steering wheel noise

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Steve Swift
356 Fan

steering wheel noise

#1 Post by Steve Swift »

I had a noise in my steering wheel and opened it up to see what was wrong. There was no bearing spring ( 914-347-713-00 ) or support ring ( 695-347-725-00 ) so I ordered same from Stoddard and installed them. No change. Off came the wheel again. I had replaced the horn contact (914-347-831-00 ) about 3K ago. It now showed a lot of wear so I put some silicone grease on it and the noise went away. 2K later it is back. Has anyone had a similar problem? Could it be the old Chinese metallurgy gremlin again?

roy mawbey
356 Fan

#2 Post by roy mawbey »

Steve,

I reckon you have a "B" or "C"?. If its an early B?? possibly its the same flasher /horn push wiring arrangement as my late "A"???. I had a definate "clonking" noise every time I drove over bumps from the steering wheel. I was completely baffled for some time on this noise. In the end after taking out the horn push yet again I found the problem. The central bullet connector reception (with green sheath as seen in photo )on the flasher push looked fine but actually was loose! I turned the body of it clockwise and it tightened right up 3/4 turn. No clunking noise since then.

Roy
RHD356A super75 106954
ROY ALAN MAWBEY

Steve Swift
356 Fan

steering wheel noise

#3 Post by Steve Swift »

Sorry, I should have included that my car is a 63 B. The noise is a squeak and not a clunk. Definitely the horn contact rubbing on the ground plate.