Brake caliper restoration, piston retractors

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Peter Lonergan
356 Fan

Brake caliper restoration, piston retractors

#1 Post by Peter Lonergan »

Hi everyone, I am overhauling the front calipers on my 65 C coupe. Whilst I have purchased some new SS pistons I am unable to remove the retractors from the old pistons.
The excellent article I read in the registry mag. some time ago removed a circlip with std. circlip pliers, however mine do not have a circlip they appear to have a washer with little notches around the outside. Can anyone give me some advice on removing these :?:
Thanks, Peter
Peter Lonergan

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: SF Giants Fan

Re: Brake caliper restoration, piston retractors

#2 Post by Jim Breazeale »

Peter Lonergan wrote:Hi everyone, I am overhauling the front calipers on my 65 C coupe. Whilst I have purchased some new SS pistons I am unable to remove the retractors from the old pistons.
The excellent article I read in the registry mag. some time ago removed a circlip with std. circlip pliers, however mine do not have a circlip they appear to have a washer with little notches around the outside. Can anyone give me some advice on removing these :?:
Thanks, Peter
Peter

Those pistons are not designed to come apart. They were manufactured in the late 60s and early 70s (my guess). You will need to find some other pistons to gut for the retractors. Also, make sure the new pistons have the proper bevel on the skirts. I have found some of them do not have enough bevel and will not retract all the way into the bores of the calipers and won't provide enough clearance for the rotors. The top picture is what you have and the bottom picture is what you need.

Regards

Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com
www.facebook.com/pages/European-Auto-Salvage-Yard-EASY/120458108029410

Peter Lonergan
356 Fan

#3 Post by Peter Lonergan »

Thanks Jim
I guess you have answered my Question, I can now see that they have been swaged in place and not ment to come apart.
I posted this question at the risk of reopening the debate on leave them in or leave them out, I can see points on both sides and I would like to thank those have helped me out here.
All the best from Down Under (Australia), keep the faith.
Peter :)
Peter Lonergan

#4 Post by Guest »

Peter:
You can remove the retraction mechanisms from those pistons. You will have to CAREFULLY drill out the swedges with a drill bit. It can be done by hand, but I would suggest a drill press. Pictures courtesy of my good friend Pete Cooper.
Here is the before:
Here it is after drilling: