Shipper Recommendations

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Chris Duerr
356 Fan

Shipper Recommendations

#1 Post by Chris Duerr »

Could anybody recommend a person who is in the business of shipping cars? I need a car shipped from WI to PA. Thanks, Chris

Joseph Annicelli
356 Fan

#2 Post by Joseph Annicelli »

Yes contact Joe Jakubus he is one of us and comes highly recomended.

jjakubus@yahoo.com
Joe

Raymond Mead
356 Fan

Shipper Recommendations

#3 Post by Raymond Mead »

hello chris

i just used intercity lines to move a car from Vegas to northeastern Penna.........

loved them!

not only did they actually pick up the car in Vegas on the day they promised
(a less frequent occurence than you might imagine), but it came when promised too!
(along with a Gullwing, a DROP DEAD gorgeous '41 Chev woodie, and some wierd
sort of racing Lotus)..............

anyway - i highly recommend them!

good luck,
ray
----- Original Message -----
To: 356talk@356registry.com
Sent: Sunday, November 22, 2009 12:22:19 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [356Talk] Shipper Recommendations

Could anybody recommend a person who is in the business of shipping cars? I need a car shipped from WI to PA. Thanks, Chris

------------------------
Chris Duerr

Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.
65 356C coupe
04 SAS '57 356 Conv.
66 Austin Healey 3000
59 Austin Healey replica
XK120 Jaguar replica
51 Citroen Traction Avant restorod
11 Chevy HHR

James Watters
356 Fan

#4 Post by James Watters »

Have used Intercity and Fedex transport. Both are excellent.
Jim
59A Coupe
64C Sunroof

Rick Hartbrodt
356 Fan

#5 Post by Rick Hartbrodt »

Chris
Perhaps most importantly it is not worth saving a few bucks using a broker who will throw you in the "pool". I would also not use a one or two car hauler unless he comes highly recommended. Intercity and Reliable and FedEx are great and can most always be counted on to do it quickly. If you are moving something very expensive and do not want a car riding above it use Gary Straight of Straight Roads. 970 227-0237. He hauls big rigs but single level only. No stacking.

Dan Mazur
356 Fan

Transporters

#6 Post by Dan Mazur »

Rick,
Not sure where your recommendation to avoid one or two car haulers is coming from. I have had the best results using people with two car enclosed trailers.
In fact one of the recommendations everyone agrees on here uses a two car enclosed trailer.

Definitely agree to avoid using a broker, unless your hauling junk.
I used one once and the driver showed up with a new car hauler, complained relentlessly about not being able to get it started. Made me take it off and then charged me extra for a non runner....I called the state police.

Dan
"I never leave Ann Arbor. The real world is too hard to face."

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#7 Post by Adam Wright »

Shipping can be a nightmare. I have a broker I use only because I buy cars from all over and finding a driver who goes everywhere is impossible. But I have been using this broker for years without problems, knock on wood. Luckily I send them a lot of business, so they take good care of me. This will not happen if you go to one of the big brokers like Express Auto www.theexpressauto.com
They will tell you they have their own trucks and their own people and they will just put you on General Dispatch and take the CHEAPEST guy who comes along, english speaking is not a requirement.
Always try to go with some who is recommended by another Porsche guy. Our cars are funny little things and can be destroyed by the wrong driver. Like this 54 I sold a guy, I watched the guy ball the car up, the front and rear axles literally got about 2 feet closer. Normally I try to do all the loading when these guys come to pick up cars, only because I know how to load them and where to put straps and winch cables. But this guy refused my help and destroyed the car.

Don't go with the cheap quote and if you have a bad feeling about a transporter or a broker, walk away. I have told guys I would not release a car to them, they get pissed but one look at Big John and they tend to settle down.

www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Rick Hartbrodt
356 Fan

#8 Post by Rick Hartbrodt »

Dan
Please re-read my post. I qualified the comment re small haulers. There are some really good ones and I have one I actually call first before the big guys. You just have to know with whom you are dealing with. Just like the brokers. There are a few good ones but why stick one in the middle. The 4 or 5 biggest/best carriers will almost always have a rig going your way. Especially this time of year til things heat up for Scottsdale.

