6V Optiva Battery Cover

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.

6V Optiva Battery Cover

#1 Post by Guest »

Hi,

I just went out and put 4 12v batteries in series with an ammeter with high and very low ranges on it.  
There were just a couple of microamps of current across it.  Then I took a small bottled acetylene torch to it at five inches and the current did not change much when held there for three minutes.  I did not try to burn it and it did not, but it stretched and started a slow curl, melting.

I am an electronic engineer with atomic physics background and do not claim to be the last word, however there was something quite different that caused that unit to fire off.  Something shorted the two terminals on the battery and it had to be outside of the cover, I believe, and the total battery was shorted by touching the voltage connections, wires or some other part, somewhere back behind and away from the battery as the only straight forward possibility.  Even grease, corrosion, water, or acid would not fire it off.  Sulfuric acid being the worst.  Common sense says that folks.

There has to be another answer.

Paul N. Risinger
down to:
2-356SCs
911S 
Get the Moviefone Toolbar. Showtimes, theaters, movie news, & more!

Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: SF Giants Fan

#2 Post by Jim Breazeale »

Paul

I am certainly not an engineer, but the cause of the fire can be found in my post under the "Optima battery" thread.

Regards

Jim (Licensed Auto Dismantler)
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com
www.facebook.com/pages/European-Auto-Salvage-Yard-EASY/120458108029410