Windshield Removal

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Tom Megan
356 Fan

#16 Post by Tom Megan »

I'm certainly no expert on any car other than (maybe?) my own, but I have done my windshield twice. I would say that if it's not impossible to remove the trim while the glass is in the car, it's the next thing to it.

Glass is a mysterious material and working with it is an imperfect science at best, so I would say "Proceed with Caution" especially in regard to the windshield. The rear glass is tempered and is quite durable (at least to a point :P ), but the laminated windshield glass needs to be treated with kid gloves.

This last time (for now) that I did my car I was smugly pleased with myself for successfully removing the windshield all alone, and without cutting the gasket. However, (you knew there'd be a HOWEVER, didn't you? The Porsche Gods HATE human smugness above all else :wink: ) when it came time to put it back in, the glass cracked in my hands when I was simply putting the new gasket on it.

You know, Mark Twain said: Under certain circumstances, urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.

Now I've spent most of my free time over the last 40 years working on old cars, boats, and bikes, and over that period I've built up quite an impressive vocabulary of swear words and filthy epithets, under this circumstance I enthusiastically deployed the entire package, and even that provided scant relief --
Tom Megan
Reutter Coupe #131645 since March '75

Jim Breazeale
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: SF Giants Fan

Re: Windshield Removal

#17 Post by Jim Breazeale »

Jim Beam wrote:Is there a tech article dealing with windshield removal? I found the one on how to install the coupe windshield but it does not address the removal process. Thanks.
Jim Beam
Jim

Professional glass installers all use their own method for removal of windshields. Most don't care what happens to the old windshield because it is going to be replaced with a new one.
If you want to save the existing windshield, you will need to cut the windshield rubber by using a box knife or, my personal favorite, a Linoleum knife.
Slide the knife between the glass and the rubber and cut the rubber all the way to the metal windshield opening. There really isn't that much material there so it is pretty easy. Cut around the complete circumference of the windshield.
Gently push the windshield out from inside the car. Make sure to not force it and try and push so you are not putting pressure on any one spot. Windshields are very fragile. I use a short cut when the rubber seal is still pliable. I make a cut in the windshield rubber of about a foot or so and then get in the car and pull the seal from inside the car. Most of the time you can grab the inner from and just pull it apart from the outside and the winshield will come out very easily. Do not make any attempt to remove the trim strip until the windshield and the seal are out of the car. If any one is confused or unsure of what I just wrote, give me a call and I can explain the process over the phone. It is not difficult at all.

Regards
PS: Yes, I was out playing golf for the last 3 days.....Spyglass Hill on Sunday, The Links at Spanish Bay on Monday and Pebble Beach yesterday. It rained, but playing Pebble Beach in any kind of weather is better than working, IMHO.
Last edited by Jim Breazeale on Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Breazeale
www.easypor.com
www.facebook.com/pages/European-Auto-Salvage-Yard-EASY/120458108029410

Joris Koning
356 Fan

Windshield Removal

#18 Post by Joris Koning »

Jim, life sure is a bitch. Looking forward to Bandon and the camp out afterwards :-))

Sent: Wed 1/27/2010 6:36 PM
To: 356talk@356registry.com
Subject: [356Talk] Windshield Removal

Jim Beam wrote:
Is there a tech article dealing with windshield removal? I found the one on how to install the coupe windshield but it does not address the removal process. Thanks.
Jim Beam
Jim

Professional glass installers all use their own method for removal of windshields. Most don't car what happens to the old windshield because it is going to be replaces with a new one.
If you want to save the existing windshield, you will need to cut the windshield rubber by using a box knife or my personal favorite a Linoleum knife.
Slide the knife between the glass and the rubber and cut the rubber all the way to the metal windshield opening. There really isn't that much material there so it is pretty easy. Cut around the complete circumference of the windshield.
Gently push the windshield our from inside the car. Make sure to not force it and try and push so you are not putting pressure on any one spot. Windshields are very fragile. I use a short cut when the rubber seal is still pliable. I make a cut in the windshield rubber of about a foot or so and then get in the car and pull the seal from inside the car. Most of the time you can grab the inner fral and just pull it apart from the outside and the winshield will come our very easily. Do not make any attempt to remove the trim strip until the windshield and the seal are out of the car. If any one is confused or unsure of what I just wrote, give me a call and I can explain the process over the phone. It is not difficult at all.

Regards
PS: Yes, I was out playing golf for the last 3 days.....Spyglass Hill on Sunday, The Links at Spanish Bay on Monday and Pebble Beach yesterday. It rained, but playing Pebble Beach in any kind of weather is better than working, IMHO.

------------------------
Jim Breazeale
OWNER
EASY
www.easypor.com
Registry Member #825

Post generated using Mail2Forum via email.
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

John Clarke
356 Fan

#19 Post by John Clarke »

Hi Jim

Good Low Down on glass removal, will use this, many thanks. No excuse on wacking balls though. (Golf) Get a Life!

Cheers
Jay

Bill Lawless
356 Fan

#20 Post by Bill Lawless »

Had I saw this BEFORE I took the metal trim out while the windshield was still in the car, I probably would not of done it... And the answer is: It is NOT impossible to do, no bends and still plan to reuse it...
Thanks for the info on getting the glass out...
Bill
 Thanks,
Bill
65' 356 SC Cab Irish Green :D
82' SC Targa
81 VW Westfalia with 2015 Forester Engine
BMW 64'-R50/2, 75'-BMW R90/6, 74' BMW R90/6, Yamaha BW350

Jim Hohensee
356 Fan

#21 Post by Jim Hohensee »

This set of tools will be of great help for doing a windshield removal and install. They are very useful for a number of other jobs on our cars, are not expensive and can be found online from a number of sources.
My experience has been that cutting and replacing the rubber is the best way to go. Usually the old rubber is stiff and difficult to work with. The old glass is brittle and very easy to break so a nice pliable new rubber gives you a better chance for success. If you want to reuse the original rubber use soap on it to help with the install. I have done over 40 windshields including conv D and roadster and have not broke one yet. That being said I need to be extra careful on the next one. This is also a job where a extra set of hands is a very good thing to have. Gentle pressure on the outside while you pull the cord on the inside helps a lot.Marking with tape for a center line for positioning is also helpful if not mandatory. Hope this helps!
Attachments
PC100001 (Medium).JPG