AA Biral P&C sets?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

AA Biral P&C sets?

#1 Post by David Jones »

Has anyone any experience with these sets? Good or bad I would love to know. I have a set of the cast iron big bores in my "A" and they have worked well for upwards of 20K miles but the price on the Birals is good so wonder if they are any better or if there is a performance difference that is worth the effort.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Greg Spreeman
356 Fan

#2 Post by Greg Spreeman »

Have put a 1,000 miles on mine so far with no problems. I'll give you an update at 20K miles.
Greg Spreeman
1965 356SC Coupe
1964 356C Coupe
2001 996 Cabriolet

Gone but not forgotten:
1970 914
1965 356C Sunroof Coupe
1989 911 Carerra

Sterling Vaden
356 Fan
Tag: Where is everybody going?

#3 Post by Sterling Vaden »

Personally, I can't see any reason to convert from cast iron to biral. The factory biral cylinders were much more likely to go out of round under hard conditions, like racing, than the cast iron. Upgrading to the billet aluminum with Nikasil liners, now that would be a different story...
SV
356*D = 912
http://picasaweb.google.com/456311

Phil Planck
356 Fan

#4 Post by Phil Planck »

I just yesterday had to grind clearance on the lowest large fin as the fin hit two of the domed case nuts on each cylinder on that side of the engine before the cylinders were fully seated. These are AA cast iron cylinders. I go my set through CE and Walt recommended the cast iron cylinders, which at that time were less costly.
Phil Planck

Dave Wildrick
356 Fan

#5 Post by Dave Wildrick »

Phil Planck wrote:I just yesterday had to grind clearance on the lowest large fin as the fin hit two of the domed case nuts on each cylinder on that side of the engine before the cylinders were fully seated. These are AA cast iron cylinders. I go my set through CE and Walt recommended the cast iron cylinders, which at that time were less costly.
What engine do you have in foam car?
I just got done assembling my C engine using the AA big bore kit with cast iron cylinders, and had no clearance issues with the case nuts (acorn or otherwise).
Dave Wildrick
Houston, TX
64C coupe
65C coupe

Phil Planck
356 Fan

#6 Post by Phil Planck »

806--- S90 case, 912 heads and crank.
Phil Planck

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

AA or OEM biral cyl's compared to cast iron cyl's?

#7 Post by Dick Weiss »

The Biral cyls would have a slightly less cast liner wall thickness and having the cast aluminum fins added to the liners, the same outer/overall shape should clear the acorn nuts and head studs.
The full cast iron cyls would hardly be any stronger, but I've never "crushed one" to compare the 2! Then there's the LN "Nickies"

Dick