Need help id'ing connections on non-OEM 12V regulator.

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Johnny Graham
356 Fan

Need help id'ing connections on non-OEM 12V regulator.

#1 Post by Johnny Graham »

My black box regulator on my 12v-converted 65 C is kaput, and I have just received its replacement -which is a simple no-name brass-coloured item - (I couldnt justify the heavy cost of a new black regulator as my car is an outlaw-bitsa-driver anyway. I'm saving up for full flow oil anyway!)

Slightly frustratingly, none of the connections apart from D+ are labelled on the new regulator, and no-one is home today at the suppling dealer. Beautiful day - dont blame em.

Was hoping to fit it in rare free time this weekend, but have no clue as to what goes where. Dont want to fry the new regulator by guessing, either..

Here are some pics. The D+ has a second connector immediately beneath it.

So - I need to find places to connect ground, 61, DF and B+.. have tried a search on the serial number, and there are no diagrams on the shell etc.
Thanks in advance.

(3rd pic is of D+ connector)

Cheers!
Johnny

1965 356C Bahama yellow outlaw driver #222499
1989 911C4 daily driver
1984 M-B 280E W123 Morrocan taxi
1985 Citroen 2CV

Johnny Graham
356 Fan

#2 Post by Johnny Graham »

OK, this is my best guess, on the following logic!

The 'spare' D+ just connects directly to the main D+
D-/Earth connects straight to casing
Battery is the big one on the right, just like in a VW? (But there are two connectors there..)
F is the only one left unidentified!

I included a pic of the underside too.

Edit on Monday!: Figured it out I think, as above except the spare D+ is of course where I should connect '61' for the red light..

The two B+ spade connectors are apparently for dual charging circuits, on vans for example - so I could choose either?

Looks like its probably just the same as any VW/356 reg - but you'd be surprised how hard it is to find a confirmation of what connects where!
Cheers!
Johnny

1965 356C Bahama yellow outlaw driver #222499
1989 911C4 daily driver
1984 M-B 280E W123 Morrocan taxi
1985 Citroen 2CV