Restoration info

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jeff Clarke
356 Fan

Restoration info

#1 Post by Jeff Clarke »

Hi Listers- New system confusing but here goes- What is proper engine compartment finish for 57' speedster going together after bare metal restoration? Also- am converting license plate mounting from two holes thru body method to the horizontal bracket- does the bracket olld the top or bottom of the plate? Yhanks- Jeff Clarke #48

Jim Johnston
Registry Trustee

Restoration information

#2 Post by Jim Johnston »

For T2 Speedsters, at least, the engine compartment should be undercoated. A friend has an original '58, and the undercoating is pretty sloppily applied. Just restored my '58, and it's applied very neatly - but still just plain old undercoating. This was the cheap model in the Porsche line.

On the license bracket, it's less clear. They were installed by dealers, so I'm not sure there is much consistency in placing the bracket at the top or bottom of the plate. One "rule" to use might be to put it on the bottom for a shine-up light and the top for a shine-down light, but I'm sure that is violated too often to even call it a rule. Another consideration is that when you place the bracket on the bottom, you don't easily see the bracket, whereas it will be more evident in a top mount. I put mine on the bottom, but my friend's is located at the top. I'll be interested to read others' opinions on this.

Jim Johnston

Gerry McCarthy
356 Fan

Restoration info

#3 Post by Gerry McCarthy »

All:
Jim is correct re: the dealer installing the alum bracket, with screws about 2" apart, so it was up to individual mechanics, before the were called "technicians". I think that mechanics had a lot more fun than technicians.
I found that, if the bracket was close to the light, most of the illumination went behind the plate, if the bracket was opposite the light, the plate could be angled so that it was well lit. Many opted for stealth! ( police take notice)
KTF
Gerry Mc.

----- Original Message ----
To: 356talk@356registry.com
Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2008 7:38:54 AM
Subject: [356Talk] Restoration info

For T2 Speedsters, at least, the engine compartment should be undercoated. A friend has an original '58, and the undercoating is pretty sloppily applied. Just restored my '58, and it's applied very neatly - but still just plain old undercoating. This was the cheap model in the Porsche line.

On the license bracket, it's less clear. They were installed by dealers, so I'm not sure there is much consistency in placing the bracket at the top or bottom of the plate. One "rule" to use might be to put it on the bottom for a shine-up light and the top for a shine-down light, but I'm sure that is violated too often to even call it a rule. Another consideration is that when you place the bracket on the bottom, you don't easily see the bracket, whereas it will be more evident in a top mount. I put mine on the bottom, but my friend's is located at the top. I'll be interested to read others' opinions on this.

Jim Johnston

Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.
Gerry Mc