WEATHER STRIP KIT

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
GREGORY BIDWELL
356 Fan

WEATHER STRIP KIT

#1 Post by GREGORY BIDWELL »

CAN ANYONE PLEASE TELL ME WHERE I COULD FIND A COMPLETE WEATHER STIP KIT FOR MY 1964 COUPE. I HAVE BEEN RESTORING THE CAR FOR 9 YEARS AND AM READY TO BOLT HER BACK TOGETHER. ALL I NEED IS NEW RUBBER. I HAD SEEN THEM LISTED IN TWEEKS YEARS AGO FOR ABOUT $500.00 BUT THEY ARE NO LONGER AROUND.
THANKS GREGORY

Charles Foster
356 Fan

WEATHER STRIP KIT

#2 Post by Charles Foster »

Gregory:

I've found everything I needed for my 64 coupe's weather stripping and related rubber needs between Stoddards, International Mercantile, and NLA. Have always received EXACTLY what I ordered from both IM and NLA. Stoddards has fooled me more than once by sending incorrect parts (for example, sending hood handle profiles labeled as door top profiles). This particular case led to several frustrating wasted hours.

Considering the time spent, if I were to do this all over again I'd probably just call Terry at International Mercantile and ask him to assemble a kit with all the required parts. He's very up-front about parts he doesn't make, and for those I'd go to NLA and Stoddards in that order.

Regards,

Charles

--
Charles Foster
hc_foster@hotmail.com (hc_foster@hotmail.com)
http://www.northForkDesigns.net/Porsche356/

Subject: [356Talk] WEATHER STRIP KIT
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 06:47:26 -0700
To: 356talk@356registry.com

CAN ANYONE PLEASE TELL ME WHERE I COULD FIND A COMPLETE WEATHER STIP KIT FOR MY 1964 COUPE. I HAVE BEEN RESTORING THE CAR FOR 9 YEARS AND AM READY TO BOLT HER BACK TOGETHER. ALL I NEED IS NEW RUBBER. I HAD SEEN THEM LISTED IN TWEEKS YEARS AGO FOR ABOUT $500.00 BUT THEY ARE NO LONGER AROUND.
THANKS GREGORY

Keep your kids safer online with Windows Live Family Safety. Help protect your kids.

Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.
 --
Charles Foster
http://www.northforkdesigns.net/porsche356/

Bill Coghlan
356 Fan

Rubber Seal Sources

#3 Post by Bill Coghlan »

John Willhoit posted these comments and/or recommendations on the 356 Talk List -

----- Original Message -----From: "John Willhoit" <willhoit356>To: "Dan Uhl" <duhl356>; <356talk>Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 1:34 PMSubject: [356Talk] A restorer's humble opinion RE: Stoddard's rubber>> Hello everyone,>> I haven't read all the responses to this topic so if I'm repeating other> listers I apologize.> At my shop we have used all the various rubbers supplied over the past> 30+ years and I have definite opinions on specific rubber and suppliers.> For what it's worth, I've listed them below.>> 1. To my knowledge there is only one supplier of windshield and rear> window seals and that is the oem supplier to Porsche. All of the vendors> sell the same seals. International Mercantile attempted to produce his own> seals about 10 years ago but they didn't have the moulded in curves and> wouldn't install properly. The cracking issue has been an off and on> problem for the last 30 years and must have something to do with random> issues involving the chemistry of the rubber. The Karmann seal has been> the most prone to cracking, probably because it has a thinner lip.> Stoddard, NLA, Parts Obsolete, IM, Zims, etc. all sell the same rubber> seals for the windshield and rear glass.>> At my shop I guarantee the seals to be perfect when the car leaves...if> they crack a week later, I don't guarantee them because I've never been> able to get our wholesale importer/supplier to guarantee them.>> 2. Stoddard and International Mercantile are the two companies that> stepped up years ago and started producing assorted rubber items. All of> the other vendors buy from them. The exception is some of the rubber that> is produced and sold with repro parts (tailight seals, etc). IM could have> probably been the sole rubber producer for our cars, but never offered> enough discount to vendors.>> 3. Some of the issues I've found and some suggestions for specific rubber> seals are as follows.>>> Windshield seals - any supplier (and keep your fingers crossed).> Door seals - Stoddard, IM seals are too thin.> Roadster WS seal - Stoddard, IM lower seal is not the correct shape.> Deco insert - IM has the correct plastic for B/C and rubber for 356A.> Floormats - Stoddard, IM floor mats are too thick. None are perfectly> sized.> Headlight to body seal - IM, Stoddard's is too thin and hard.> Teardrop taillight seals - IM only, these will not color the paint. The> factory seals supplied with the OEM lights will blead into the paint.> We've never tried the NLA seals so I don't know.> Hood seal - Stoddard sells the oem one, IM's is thinner and better for> some applications. There have been several oem ones over the years.> Quarter window - IM has outer seals that won't crack.> Vent window seals - only oem is made, use any supplier.> All other seals can be purchased from any supplier and there are no> issues. For you bargain shoppers, IM is usually the cheapest on the items> that he produces.>> I hope this helps,>> John Willhoit

If you search the Registry archieves, you'll find the original which would probably be easier to read in "outline" form. Based on John's work product and experience, I consider his recommendations to be extremely valuable and my frustration with various seals has been minimized (but not eliminated).

Good luck,

Bill