Speedster dash emblem

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Robert Brocker
356 Fan

Speedster dash emblem

#1 Post by Robert Brocker »

Is there anyone who can inform me with the finish of the dash emblem of a Speedster?
The inside with Porsche is goldplated but I do not recall if the two long bars are Silverplated or just chromeplated.
Thanks for any help.
Robert Bröcker.

Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.

Bruce Baker
356 Fan

#2 Post by Bruce Baker »

I have always heard that those original two-tone plated dash emblems were gold and silver. To me, they have always looked more like silver than chrome.

I can look at originals and the books to see if Porsche had a description with the part number...tomorrow.

Chuck House
Registry Hall of Fame

#3 Post by Chuck House »

Bruce is correct... gold and silver plating, not chrome. Originals get a nice dark tarnish on the long bars which is the dead giveaway.
Chuck House
Southern California

Robert Brocker
356 Fan

#4 Post by Robert Brocker »

Thanks for your reply!
I will inform my plater bu return.
Robert.

Bruce Baker
356 Fan

#5 Post by Bruce Baker »

Hummm....... 644.559.305.40 Schriftzeichen "PORSCHE", vergoldet an der Schalttafel- bei Fa. Porsche zu bestellen.

Only gold is mentioned, shown installed with Tinnerman one-way clips...but I have three originals with threaded posts, two with edge bars plated silver (yes, as Chuck says, a nice tarnish that polishes off) and one with only gold. I have one that's been truncated on the right side, I suppose for an accessory gauge (?), with threaded studs/posts. I also have a few that appear to be repro, all gold or it seems one with a painted silver-ish edge bar finish, with plain studs that would need the clips to attach them.

Anyone else have a parts book or supplement that mentions any differences? Another lapse in the original literature's completeness and accuracy?

I remember (vaguely) many years ago getting a Speedster ready for a Parade Concours and having a jeweler do the two types of plating, gold and silver, and him complaining about how difficult it was and therefore how expensive his work had to be. I dimly remember it was over $100 about 30 years ago.... I can only imagine today's pricing......

Robert Brocker
356 Fan

#6 Post by Robert Brocker »

Hi Bruce,

I discussed the finish today with my plater, he mentioned that I have to be prepared to polish it maybe once a month as it will tarnish.
This proces will slow down for many months if you apply a tin layer of clear varnish or even nail polish will do.
The threaded ones which most probably also have the litlle R in a circle are the original ones if I am correct.
Anyway they will be done all three and the price is about 55 euro each.
Thanks again
Robert.

Steve Gaddy
356 Fan

Speedster dash emblem

#7 Post by Steve Gaddy »

Robert,

I did a few experiments in re-plating the dash emblems a couple of years ago in attempting to create the original look. The best result came from using an antique gold and then nickel for the silver bars. Looks very very nice with even a little patina. In case anyone is looking for a nice one I have one left I didn't use. I would sell it for $200 which is about what I spent.

Steve
sgaddy@nc.rr.com