value matching gearbox/engine

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Etienne Kerkhoffs
356 Fan

value matching gearbox/engine

#1 Post by Etienne Kerkhoffs »

I've bought a 1958 356A T-2 Sunroof coupe for restoration. Its gearbox is from 01/57 and the engine from 1960 (with Son plate). I have the original gearbox nr from the cardex but the engine nr not (yet).
Is it worth the money (for the value of the car) to replace both for a 1958 engine and gearbox that won't match the car (and cardex) but only the year or are there better things to spend my money on?

charles kourmpates

Re: value matching gearbox/engine

#2 Post by charles kourmpates »

Etienne Kerkhoffs wrote:I've bought a 1958 356A T-2 Sunroof coupe for restoration. Its gearbox is from 01/57 and the engine from 1960 (with Son plate). I have the original gearbox nr from the cardex but the engine nr not (yet).
Is it worth the money (for the value of the car) to replace both for a 1958 engine and gearbox that won't match the car (and cardex) but only the year or are there better things to spend my money on?
EK,

I would have been patient and purchased an "original" numbers matching car from the get-go, unless you scored, but that's me. :shock:

Restoration? Really! In the true sense or just a "cosmetic" redo?

Is this absolutely the last car you will own? What was the initial cost? Imagine the cost of locating, purchasing and shipping original engines and gearboxes? Not to mention the rebuild. Real restoration costs! Add it all up. Then double it!

Is your goal to sell the car for profit?
Etienne Kerkhoffs wrote: are there better things to spend my money on?
You asked if there's "better things to spend your money on?"

ABSOLUTELY! I can think of plenty. :D

Mr. Greenie, where are you?

Charles