where would a steering box usually leak from?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
John Berners
356 Fan

where would a steering box usually leak from?

#1 Post by John Berners »

Hi All,

This summer I am determined to fix the leaky areas under my 356C Coupe and the steering box is leaking from somewhere. I had this part out about 18 yrs ago, replaced seals, etc. and it was fine until a couple of years ago when drips started to appear. The upper seal to the steering column is good and dry. The lower seal to the Pittman arm may be part of the problem, but the box is also leaking from somewhere else up higher. It seems like it may be leaking from the front of the top cover itself. Is this likely?—It looks like this is a metal-to-metal mating. Or, perhaps it is from the small vertical front cover plate held on by 4 bolts, with a gasket. Are either of these spots typical? I will replace the seals, but I’d appreciate any thoughts on what else to do.

And, for anyone who is REALLY intimately familiar with these, in my box the right front cover bolt is longer than the others. It goes through and comes out the bottom, and has a hole in it for a cotter pin (I don’t remember it being this way!) Is this the right piece? The workshop manual and Elfrink don’t show any of the bolts being different.

Thanks for any insights on leaky steering boxes. Regards,

John Berners
356C Coupe 215639 Dolphin Grey
Greenwood, IN

S.J. Szabo

#2 Post by S.J. Szabo »

The two most likely sites of leakage would be the seals around the Pittman arm shaft and the steering col. shaft, owing to the constant rotational wear on the seal rings.

90wt. will slow the leaks for a time. As will packing the case with grease for lube. But so will replacing the seals, but what a pain.

Consolation prize: oil is an excellent rust inhibitor.

charles kourmpates

#3 Post by charles kourmpates »

John,

The best way to make this easy is to remove the box and send it to Zim's for a redo. Or anyone else that rebuilds these things professionally.

With all the tasks I had at hand with my "D", the last thing I needed was to take the steering box apart. I probably would have lost pieces. :shock:

I had mine done.

Charles