touring

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Bud Osbourne
356 Fan

touring

#1 Post by Bud Osbourne »

Just a quick note, here...wanted to share this w/fellow 356ers:
My wife and I, along with a small group of like-minded 356 and MG folks, spent a delightful Memorial Day weekend touring the Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania and Western Maryland. With one unpleasant exception (a 15 minute "forced march" on busy I-68), we stayed on lightly travelled back roads.
Absolutely beautiful weather all weekend long. The S-90 performed flawlessly all weekend long (no surprise, at all), and, although I'd have been just as happy with a 1600N, I love the song of a Super 90 running in the "sweet spot" of it's power band. At one point, after storming an uphill section of tight, twisties; I heard myself saying to my wife "I LOVE this car". The MG folks were impressed by the way the 356s ate up the turns. And I LOVE those big, drum brakes! Lots of long, steep, downhill work, but they were never challenged and hauled the car down, every time, w/o drama.
We stayed at an absolutely delightful B&B, and capped off each evening sitting on a patio, enjoying munchies, beer & wine (planned that way the first night, forced by restaurants all being closed Sunday night), with topics ranging from cars to kids to ballet to politics (nothing serious, just laughing at the ridiculousness of it all) to English plumbing standards (several native Brits in our group......you had to be there), and hockey.
Obviously, weekend tours, with small groups, is a great way to enjoy these cars. Many of us, across the US, live in close proximity to great "driving roads", wonderful scenery and comfortable, Non-Nat'l chain lodging & restaurants. Don't let it go to waste.......get your friends together and go out and ENJOY it.
Bud Osbourne
356Burgh