Jim Neil
356 Fan

#9 Post by Jim Neil »

I and many (7 or 8 ) of my friends have used DeMoise Trucking (www.demoise.com) and they are a family run operation and just outstanding. As with all smaller truckers, the timing and location have a lot to do with their ability to meet your needs, but you can't do wrong by them if they fit into your plans.
1960 356 B Coupe
2009 911 Turbo Coupe
2016 Panamera
Gone but not forgotten: 2005 Carrera S, 2004 Targa, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 Targa, 1993 RS America, 2004 Cayenne S, 2005 Cayenne S, 2009 Cayenne S

Alan Brody
356 Fan

#10 Post by Alan Brody »

One more recommendation:

Chris Ridgway

714 402-0129

chrisridgway181@yahoo.com

Chris has a big pickup and an enclosed two car trailer. He has moved my car twice and picked up a roller for me. He is Rod and Gary Emory's first choice for transporting their cars and their customers' cars.

He has always been great at communication and right on time. If I ever get one of my dream cars, Chris will transport it.

Take care and drive smiling,
Alan

Bruce Baker
356 Fan

#11 Post by Bruce Baker »

Chris, as you know, I am shipping cars regularly, all over. The most important thing to do, other than compare pricing among the known truckers, is to see what areas they cover. Many will go north-south or east-west, but few do out-of-the-way areas due to the cost now to do what they do.

(A car arrived this AM with the report that the self-towing 356er was charged $47.50 with a single axle trailer to traverse the PA Turnpike from Ohio to Valley Forge. And again on the way back home.)

I have been impressed by FedEx Express, Bob Pass' old Passport Transport. I got a car from PA to MS for $1,200 with a little extra for guaranteed delivery time to coordinate with the customer. Other biggies wouldn't offer that route or couldn't say when they could if they would.

There is a guy with a two car trailer towed by a nice dualie working out of Florida who is very good, as well, but it's been a few years since he's come my way. Sanabel (sp?) Island...? Anyway, don't discount those guys altogether.

Now, the funny story about 'auto transport'--- Ken Ward contracted with a guy to tow my T-6 Roadster 'down sowf' after he bought it and it was completed his way. Nice car. The guy who was to do the towing didn't show on the day he was to, but that's the good part.

When he finally did, he was towing a rickety old single axle trailer behind an old Caddy! He tied the car down with ROPE! He opened the trunk to fetch something while I was standing nearby and the trunk was filled with BEER! COLD beer...... "Hey, y'all want one?" O-M-G!

The guy then took off ... hey, it was Ken's guy, his choice and he owned the car by then ...... and a few days later, Ken called, unable to locate the guy or his car......many excuses, delays for days from the 'broker' later, the guy stumbled into Ken's destination almost a week late ..... and miraculously, the 356 was intact. Sometimes, you actually DO get what you pay for.......if you have the patience, luck and fortitude to offset the risks, you CAN 'shop price.'

Rick Hartbrodt
356 Fan

#12 Post by Rick Hartbrodt »

I too have used the 2 car hauler from Sanibel Island and he was great. But like Bruce it has been too long and I can't find his stats.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

Shipper Recommendation

#13 Post by Vic Skirmants »

We know Joe Jakubus very well, he has transported many cars for us and our customers, including an Abarth Carerra. He is a local Michigan policeman. He has both a 2 car and a 1 car enclosed trailer and always shows up on time is professional and knows 356's very well. He has never damaged a car.
you can also call him at 734/837-1118
Michigan est
Barbara Skirmants

James Watters
356 Fan

#14 Post by James Watters »

One more thing...who ever you use, make sure they have insurance that will cover your car in case something happens!!!!
Jim
59A Coupe
64C Sunroof

Don Carnell
356 Fan

Re: Shipper Recommendations

#15 Post by Don Carnell »

Hi folks need some advice,
Sunday Transport just canceled on me on shipping my car from Minneapolis to Raleigh, NC. I’ve been waiting almost 6 weeks on the car and now they backed out saying their drivers are sick.
Anyway, no need to cry over spilled beer just move on. The posts on this forum are a bit old so I thought I’d poll the group to see if they have any recent advice on reliable haulers. BTW Intercity already said they wouldn’t do it.
Thanks for your help,
Don