you'll get it!
KTF
Gerry Mc