PART NUMBER 356-24-375

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Michael Banchero
356 Fan

PART NUMBER 356-24-375

#1 Post by Michael Banchero »

CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT A SHAFT, PART # 356-24-375 IS USED FOR AND WHAT YEAR PORSCHE?
THANKS FOR ANY REPLIES,
MICHAEL

George Bryan
Registry Hall of Fame

PARTS CATALOG LOCATION

#2 Post by George Bryan »

Michael, and others. You can find any part number by going to the tech info PORSCHE site, finding your car such as A,B,C,and search the part number (no hyphens, no periods just the number in a format with a space between number groups such as 356 356 356) . PORSCHE has been good enough to put all the old parts catalogs on line so anyone can find what they need either by part number, scrolling thru the diagrams and such. That particular part is a small pin/shaft part of the upper monkey motion A shift assembly. Link below.

https://techinfo.porsche.com/techinfo/p ... ATALOG.pdf

Here is the link to the techinfo site. https://techinfo.porsche.com/techinfo/V ... inFrameSet

No need to buy an expensive parts catalogue unless you prefer to have one in hand to thumb thru, like I do. This is a great FREE reference site. I don't recall 100% but I think Barry posted this info a while back also.

Regards, George Bryan #1175

Jim Alton
356 Fan

Re: PARTS CATALOG LOCATION

#3 Post by Jim Alton »

George Bryan wrote: No need to buy an expensive parts catalogue unless you prefer to have one in hand to thumb thru, like I do. This is a great FREE reference site.
The downloadable parts catalogs are great, but sometimes you can find different answers in the hardcopy parts catalogs. My hardcopy parts book shows more 356A mufflers than either the .pdf downloads or PET.

Then again, maybe the hardcopy is just an expensive source of additional frustration.

Jim Alton
Los Angeles County, CA
1958 Porsche 356A Cabriolet
1965 Porsche 911 Coupé
1966 Volkswagen Type 2
2003 Porsche 986 Boxster

George Bryan
Registry Hall of Fame

#4 Post by George Bryan »

Hi Jim, I agree about the differences, and the quality of the pictures in the hard copies manuals are much better. Like your muffler comment, I was able to find in the original manual the "claw" trans cover carpet holder for my 61 S90 notch was original to the car, in spite of expert opinion to the contrary. But, the Porsche info site is free and it is a time saver sometimes and is probably 98.5% same content.

I am one of the plaid shirt guys who likes to pore ove the original manual when assembling or checking some odd ball part I find in one of the spider boxes. The manuals are great especially when you at least have an idea where something came from, like the fuel system or brake system or such. Lots of dog eared pages and greasy thumprints on my garage copies.

Unfortunately, when you have no clue, like that part for Michael, I crank that part nuimber into the online Porsche catalog and let their 'puter churn for the answer rather than leaf thru 3-400+ pages and a zillion lines of part numbers. When the 'puter is done & spits out the answer....then I go look it up in my books :D

Regards,

George #1175

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#5 Post by Brad Ripley »

In my opinion and experience, there is no substitute for the genuine original Parts Katalogs.

With the part in question, take a look at the part number, 356 24 375. The prefix is "356", so it's one of the earliest parts on a Pre-A car. Then you will see the next two numbers "24" which designates the shift lever system ("424" for later parts in the shift system). Then you go to the Pre-A catalog, illustration #17 and take a look for something like in Michael's photo. Wow, there it is and the part number on page 117, description "shaft for bearing frame". Fairly rare part if truly NOS. I don't have that one in stock. Brad