Solid 356 C brake rotors

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Alex Goodhart

Solid 356 C brake rotors

#1 Post by Alex Goodhart »

Are these available in slotted for better braking, or lightweight format where the hat is alloy to reduce unsprung weight?

Michael Eker

Solid 356 C brake rotors

#2 Post by Michael Eker »

This chappie says he used 934 ventilated disks.

http://www.theofftopic.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=253

meker

Conrad Carter
356 Fan
Tag: Let's be careful out there!

Re: Solid 356 C brake rotors

#3 Post by Conrad Carter »

I know this is an OLD post but wondering where one might find 934 rotor Size? It was made only 2 years, right?
Conrad

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#4 Post by Doug McDonnell »

That is based on a 914-6 chassis which used 911 components. Doubt applicable to 356.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#5 Post by Ron LaDow »

'Massaged' discs tend toward a short life. Do you have any reason to think they are needed?
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Ashley Page
356 Fan

#6 Post by Ashley Page »

You can take them to someone with a CNC mill with a 3jaw big enough to hold them and it’s not difficult to use a ball end mill to cut grooves about .12” wide by .03” deep. Leave them short of the rotor ID and OD by .18” or so.

You will experience a little better bite and the rotors will look good.

Biggest negative - more brake dust and a little higher wear rate on the pads which will vary between different pad brands.

I would like to have them on my car but just never got around to doing a set. Plus you can’t see the rotors to well thought the wheels - probably why I never did them.

If you are thinking strictly performance, then (IMHO) not worth the time and money for a 356.

If you are thinking fun and looks - great idea go for it.

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#7 Post by Edwin Ek »

Doesn't Willhoit sell slotted rotors?

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#8 Post by Doug McDonnell »

1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

#9 Post by Sean M Rooks »

Doug McDonnell wrote:Edwin is correct: http://willhoit-auto-restoration.mybigc ... ke-rotors/
I have Willhoit's slotted rotors on my car. I run replica Fuchs right now, so you can see them through the holes and it looks pretty cool. Kinda goes with my racey theme. They were also priced very competitively to Stoddard, Pelican, etc.

Be aware that due to the slotting process they use the protective gray coating is not applied inside the slot, so they will show a bit of surface rust from condensation and the occasional puddle.

The slots will be all but invisible when I switch to 911 steelies this summer.

Al Zim
356 Fan

#10 Post by Al Zim »

Sean: if you are running the cast aluminum replica Fuchs wheels (The size of the wheel is on the inside of the spokes in inches) You should immediately remove them from your car. These wheels will break easily and cause you undue problems. Put your steel wheels back on you will be better off.
REGARDING SLOTTED ROTORS: Zim's also gas slots rotors. $37.50 each in lots of two. You can save postage if you purchase the rotors from us and have us slot them. al zim Zim's Autotechnik 800.356.2964
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#11 Post by Brad Ripley »

Other than the "Cool Factor", are you planning on running the next Le Mans? In any event, Willhoit's price works out to be $87.50 each vs Zim's at $110 each. Don't know the brand of either offering.

Sean M Rooks
356 Fan
Tag: '64 C Coupe

#12 Post by Sean M Rooks »

Al Zim wrote:Sean: if you are running the cast aluminum replica Fuchs wheels (The size of the wheel is on the inside of the spokes in inches) You should immediately remove them from your car. These wheels will break easily and cause you undue problems. Put your steel wheels back on you will be better off.
From what I can tell they are American Eagle replica fuchs made in the 1990s in 15x6. They came on the car and the previous owner did not include stock wheels. I've read all the horror stories regarding cracking and breaking but the car is street driven so I'm not particularly worried. There seemed to be an equal number of "they're fine on the street" comments to balance out the alarmist warnings in my research. With the price of real Fuchs wheels these days I felt fine taking my chances. Regardless, I'm swapping them for steel early 911 wheels in 15x5.5 because I like the look better (even cast the reps are lighter than the steel wheels). I just need to paint the steelies.
Al Zim wrote:REGARDING SLOTTED ROTORS: Zim's also gas slots rotors. $37.50 each in lots of two. You can save postage if you purchase the rotors from us and have us slot them. al zim Zim's Autotechnik 800.356.2964
Other than the "Cool Factor", are you planning on running the next Le Mans? In any event, Willhoit's price works out to be $87.50 each vs Zim's at $110 each. Don't know the brand of either offering.
The brand is Sebro for the Willhoit brakes. As you've noted, the price made them attractive as well as the looks. My car's a mild outlaw so originality and pure rationality go out the window. I don't need plexi windows either but I've got em.