Talbot OEM Mirrors (no green dot) On 1965 C Cab

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jim Alton
356 Fan

#1 Post by Jim Alton »

I did this on my 911 (because that's what the Certificate of Authenticity said it had originally).

The Durant holes are not the same distance apart as the Talbot holes. You'll have to get the Durant holes filled then drill new holes.

Talbot mirrors were not installed at the factory--they came in a box and it was up to the owner to decide where to put them.

On a 911 (and probably on most cars) if you mount the passenger side mirror in the same spot on the door as the driver side mirror is on its door you won't be able to see the mirror at all, let alone see cars behind you in that mirror.

Talbot mirrors have a narrow adjustment range. If you mount the passenger side mirror so that the mirror is aligned for-and-aft you probably won't be able to adjust it to be useful as a rear-view mirror. Convex glass can help a little. If you ever gat a chance to check out a 904 you'll probably find it has a Talbot mirror which is not aligned straight fore-and-aft.

Personally, I like the look of Talbots on a 911 in about the same spot as the Durant. I have my passenger side mirror several inches further aft than the driver side mirror. I'm not so confident the pointy Talbot would look as good on a 356. To each his own.

Jim Alton
Los Angeles County, CA
1958 Porsche 356A Cabriolet
1965 Porsche 911 Coupé
1966 Volkswagen Type 2
2003 Porsche 986 Boxster

Dave Wildrick
356 Fan

Re: Talbot OEM Mirrors (no green dot) On 1965 C Cab

#2 Post by Dave Wildrick »

Alex Goodhart wrote:Have you had Talbot Mirrors (outside) as originally installed on your car? Does it use the same position as the Durant? Talbot was offered as an option from 1960-1965.
Need photos.

I have a Duant and want to switch to dual Talbot ( Rt/Lt) need to know if it will mount in same hole in door.
My 65C coupe had a Talbot mirror on the driver’s side door when I bought it. I liked the looks of the Talbot, but it had a very limited adjustment range and I was barely able to see out of it.
I replaced it with a Durant, which has a lot more adjustment ability, mounted using the same holes in the driver’s side door.

My 64C coupe had a Talbot mirror on the driver’s side fender when I bought it. It was useless to me in this position. When I had the car repainted, I filled in the holes in the fender and mounted a Durant mirror on the driver’s side door.
Dave Wildrick
Houston, TX
64C coupe
65C coupe

Perry Lee
356 Fan

Re: Talbot OEM Mirrors (no green dot) On 1965 C Cab

#3 Post by Perry Lee »

Dave Wildrick wrote:My 64C coupe had a Talbot mirror on the driver’s side fender when I bought it. It was useless to me in this position. When I had the car repainted, I filled in the holes in the fender and mounted a Durant mirror on the driver’s side door.
A previous 64 had the larger 4" talbots on both fenders and they were useless at first. I just went to the company that sells the replacement parts for the mirrors and ordered convex glass and a few other parts, which eliminated any blind spots in that car. Here's a link to their website http://www.talbotco.com/talbot_mirror.htm
Perry
Registry #11461

Charles Foster
356 Fan

#4 Post by Charles Foster »

When I bought it, my '64 SC had dual Talbots. They were mounted symmetrically on each door. Passenger side was useless to the driver but very enjoyable for the passenger, especially when participating in a 356 convoy! As noted previously, these mirrors have very limited adjustment range so even the driver's side wasn't too useful. I also found the aesthetics of the passenger side Talbot unappealing.

Unfortunately both mirrors were pretty beat up and given their downsides, as well as the advantages of a Durant mirror (wider adjustment range, possibly more "correct" for C cars), I switched over to a single Durant during the restoration of this car. I like the Durant much better.
 --
Charles Foster
http://www.northforkdesigns.net/porsche356/